Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shirehorse99

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
hope that safari 5 supports web page zoom remembering like firefox for all us oldies with failing eyesight

fed up of pressing cmd+

rtn5000

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
Philadelphia
Safari 5 on PPC?

Is there any chance that Safari 5 will be coming to the PPC as well? (fingers crossed)

I know 10.6.x has a Safari that is a few steps ahead of 10.5.x for the PPC. Which I was reminded of when looking at the HTML demo site apple built (Virtual demo would not work).

Any insight/thoughts?

jaroth12

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
wifi sms

is there any reason apple can't use wifi to send out text messages? I dont have service in much of my house on AT&T but I have wifi everywhere and could use that to send out text messages.

app store apps like text plus can do this but it doesn't work as seamlessly as Apple could make it for many reasons. plus, less data would be used on the network and u could probably downgrade to a cheaper texting plan.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Funny, I felt the exact opposite.

The first time i installed google chrome , it was love at first sight and it still is up to today, it`s the fastest browser out there as far as i`m concern (and i did try them all), it`s the most clean browser out there and on top of that it`s been constantly made better.
As far as Safari 5 , if you got a mac it might be 90% of chrome, if you are on windows don`t bother installing.

Funny thing, I tried Chrome and thought "what's the big deal here?". I found it a tad slower than Safari on most pages and pretty much rendered the same with a few CSS bugs when doing some Dojo development (i.e.: it did not render a few things correctly). I always felt like it was "90% of Safari".

My biggest excitement with Chrome was to setup my browser theme, but alas after searching through 30 or so themes I just did not like the look of it and I got bored with the idea of picking a browser theme. I found I just liked my windows to have a consistent look and feel as it just seemed "cleaner". Chrome stood out too much from the rest of the desktop (and not in a good way).

I heard Google is pretty quick in fixing bugs so maybe I should submit the CSS glitches to them when I have the time (some things work in IE7, IE8, Safari 4, and FF 3.x but fail in Chrome). I just hope their bug submission process is better than you get with their online apps (i.e.: post to some forum and just get responses from other users saying "the same thing happened to me and google never helped me fix it").

I am thinking about switching to Chrome on Linux for my casual browsing, but right now I use clunky Firefox on Linux since that is where I do most of my development and you simply can't beat the Firebug plugin when doing web development (Firebug Lite is not bad for every other browser though). But it would be good to have a decent Webkit browser on Linux (even if its just Google's Windows version compiled against the WINE libraries).

So the moral of the story, to each his own -- just glad we have options to choose from. It really stunk when Internet Explorer was the only viable browser out there. I am excited to see what Safari-5 will offer.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is there any chance that Safari 5 will be coming to the PPC as well? (fingers crossed)

I would imagine so, unless Apple also discontinued the XP version, which I don't see them doing. It would be silly if Safari 5 ran on XP but not Leopard.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I wonder what Safari Reader is like. Is it meant to compete with Google Reader? If it is, I bet Safari Reader will be much slicker and snappier overall.

I don't actually use Google Reader directly at all other than it has an API that lets you sync between devices so your feeds are in the same state across my phone (in Gravity on my Nokia) and in NetNewsWire on my Macs.

If Safari's reader doesn't sync with Google's API then it's going to be worthless duplication and everybody is already using Google's API.

However, I'm not sure 'Safari Reader' is a direct mapping to 'Google Reader'. Safari already has a built in RSS feed reader. Maybe they've done something much more than a simple reader.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

I know 10.6.x has a Safari that is a few steps ahead of 10.5.x for the PPC. Which I was reminded of when looking at the HTML demo site apple built (Virtual demo would not work).

Any insight/thoughts?
My guess is that the chance of Safari 5 shipping for PowerPC architecture is around 0.3%, especially if it's using libraries and APIs only available on Snow Leopard 10.6.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Xcode? Say it isn't so! A developer tool at WWDC...too good to be true. I bet the new features only matter for iPhone, though. :D

I know right? I'm actually excited the WWDC is going to feature something that relates to developers! (Hopefully) :p

shirehorse99

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirehorse99 View Post
hope that safari 5 supports web page zoom remembering like firefox for all us oldies with failing eyesight

No, it support automatic referrals to opthamologists.

these 27" screens with high resolutions need this:)

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirehorse99 View Post

No, it support automatic referrals to opthamologists.

these 27" screens with high resolutions need this:)
My screen actually has a higher pixel density. ;) But yes, I hope they add that feature too.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
My guess is that the chance of Safari 5 shipping for PowerPC architecture is around 0.3%, especially if it's using libraries and APIs only available on Snow Leopard 10.6.

Safari already uses SL-only technologies. They are just disabled in the PPC version (like the sandboxed plugins.)

I think the chances of an intel-only Safari is as likely as an intel and Windows 7-only version of iTunes.

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
The first time i installed google chrome , it was love at first sight and it still is up to today, it`s the fastest browser out there as far as i`m concern (and i did try them all), it`s the most clean browser out there and on top of that it`s been constantly made better.
As far as Safari 5 , if you got a mac it might be 90% of chrome, if you are on windows don`t bother installing.

Chrome can't even play HTML5 video without spinning up my machine's fans. Coupled with the scrolling lag, I had to ditch it.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
in reality, Apple is doing android a big favor..who would buy an android phone if they had the option of buying an iphone on verizon??

Plenty of people buy Android phones (and Symbian and Blackberry) in markets where the networks are all compatible with each other.

Not everybody is in love with the iPhone or wants one or can afford one or thinks it's the best phone out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.