Samsung Galaxy Note looks like the coming iPhone 5!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dingclancy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

In the video that thing looks large in the hand!

While I'm all about screen real estate, there has to be a balance between portability and screen size. At what point does a phone become a tablet? The iPhone was a step up in size from the cell phone I was using before. I can imagine all the comments, like "Is that a Samsung Galaxy Note in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

2. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Where's a pic where someone making a call with that! :D Plus, it's not coming out till next year. Guess, they want to see what apple does! Can't wait what Apple might bring!:rolleyes:

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Feck thats a huge phone! Not sure it would fit in my work pants! I think too big but id need to see it in the flesh!

4. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

dude..that thing is HUGE !!!!

btw yes wtf samsung copying the music aswell..

****** them

5. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

You're getting carried away there bud. One phone does not quantify profit taking? Gimme a break.:rolleyes:

I never had a issue with their home button and I owned all the iphones ever made, neither do I know of anyone who has.

Samsung build quality is garbage in comparison to Apple. I owned quite a few Samsung's. I have the Galaxy S 2 and for travel and it is nice, but the build quality compared to the iphone 4 is laughable. Glass and steel vs plastic and glass.

Yeah. Close call.

5.3 inch screen on a phone. Why? Seriously.

Samsung is clearly coping off of Apple. They have Apple's designs and most likely have their designs for the iphone 5 since they make quite a few chips like the A5 and memory for the iphone.

I can see why now Apple is sueing them. Commercial has a piano theme which is the same to. :apple:

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This phone looks nothing like any Apple phone, drawing that conclusion is grasping at straws. And why would making the A5 have anything to do with having the design for the upcoming iPhone. The Ad has some similarities, but that is where they end.

7. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    +1 Or in my shirt pockets with buttondown flaps.
    I often miss having a stylus, as I was used to sketching out dimensions before going to Home Depot etc. It would need to have a storage slot, though.

That, plus a larger screen is always welcome for us older folk :)

Can't wait for HTC to do something like this. They would put a kickstand on.

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It slides into the bottom of the phone as far as i can tell

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I dont understand why ppl want a huge phone? it's nice don't get me wrong but maybe I'm biased because I feel the iPhone is perfect in size. I can't imagine putting that in my pocket.

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

That phone will easily fit in your pocket.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and I can easily slide it into my front pockets, the cargo pockets on my pants/shorts and even the back pockets of some of my pants. Even with the case on

With the case on, my tab measures 12.2 cm wide X 19 cm tall X 1.3 cm deep.

This phone might be a little difficult to operate with one hand, but you'll be able to tote it around just fine.

11. mjlawrence macrumors newbie

Exactly what I was thinking. What automatically makes everyone think that this new Samsung is anything like the iPhone 5 when the iPhone 5 hasn't been announced yet? I know there's the little Photo Stream drawing that Apple have released, but that's an awfully shaky reason on which to base such an assertion.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why so many don't understand that not everybody has the same tastes/needs/wants.

The size of the iP4 is perfect for you, great. Some people want a larger screen. Some people want a smaller screen. Not to mention a great deal of other things in regards to features.

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Id really like to hold it so see how it feels in the hand. I have a 4" phone at the moment (Omnia7) which is a great size and my mate has a GSII which is even bigger. This however is the daddy!

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

looks sick.. would get it but android is to unsatisfying........iphone 5 i wait for you....untill then the 3gs will keep me going.....

15. dvoros macrumors 6502

Samsung's got the right idea

Now your talking. This is what size a smart device should be since its no longer just a phone. Amazing screen and size. Love it for the the iPhone 5 but I don't think Apple will give us that.:(

16. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Lol 5.3 screen wtf?

"introducing the new Samsung note" "A large Amoled screen that can also be used as a chopping board to prepare various vegetables"

"also included in the box is a holster because we understand you're pockets are not big enough"

Honestly this is too big for a phone!!:confused:

17. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

im with you ... the 3gs phone is too small but i may get the infuse 4g asa backup.....i dont like none apple phones that have that one button its confusing..........

18. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Samsung has 2.8" up to 10.1" screen sized android devices. They are missing something in the 6" range though. Will it be a tablet or a phone? Or both :p

19. PhoneI macrumors 68000

why would anyone want to carry around a monster sized phone like this? This is more tablet than phone.

20. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

22. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Aye, it's narrower than my wallet too, but then again, my wallet isn't nearly 6" deep either, or made of hard, inflexible material...FFS.

I happen to have a calculator here on my desk that is very close to those dimensions, and sure, it fits in my pocket...just. Would I want to walk around with something so bulky in my pocket? No. Does it fit the hand nicely? Hell no. Would you look like an idiot talking into what is effectively a small tablet? Hell yes.

23. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Regarding the size, I can totally see why some people would want one - big screen without the need to carry a tablet, certainly an advantage for some.

For me though the issue isn't so much how well it fits in a pocket or how stupid you'll look using it as a phone, but can you use it comfortably held in one hand controlling with your thumb (write an email/text, navigate the web or apps, etc)?

But that's just because those are the most common tasks I use a phone for, if other people do things that would be better with a huge screen then that's cool :)

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Let me explain how manufacturing works. If Apple paid 50 cents for the buttons on the iPhone 4, instead of $1.00 per button as they did on the prior models, they are saving 50 cents per button, times the millions of phones they sell, if your good at math, you can figure out just how much money they saved which translates into massive profits. That's profit taking.

It's an indisputable fact that Apple has grown into one of the largest, most profitable companies in the world, by charging high prices for their products. Therefore by cutting corners, and maintaining what is widely reported as a 30% profit margin as compared to the competitions 7%, you can easily see how much Stevie Boy is lining the companies coffers with.

One look at their stock price will also confirm this. And I know from a first hand position, as I have been an Apple shareholder for over 15 years.

I'm happy for you and your friends, but this proves absolutely nothing.

If you do a search of this forum, there are many threads where the buttons are failing. It's a real problem. Apple typically likes to stick their head in the sand, and deny they build anything less than a perfect product. That's why they have the gall, to actually ask those coming in out of the warranty by a short few months to hand over $200.

There is a widely held concept in legal circles, it's called "Reasonable Service Life". For this button to fail this early, is not reasonable service life. Not when Apple has a track record of never having a home button issue on the years of prior models.

Garbage is what you put into the can.

I seriously think that people all over the world that buy Samsung Smartphones beginning with the Galaxy S series, would agree with you. I've had three now and they are quite nice.

Welcome to 2011, many products are made of plastic including a lot of highly stressed car parts and other components, so the myth that plastic isn't any good died in the 1950's. Material quality and sophistication is far superior today

I do respect your preference for a tiny screen, we all have different values.

However world wide, there is not one high end full featured Android smartphone that has a display smaller than a full 4.0" and ranging to over 5". So instead taking a narrow view of only the US, I prefer to take the big picture Global View.

The demand for the Galaxy S II is very high and that's why we are getting them last as compared to other countries. I was fortunate enough to be overseas on a business trip when they were released in the UK, and I bought one there. Brought it home to use on the AT&T network, and it's been stellar.

Finally I have included two links from the worlds foremost wireless phone site. One for the iPhone and one for the Galaxy S II. You will notice the voting poll results. One where people from all over the world rate the phones.

You will notice the iPhone is only rated at 6.9 out of 10.
    http://goo.gl/Tzwi

The Samsung Galaxy S II is rated at an impressive 8.8 out of 10.
    http://goo.gl/qcOQw

That speaks volumes about how a vast number of people all over the world view these two products.

Cheers :)