Safari 4.0 Final (Tabs gone down, noooo!!!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBX, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Ok i'm really mad now. I was one of the few people that really loved the tabs on top, it not only looked much more sleek but saved some space too and didn't annoy me with the windows resizing itself whenever tabs were removed or created.

Why did they change it back again, were they not confident enough in their own idea they started with S 4.0 beta?

Can you at least give me an option switchbox to revert back? - Anybody know if a terminal command would work on this?

What about the URL-bar? Kind of ugly too now, no progress loader whatsoever, very practical... NOT.

2. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I fully expect a workaround to show up. Someone located some files earlier which implied that the final was still capable of doing tabs on top...just gotta figure out how to activate it.

I like tabs on bottom for my main system which has plenty of screen but on my Mini9 I really liked tabs on top for the extra space to view sites.

3. Rayban macrumors member

Rayban

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I am in complete agreement. Though the ability to pull a tab out into its own window is still there, the placement sucks (I liked them up top, plus it was nice to not lose any screen space when using tabs, especially on smaller laptop screens and the like) and you can't place a tab in an already open window (another feature that turned me from a daily Firefox user to a daily 4.0 beta user). If this is the final, it's back to Firefox for me, as the Frontrow-style favorites thing isn't enough to get me to switch over, especially since there isn't a solid ad/image blocking app for Safari...

Seriously, they were on the right track, had lots of great stuff, and just sort of went "meh" and released Safari 3 w/ Frontrow.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Like iammike1 said, I'm sure there's an option that you can enable, probably through Terminal. Like there is for the Leopard dock.

I like the top tabs because they save space. However, when I'm using my tablet to navigate around my computer, I tend to move the window around a bit when switching tabs, so I'm not really sure which is better now. The new Loading icon is pretty cool, though.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, yeah, I do have to give it to the loading icon, that's definitely an improvement.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I think I'm staying with Safari 3 until someone figures out how to turn off "Top Sites" permanently.

8. jmj macrumors member

I don't mind the tabs. They are designed better than they were in Safari 3. Guess it's a matter of preference - if you prefer them on top or not. I didn't mind them at the top, but I thought they were sized wrong, too long horizontally. That could have been easily tweaked though. Surprised they scrapped the whole idea.

What I don't like is the loading bar. It's absolutely hideous and very similar to Opera's loading bar - and the loading bar is one of the reasons I hate Opera. Hopefully there's a way to get the blue progress bar back. If there's not I'll likely switch back to Camino as my daily browser. I really liked the beta - in my limited use, this seems like a step down. . . in pretty much every area. The beta seemed faster.

9. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Can't you just not use Top Sites?

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, but if it's like the beta, it rearranges your book mark bar. Top Sites go to the top sites page, and disappear from the bookmarks bar.

11. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I never had that happen to me in the beta. I had a few sites that were on my bookmark bar that went to Top Sites, and they stayed in the bookmark bar as well.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Maybe I'm not understanding your complaint, but, I see no changes in my bookmarks bar when using Top Sites. The icon for it stays in place whether I'm in Top Sites or on a page. It's the same behavior as the beta.

13. jmj macrumors member

Anyone know if Safari 4 comes with an uninstaller that will kick you back to 3 like the one that came with the beta?

14. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Disappointed that the Tabs on top are gone. I really want it back.

Unfortunately I've been unable to find anything with strings that might be a clue on how to put the tabs back. :mad:

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't know, but I'm sure if you wanted to downgrade you could find an installer for Safari 3 somewhere online. Safari 4, from what I can tell, changes more than just the Safari app in your Applications folder; I tried running it off a thumb drive on a mac that used Safari 3 (this was with the Beta mind you) and it wouldn't open. So I wonder what would happen if you were to try to downgrade.

16. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Am I missing something?

Is it so hard to keep a reload button?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

17. 11800506 macrumors 65816

This disappointed me too! I really enjoyed the tabs at the top! The return to the other location is boring now. It's interesting to see how accustomed I had become to the tabs being on the top since I still am expecting them to be there.

18. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

OMG!!! I miss the tabs, I just started using them, at first I thought, they were pointless since we had the "Top Sites View" I started like two weeks ago. Did the update, like every good Mac user does:rolleyes:, and now I regret it. I just hope they bring it back :(

19. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

The lack of tabs on top is killer. I can't believe they wouldn't at least have this as an option after having it in the beta. I tried playing around with the modifications that were used to disable it in the beta but nothing worked.

20. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I downloaded the beta on two separate machines on the same day, both exhibited this behavior. Really found it annoying, to the point of uninstalling the beta. Now tonite, 'cause I'm a glutton for punishment, I DL'd the final, it's not doing it! :)confused:)

Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, but I swear the beta was doing this to me, ( at least, I swore at the beta, a lot ).

21. mikelcroft macrumors regular

22. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

No offense intended, but you need to get out more. ;)

23. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Yes, you might be. Reload button is at the far left inside of the URL box/window.

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I like seeing the tabs back as they were. What annoys me is Top Sites. So want to disable that.

25. dandaman2 macrumors regular

I agree, I found it super annoying to have lost the previously gained screen real-estate on my 13" - I had disabled the bookmark bar for the extra space previously, but threw it up there because I had the extra room and eventually became reliant on it. Everything I have tried (the Secrets prefpane, which induces a terminal command) has not worked to bring me back to the old way of doing business. When Chrome comes out, with bookmarks, security, and the importation of data, I am switching to it for sure. Unfortunately, I cannot put forward a fix. This post is primarily to subscribe to the thread in hopes a fix will be posted in the near future, but because I could have simply clicked the "subscribe" button, this post is secondarily to cast my vote in favor of the beta tab bar, and the look of beta in general.