Samsung Again Teases Foldable Smartphone Ahead of February 20 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

1. tallii4 macrumors newbie

But when you look at who did it better, its apple.

Also you didn't even have a counter argument relative to anything I mentioned. All you did was list products that were likely in design/production at similar times for both companies .

Apple Watch for example holds over 50% of the market in smartwatches entirely. Samsung holds barely 10%. Which to me is amazing because an iPhone user can use a Samsung watch with an iPhone, but you can't the other way around. So even iPhone users who are not entirely sold on the ecosystem STILL choose an Apple Watch over a Samsung Gear.

Samsung's earbuds also have a much lower rating, with their first pair (since you care so much about being first) having less than 2 hours of playback time. So again, not doing it better. Just doing it first.

2. gruntersdad macrumors newbie

gruntersdad

My question, will they call it a flip phone.....back to the future.

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

So for you who did it better is the one who sells the most and retains a better market share?

4. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Isn't that the way it works - like even with the telephone? More examples before and after that event.

Even history is written by …

5. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

"In your face, Samsung!". Apple's had foldable iPads for ages!

It's the.... errr.... unfolding that causes a problem.

6. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

Every apple fan will drool after it once Apple has it..

7. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

if it's not a single quick slide or gesture to unfold into a perfectly flat iPad, it's not useful.

8. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I hear they might preview a new watch. Very curious about that. If they made a super small phone I might also be interested.

9. tallii4 macrumors newbie

Better ratings, better market share with support products even though theres a lower market share on actual smartphones (which makes sense because Samsung has their name on ALOT of models besides the Galaxy series). Yeah I'd say thats doing better with it lol.

10. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Samsung's favorite vaporware. They hype this every year and the tech press and their short-term memory fall all over themselves trying to find the right words to breathlessly praise it.

I'll believe this is a viable product when I can try it out in Best Buy. Not holding my breath.

11. mebe macrumors newbie

Who in the right mind would think the hinged screen is a good idea, can you imagine the phone falling from your hand while you are folding, this is a recipe for disaster.

12. ldandp0 macrumors newbie

LTE Series 4 Apple Watch 44mm, iPhone XS Max, 11" iPad Pro, 4th Gen Apple TV, Airport Extreme (the tall one), Early 2014 MacBook Air, AirPods, HomePod

13. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

It’s been a dream of mine to break two Gorilla Glass panes in one drop.

14. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Just give me an iPhone SE 2 and I'll be happy. I don't want to be hauling a brick, in the same way that I don't want to be hauling a phablet.

15. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

are you using all that stuff by yourself from your footer - what are you doing with a 1tb 11 inch ipad. if you watch movies a bigger one is far superior?!?

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

You’ve gotta chase those dreams, Mac! Buy an old iPhone 4; they’re about $20–30 now. Or, hell, buy an iPhone X, XS, or XS Max.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That was the exact response from those about smart watches years back, And look how that changed. You have to be open to the possibility of looking at things differently, and I think that the smart phone market is stagnated and redundant. Why not put something out there that is new and innovative, and even though this might be a very ‘niche’ category, you would have those who might be interested in a foldable device, if it proves that it would benefit them. I for one, think this technology is fairly interesting and curious to see where it leads.

18. ROGmaster, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:15 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:21 AM

ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

I'm sure Apple is nowhere near at the same development level Samsung is with it's foldable displays but at around 2-3 years behind at least.
    Apple is not waiting for anything, they simple don't have the ability to launch a phone with a foldable screen right now.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:19 AM ---
    Really? to me it looks like Samsung is slower these days in comparison to other Android OEMs like Huawei, Vivo or Oppo.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:29 AM ---
    It's 2019 man, get with the times.

19. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    etc.

Sounds like back when some people asked, "Who wants a screen bigger than 4 inches."

There should be a special list kept of folks who say things like this...

... who will be forced to wait an extra few years before being allowed to buy one :)

20. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I am looking forward to see this. I think the price, when it actually comes, will be a sticker shocker for a while before it come down.

21. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I am not sure why you would assume that. They can get foldable screens from a number of their partners (LG, Samsung) and I would bet the biggest tech company in the world is at least experimenting with the concept. Currently, there just isn't a ton of value there. Once the tech matures, and if there is a market, Apple will make their move. No reason to rush into it just to be first. Huawei and Samsung can have at it for the time being.

22. jamesrick80, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 8:09 AM

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I use every device in some for or another hence I have almost every OS and I prefer watching movies on my Galaxy book 12 in HDR w/ Super Amoled or tab S4 (better picture quality for movies).....thanks

I enjoy tech what can I say............and my signature only has my main devices not the ones I rarely pickup anymore.

Furthermore, the smaller screen on the 11 inch ipad is slightly better in terms of overall display quality than the 12.9 inch for some reason and I played with both...............and its perfect for traveling....can't have a dinosaur tagging along with me.

23. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Are normal iPhones/iPads that aren’t perfectly flat (camera bump) not useful?

24. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

So Samsung will have a foldable phone before Apple has a charging mat. Lol. Gotta love the faithful that have so much blind loyalty to a company that develops nothing to forward the industry as a whole. Samsung has brought OLED mainstream, phablets mainstream, influenced Android more than any other OEM, and now they'll push the industry towards making foldable displays the new standard for flagship phones. If every company was like Apple, where profits alone dictate direction of new products, we'd still all be holding a 3.5 inch lcd device. Pathetic.

25. maverick2007 macrumors regular

Excellent reply - IMHO surface is more useful in office than Gaming ipad.