Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have always admired what Samsung does in trying to limit camera lenses protrusion. Those are almost flash with the body.
With my thin silicone case on there's no lens bumps at all on my s22 Ultra. It's a beautiful form factor (minus my whining about the edge display 🤣). I wish my 14 Pro Max could feel as light as this phone and not have that debris-trapping lens bump. I'm pretty eager to see the iphone 15 leaks. Surely they've got to have a plan to streamline the looks by now. One would hope so, anyway.

Reactions: jamezr

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
With my thin silicone case on there's no lens bumps at all on my s22 Ultra. It's a beautiful form factor (minus my whining about the edge display 🤣). I wish my 14 Pro Max could feel as light as this phone and not have that debris-trapping lens bump. I'm pretty eager to see the iphone 15 leaks. Surely they've got to have a plan to streamline the looks by now. One would hope so, anyway.
The iPhones "stove" is not going away anytime soon.

• Sad
Reactions: jamezr and 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I just like the way that the curved display looks and how it feels in the hand, i understand that i'm probably in the minority. Using the S-pen would probably be better on a flat screen, i have experienced the S-pen slide off the corner occasionally.

I'm probably in a rare minority here but i brought a iPhone 14 Pro max last Saturday, all because i much prefer the Apple Watch over the Galaxy Watch 4 when exercising. I also brought the Apple Watch Ultra because i run daily, complete marathons and regularly train for distance races (at least 10K), it's worth it (the battery life alone is worth it). Anyway i'm rambling, BUT i also love my Samsung S22 Ultra so i use both phones since i have no intention of removing the S22 Ultra from my life. Depending on the trade in deals, i will probably trade in my S22 Ultra for the 23 Ultra.
How did you find a IP 14 Pro I was on the UK 10 days back and both pro models were like hens teeth to find ?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Well done :) think they only had large storage sizes left when I looked I got a 14 Pro only as its just a 2nd phone for our UK sims
Yea I was very lucky as I managed to get the 128gb version in deep purple. The next time I looked it had gone. It’s just a second phone for me too, as I really love my S22 Ultra.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Depending on how much samsung offer to trade in my S22 ultra, I will probablybe tempted to get the 23 ultra. The temption is definitely there with us in the UK getting the SD version for the first time ever :), hopefully it will help improve battery life. Also the 200mp camera sounds interesting.

Reactions: 5105973

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
What about the standard S23?
No interest in the smallest Samsung flagship??

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Anyone remember what the trade in deal was when pre ordering the S22 Ultra in the UK? If I remember correctly it was a good deal.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am really torn. I have heard rumors about the Samsung s23 plus using the same 1080p display. I just recently got a Pixel 7 Pro because I had to get rid of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It has a quad hd resolution display and so does my 13 Pro Max. So now comparing against the s22 plus I have I can tell a difference and I don't like it.

I am not a fan of curved edge displays but it seems all the high end Android phone use them. Using the Pixel 7 Pro the curve is a lot better than it used to be but as Grumpymom has said the screen just feels more vulnerable to scratches and trying to put a tempered glass screen protector is almost impossible.

So do I just deal with the curve and enjoy the higher resolution on the alpha Omega supreme s23 ultra or do I enjoy a flat screen and deal with just full hd.

It has been a long time since I had an ultra/note device. I don't care about s pen but the design of the ultra is really nice.

For now I am getting used to the Pixel 7 Pro. I feel it is a bit of a step down from my iPhone 13 Pro Max but I am furious with T mobile customer service and after a month of dealing with them I just can't use t mobile anymore and my iPhone is stubbornly locked to their network even though it should meet their requirements to unlock. Long story.

No way I am getting the 14 Pro Max because Apple is giving a low trade in value and esim.

I may try an iPhone 13 mini but then no Ultra so I think until next year I will be all Android on my phone. Of course with a lot of family and friends on iPhone and having a Mac and iPad it complicates things....

By the way Grumpymom, have you tried the Pixel 7 Pro in terms of the display and how it affects you? Is it better or worse, or you haven't seen it yet? It is a different display than the P6P?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I am really torn. I have heard rumors about the Samsung s23 plus using the same 1080p display. I just recently got a Pixel 7 Pro because I had to get rid of my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It has a quad hd resolution display and so does my 13 Pro Max. So now comparing against the s22 plus I have I can tell a difference and I don't like it.

I am not a fan of curved edge displays but it seems all the high end Android phone use them. Using the Pixel 7 Pro the curve is a lot better than it used to be but as Grumpymom has said the screen just feels more vulnerable to scratches and trying to put a tempered glass screen protector is almost impossible.

So do I just deal with the curve and enjoy the higher resolution on the alpha Omega supreme s23 ultra or do I enjoy a flat screen and deal with just full hd.

It has been a long time since I had an ultra/note device. I don't care about s pen but the design of the ultra is really nice.

For now I am getting used to the Pixel 7 Pro. I feel it is a bit of a step down from my iPhone 13 Pro Max but I am furious with T mobile customer service and after a month of dealing with them I just can't use t mobile anymore and my iPhone is stubbornly locked to their network even though it should meet their requirements to unlock. Long story.

No way I am getting the 14 Pro Max because Apple is giving a low trade in value and esim.

I may try an iPhone 13 mini but then no Ultra so I think until next year I will be all Android on my phone. Of course with a lot of family and friends on iPhone and having a Mac and iPad it complicates things....

By the way Grumpymom, have you tried the Pixel 7 Pro in terms of the display and how it affects you? Is it better or worse, or you haven't seen it yet? It is a different display than the P6P?
You know what Android high end phone doesn't use a curved screen? ZFold 4. :D

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You know what Android high end phone doesn't use a curved screen? ZFold 4. :D
I stand corrected.

I was talking about candy bar phones specifically but you are correct.

I really don't get the appeal of a folding phone. I would go crazy with the crease and if I am not mistaken it has to use a plastic screen. People complain about Victus glass scratching but of you look at the plastic wrong it will scratch. Lol

Plus it is thicker when closed. I would like it if the fold out screen could be bigger but at like 8" it isn't much bigger than my phone? I think 11" is the perfect size for a tablet and any smaller isn't much more useful than a phone?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I really don't get the appeal of a folding phone. I would go crazy with the crease and if I am not mistaken it has to use a plastic screen. People complain about Victus glass scratching but of you look at the plastic wrong it will scratch. Lol
Umm.. it's one of those things you have to experience it for yourself. Because as Fold user for 2 years... the primary appeal is the bigger screen. And most people criticize the crease... but I personally don't have a huge problem, is it a negative? Absolutely. But I find the positives outweigh the negatives.

Plus it is thicker when closed. I would like it if the fold out screen could be bigger but at like 8" it isn't much bigger than my phone? I think 11" is the perfect size for a tablet and any smaller isn't much more useful than a phone?
True, it's thicker when closed. Obviously, the bigger the real estate on a device... the better. But you have to take into account portability as well. 7-8" is the sweet spot and anything larger than that, you are sacrificing portability at that point.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Umm.. it's one of those things you have to experience it for yourself. Because as Fold user for 2 years... the primary appeal is the bigger screen. And most people criticize the crease... but I personally don't have a huge problem, is it a negative? Absolutely. But I find the positives outweigh the negatives.

True, it's thicker when closed. Obviously, the bigger the real estate on a device... the better. But you have to take into account portability as well. 7-8" is the sweet spot and anything larger than that, you are sacrificing portability at that point.
I am not knocking anyone who has a folding phone or likes them. I can see the reasons why people like them.

I am talking personally as I would totally obsess over the crease and scratches to the display. If they can develop either a very scratch resistant plastic or a bendable glass and there was no crease it would peak my interest a lot more.

For me until they can get the price down and the screen durability, scratch resistance and crease improved I will be skipping. However if I was gifted such a device or got one in some crazy trade deal I might reconsider.

At the end of the day choice is good and if you enjoy it and it works for you that is all that matters!
I get what you are saying about portability but what I am saying is for me to have a folding phone replace my tablet like the s8 I would want a larger screen. So for me it would never be able to replace my tablet and there are a lot of drawbacks in my opinion to the design at least for now.

You are right though if I had one in my hand my opinion might change because I would probably just like such a different type of device.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think the Fold is awesome and I don’t even have it because I’m too chicken to try to switch from iPhone again. 🤣

Reactions: The Game 161

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am not knocking anyone who has a folding phone or likes them. I can see the reasons why people like them.

I am talking personally as I would totally obsess over the crease and scratches to the display. If they can develop either a very scratch resistant plastic or a bendable glass and there was no crease it would peak my interest a lot more.

For me until they can get the price down and the screen durability, scratch resistance and crease improved I will be skipping. However if I was gifted such a device or got one in some crazy trade deal I might reconsider.
You have quite a few "if" statements... lol.

At the end of the day choice is good and if you enjoy it and it works for you that is all that matters!
I get what you are saying about portability but what I am saying is for me to have a folding phone replace my tablet like the s8 I would want a larger screen. So for me it would never be able to replace my tablet and there are a lot of drawbacks in my opinion to the design at least for now.
I completely understand what you are saying. But for me...I think of the Galaxy Fold as a phone first and foremost, it being a tablet is just a plus. And I'll still prefer having an iPad along with a Galaxy Fold.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You have quite a few "if" statements... lol.

I completely understand what you are saying. But for me...I think of the Galaxy Fold as a phone first and foremost, it being a tablet is just a plus. And I'll still prefer having an iPad along with a Galaxy Fold.
I think the folds are great The Z fold 4 has basically made me get rid of the iPad mini and I use my iPad pro 12.9 a lot less now. I basically use my iPad pro for mainly just media on YouTube or watching live football and basketball. Having that 12.9 pro size is great and why I will keep using it but the fold basically makes me use the fold out and about for media and content while using on the sofa you can easily use it to browse and multitask on the sofa being lazy where the iPad pro is far too big to do such tasks. The crease really is a non issue in most situations certainly when watching content. That said would it be good to see it reduced? Of course and I’m sure it will each year. No different to the notch and certainly less noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.