Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Two steps forward, one step back.

Seriously, I'm so jaded by all the "Ps3 price drop" talk and speculation; compared to what they've delivered - thus far, it's a huge letdown IMO. "We want you to buy one, but you don't want to pay for it. So, here, you cheapskate, take a crippled system and save your bucks but get it anyway." Come on. I'm not saying I want my cake & eat it too, but their cost cutting methods are really disheartening.

I stand by my "used 20 gig Ps3 or nothing" mentality. When I get one, it'll be a used 20 gig. a) because I don't need the disk space, wireless, or the kitchen sink + bagel toaster add ons and b) because I'd rather spend the least amount possible to get the system capable of playing GoW3, WipeOut HD, Kz2, PixelJunk Racers, and HS.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The last part makes no sense. Removing USB ports would remove support for most peripherals and even disallow you from hooking up the controllers, since PS3 controllers use them, and it wouldn't make a significant price difference.

Backwards compatibility is all done on emulation with the newer models.

I call FUD.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a $399 PS3 though. Maybe 40 GB. We're talking about two rumors though. The SkyNews one claims the 80 GB model will drop in price and lose something. The common rumor is that there will be a 40 GB model at $399.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Even if the PS3 costs as much as a bare-bones Wii I still have not seen any unique must have PS3 games in the particular genres that I like. [And the 'affordable blu-ray player' reason does not do it for me either].

I want to have a good excuse to get a PS3, but I still don't see one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Removing USB ports would also mean you couldn't charge your damn wireless controller? Doesnt make sense.

I'd say a 40gb SKU will basically just be the 20gb model with a 40gb HDD instead. Period.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
This smells fishy.....I wouldn't past sony to drop a bomb like this then ruin it with the USB thing. removing the USB ports don't sound very inteligent IMO....How will I charge the controller?

Bless

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This smells fishy.....I wouldn't past sony to drop a bomb like this then ruin it with the USB thing. removing the USB ports don't sound very inteligent IMO....How will I charge the controller?

Bless

I haven't seen the video but maybe they mean the memory card slot? I don't think anyone is really using those...

Antares

macrumors 68000
That's probably just the 80GB model with the Dual Shock 3 controller or the 80GB model without the pack-in game. Or..it's the new the 160GB model...or, it's the upcoming PS3 Slim. Or...I have no idea. :confused:

And if they're truly extending the 5 free movies promotion, one would hope that they have a better selection of "free" movies. The ones from the last promotion were not that enticing.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
rumor: they will release the 160GB model at $599, drop the price of the 80GB model, and sell all remaining 60GB models at a reduced price($399 maybe) to clear stock yet again.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Apparently a leaked Bestbuy stock form says that a 40GB model w/ spiderman is due at the end of the month.

I just hope if this is true that people will finally stop whining about the PS3's price and stating that it is d00m3d

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ would be nice if true. But if it really is stock clearance (again) then the $399 won't last.

I wonder if we'll see any price changes here? lol, I almost convinced myself!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^ would be nice if true. But if it really is stock clearance (again) then the $399 won't last.

I wonder if we'll see any price changes here? lol, I almost convinced myself!

Plus, both the HD DVD and Blu-ray camps have new 5 free movie deals (the old deal ended in September) that last through the holidays.

The new free titles are still a bit shakey, hey but 5 free movies are 5 free movies!!!

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
40 gig Ps3 popped up in the UPC code database
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/02/rumor-40gb-ps3-shows-up-in-upc-database/

Looks like this is true; just waiting for Sony to confirm I suppose. :confused:

Good idea, they need it right now especially with the holidays coming up.
Microsoft is rumored to be putting together some 360 w 2 game pack in bundles for the holidays as well. Man shopping this year is going to be ugly...good thing we do all our Christmas shopping in Oct./Nov. :D

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I just hope if this is true that people will finally stop whining about the PS3's price and stating that it is d00m3d

You should know better than that. It will become "Look how desperate Sony is, PS3 is doomed":D

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Good idea, they need it right now especially with the holidays coming up.
Microsoft is rumored to be putting together some 360 w 2 game pack in bundles for the holidays as well. Man shopping this year is going to be ugly...good thing we do all our Christmas shopping in Oct./Nov. :D

Hopefully MS will put those new chips/heatsink in all 360 just in time for the holidays and make it a real deal.

I see another boost in sales if Sony pulls this off then we could really focus on games and online stuff and stop worrying about whos not making enough money.

....I wonder if this is the Big Bang happening on Oct. 12th.....maybe sony acquired another "important" studio....take two

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.