Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Got to love capitalism...
sign supply deals with them on one side, defame them on the other side, with the same product you sell them supplies for.

That's not really meaningful. The Samsung that makes LCD panels is pretty far removed from the Samsung that sells phones. In between the two is the Samsung that makes washing machines (which ironically also had an exploding problem a few years back) and defense systems (which also involve making things explode).

Reactions: philosoraptor1

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If that is the only reason you are switching phones, then that does not make sense. You will spend between 700 to 900 on a phone instead of replacing headphones for wireless ones which cost much less? the headphone jack is antiquated anyway and the future is wireless, I still don't understand why this is a big deal. Do you still use a floppy disk on your computer too or CD-Rom.

If you don’t understand it then you will never understand it. You, like most people value convenience over quality. The headphone jack actually is not antiquated. All high end head-fi are still wired. That is not going to change anytime soon. And no, beats, AirPods and Bose are not hifi.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The ads don’t work. You seen Apple’s sales? Apple is crushing Samsung. Apple has sold over $100B in iPhones in 180 days in F2018.

The ads JUST CAME OUT and you claim they don't work?

"Apple is crushing Samsung"? Doesn't look like it to me...Samsung shipped more phones and has greater marketshare.
2018-07-20_8-49-31.jpg

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This is just like Chevy jabbing Ford because Ford uses an aluminum bed on the F-150. Chevy will be using an aluminum bed soon.

Samsung will drop the 3.5mm jack sooner than later as well.

Except that your Chevy vs Ford argument actually is a valid point. Trucks are meant to haul things, so using a material that will easily be damaged while trying to haul things, while also chopping two cylinders off all in the name of playing catch-up in the MPG wars, shows that Ford is inferior to Chevy. The commercial also doesn't make fun of fans of the blue oval.
[doublepost=1532101942][/doublepost]
If you don't expand on that, then you might as well simply have said, "I know you are, but what am I?"

I would have, but responding with just a picture of Pee-Wee is frowned upon in these parts.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you don’t understand it then you will never understand it. You, like most people value convenience over quality. The headphone jack actually is not antiquated. All high end head-fi are still wired. That is not going to change anytime soon. And no, beats, AirPods and Bose are not hifi.

If you're going to make the quality argument, then you can't possibly be serious about implying that you're going to get high quality audio from a phone.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
That's not really meaningful. The Samsung that makes LCD panels is pretty far removed from the Samsung that sells phones. In between the two is the Samsung that makes washing machines (which ironically also had an exploding problem a few years back) and defense systems (which also involve making things explode).

Boomsung
Edit: meant to write BANGSUNG

robsp2000

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
This. Amazing to me that people are still so blinded by the ever-dimming glow of the Apple brand.
Those ads are full of Mac pointing out what it does, not just bashing PC. And the focus was not on minor PC issues. Fast charger and support for a soon to be completely outdated analog port are not the same as viruses, spyware, etc... Completely different types of ads. So not blinded, seems like you might have a little blind hate going on if you can't easily recognize the difference.

Reactions: centauratlas

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The fast charge in the box is coming. It should have been there last year, but is one of those Apple tricks to keep people coming back with their wallets open.

As to the headphone jack, that should have never been taken away, and it led me to consider switching.
Don’t really care about the headphone jack however I know there are a lot of people that do, particularly if you are an audiophile.

I bought the fast charger but only because I was going to use it to fast charge both my iPad Pro and iPhone X. The charger is expensive here (£80). Which is a bit steep considering the competition include it in the box.

Reactions: DanJBS

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Funny, my bootlegs sound pretty good for only being shot on a phone. I haven't yet bought an external mic.

The best camera in the world is the one you have on you when you want to take a shot.

Anyway, the original poster was claiming that consumer speaker and headphone providers didn't qualify as high fidelity while giving a pass to the headphone jack on the phone you'd plug them into instead of the artisanal tube amp and reel-to-reel analog tape deck.

Reactions: LowKeyed

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Those ads are full of Mac pointing out what it does, not just bashing PC. And the focus was not on minor PC issues. Fast charger and support for a soon to be completely outdated analog port are not the same as viruses, spyware, etc... Completely different types of ads. So not blinded, seems like you might have a little blind hate going on if you can't easily recognize the difference.
It’s only outdated because Apple removed it ?

Sure it would have gone away eventually but it’s not outdated.

Reactions: FelixDerKater

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I doubt anyone forgot, but they recognize the differences between the two campaigns. The tone of the ads are very different. The PC character in Apple's ads was a likable guy. Mac and PC got along, and Mac insulted PC. The "Genius" in these ads comes across as well, pretty dumb, and the customers as petty and completely unbelievable. Samsung's ads come across as smug, snarky, and negative. Apple's ads were fun, playful, and friendly.

Again, no love for Samsung here (I own about everything Apple) but I just can't see these like that.

The genius character is answering these customer issues pretty much exactly as they would in real life. One DOES need a dongle to use traditional wired headphones. iPhones DO NOT ship with a wireless charger in the box. Etc. Go into a real Apple store and do their lines and see what you get back from actual Apple salespeople.

Similarly, the customer characters seem very much like a typical retail shoppers asking questions about a product they might want to buy. These seem to represent the non-fanatic who is not overly intoxicated by whatever Apple has decided to put up for sale regardless of what becoming an owner may require of them to be able to use them as they may have been able to use phones in their past. The consumer on the fence about buying an Apple phone vs. a Samsung phone may indeed ask these very kinds of questions and get these very kinds of answers. They may even react in these ways when reality is dropped on them.

Real-world case: I bought someone a brand new X because they were long-term iPhone fans and their 5s was fading. Initially they were very excited to get such a terrific "latest & greatest" gift. And then they realized the other thing in the box- the dongle- was a required bit of added load/hassle. First question: "Why would Apple do this?"... soon followed by whine about not wanting to keep up with the dongle but wanting to keep using their favorite headphones.

Wireless/Airpods are not a complete solution as bluetooth is a very computing device-centric thing. Try the classic scenario of wanting to watch some live TV in ANY airline's seatback TV service with AirPods/bluetooth. You can't. Lightning? Even worse (in terms of connections outside the Appleverse). But good old headphone jacks can plug right in. Ubiquity has it's (massive) consumer benefits beyond the smallish bubble that is the Apple bubble and/or the computing device bubble. Leaving the jack in would not block anyone from enjoying Airpods/Bluetooth or even Lightning connection options. However, it would provide an added option so that one set of headphones could readily connect to EVERYTHING without having to be sure you have some extra part with you. And if "the future" options are legitimately and objectively better, they could win over time by simply being better.

Here Samsung offers an option to connect via Bluetooth too. PLUS the more ubiquitous digital wired connection of USB (Lightning will never be as accepted courtesy of Apple licensing fees). AND the most ubiquitous option is available too. No love for Samsung but highlighting greater consumer utility is an old standby in advertising. If we can be objective, I suspect we all know that having the option of the jack (too) would be better than not having it. For example, if Apple put it back in, none of the cheerleaders would fault Apple... just as they don't rip into Apple for keeping it in every other Apple product that has rolled out since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elgaard

Elian_Gonzalez

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2016
Never see a S9 in the ad. Not sure how effective this type of ad is. Can't see the average consumer following this. It's just dumb advertising.
They are not trying to push a particular phone. They are going after a mindset. Now I know techie boyz need everything spelled out for them, so here, they are tryiing to undermine the competition, which means a different approach.

Don't worry: they will have a product-specific ad with a spinning phone and techo beats galore to satisfy you soon enough.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If you're going to make the quality argument, then you can't possibly be serious about implying that you're going to get high quality audio from a phone.

Obviously you’ve never heard my Audeze LCD-X nor JH audio Angie’s through an iPhone. Always find it amusing when people who haven’t heard what is possible from a phone try to tell me rubbish like this lol. Sure I have external DACs and amps that make the most of my equipment but even straight out of the iPhone they will blow most people’s minds.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The ads JUST CAME OUT and you claim they don't work?

"Apple is crushing Samsung"? Doesn't look like it to me...Samsung shipped more phones and has greater marketshare.
View attachment 771741
Apple make more money than Samsung from phone sales because Apple sell more high end sales. However Samsung being the biggest selling phone manufacturer in the world aren’t doing badly by any means. They’ve just had a great quarter in India, almost overtaking Xiaomi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.