Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natha

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Yeah I think so, the 4k video files are large single files which the Sandisk excels at. Its thousands of tiny files the T5 should be quicker with (and what i'll be benchmarking on it when it arrives)

Many thanks, just ordered a new Sandisk. :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any way to support TRIM on macOS or force trim on Windows?
macOS at this point does not seem to be able to TRIM over USB. Windows can do it using the below command in Powershell (from Anandtech).

What is appears to be doing is sending a SCSI command which the UASP chip in some of these drives can run.

Use the PowerShell command Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter Z -ReTrim -Verbose (assuming that the drive connected to the storage bridge is mounted with the drive letter Z)

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
Thanks for the information. Perhaps with the upcoming new USB 3.2 Standard?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Any way to support TRIM on macOS or force trim on Windows?

Been using the T1 for over two hears now, no difference in performance, so no real need for it. It probably does it's own garbage collection being an external drive.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I bought a 500GB T5 and am very happy with the performance. This is my first Samsung product; I'm using it as storage for my iTunes library. I will certainly buy a 1TB T5 as well; I'm very impressed with spot-on transfer rates and small form factor. Mine barely gets warm, even after sustained transfers. Nice product.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
jmoore wrote:
"I bought a 500GB T5 and am very happy with the performance."

Could you tell us if TRIM is enabled?
You should be able to see this using the "System Information" app.

Another thing to try:
- Open Disk Utility
- "aim it" at the T5
- run the "repair disk" function
- expand the "disclosure arrow" and observe
- do you see a line that says "trimming unused blocks"?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
TRIM Support shows here in Mac mini Fusion drive with macOS 10.12.6 (16G29) Sierra:

Apple - About This Mac - System Report - Hardware - SATA/SATA Express - APPLE SSD SM128E - TRIM Support - Yes

Lisse

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Variable
Just received a Samsung T5. MacOS recognized it immediately. I'm trying to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable disk. But CCC gives me errors:
  • You may have difficulty booting from this destination volume, the underlying disk is not partitioned with a partitioning scheme that Apple recommends for Intel Macs.
  • This destination cannot support a backup of your OS X system files.
  • "Samsung_T5" does not provide support for Access Control Lists. Access Control lists that are associated with files and folders on "Macintosh HD" will not be preserved.
  • "Samsung_T5" does not provide support for hard links. Hard links between files on "Macintosh HD" will not be preserved, each link referent will be copied as a standalone file.
  • "Samsung_T5" does not provide support for file and folder ownership. Any ownership settings that are associated with files and folder on "Macintosh HD" will not be preserved.
So even though it backed up the Macintosh HD (internal 500GB) on the late 2016 Touchbar 15" MBP, it doesn't give the option to boot from it. Also when I open Disk Utility "Partition" is grayed out for the Samsung.

I purchased the drive to clone and boot from the Samsung. Would anyone know how I fix the drive to make it happen? Thank you.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
You need to use Disk Utility to reformat the T5 as "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" before running CCC to clone your system drive to it.

Reactions: ZapNZs

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE Lisse's post 112 above:

matreya is correct.
The T5 drive probably comes out of the box in a non-Mac format.
ALSO -- the drive -may- have a proprietary, "unremovable" partition on it with specialized software (for encryption, etc.).
If this is the case, you may have trouble getting CCC to work with it (CCC wants an HFS+ drive, and it may not be able to deal with hidden partitions).

Try re-initializing the entire drive using Disk Utility to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
Does that work?
If so, try CCC again.
Any better?
If not, tell us about what happens next.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Not only do you need to format it correctly, you also need to change partition table to GUID in Disc utility. I'm not at my computer right now so I can't give clear instructions, but it should be under erase or partition as an option.

Edit: I assume it comes standard as MBR partition table, but it may already be GUID. Just check so you don't have to do everything all over again :). The default file system from the factory is ExFAT if I recall correctly.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Not only do you need to format it correctly, you also need to change partition table to GUID in Disc utility. I'm not at my computer right now so I can't give clear instructions, but it should be under erase or partition as an option.

Edit: I assume it comes standard as MBR partition table, but it may already be GUID. Just check so you don't have to do everything all over again :). The default file system from the factory is ExFAT if I recall correctly.

sounds right - unless you need a pc type format, reformat for mac. The security BS is not something most people need in an external. Ditch it and move on. It was a sales point item not needed by 99% of anyone with a scheme already in mind. Format to suit your platform and be done with it.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
BEWARE encryption. If you absolutely need it, use it at your own risk, but be aware that if disk problems arise, it may be impossible to recover with utilities like DiskWarrior, etc. Encryption? No thanks! Not even for free!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apparently Angelbirds SSD2GOPKT supports it: https://www.angelbird.com/prod/ssd2go-pkt-1031/?category=2
I have this drive
Someone linked that earlier. That does not use the macOS TRIM command, but rather come proprietary utility they made. I suspect what they have done is made that utility send the SCSI UNMAP command to do the same thing as TRIM. So you get the same end result as TRIM, but not using the TRIM command.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Weaselboy wrote:
"That does not use the macOS TRIM command, but rather come proprietary utility they made. I suspect what they have done is made that utility send the SCSI UNMAP command to do the same thing as TRIM. So you get the same end result as TRIM, but not using the TRIM command."

Is there any way to send SCSI UNMAP via the terminal?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy wrote:
"That does not use the macOS TRIM command, but rather come proprietary utility they made. I suspect what they have done is made that utility send the SCSI UNMAP command to do the same thing as TRIM. So you get the same end result as TRIM, but not using the TRIM command."

Is there any way to send SCSI UNMAP via the terminal?
Not in macOS unfortunately. Windows can do it with the Powershell command Optimize-Volume and appropriate switches.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Samsung T5 1 TB HFS+ Sierra, on 2017 iMac 27" i5 7600 with 1 TB SSD:

SamsungT5.jpg

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have the T3, I get roughly 400 MB/s read and write. So not much of an upgrade?
Well, I wouldn't upgrade from a T3 to a T5, but my benches are roughly 20-25% faster than yours. Not insignificant. So for me, the extra bit of money spent to get the T5 instead of the T3, and the extra included cable, makes it worth it. The case is all metal too.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I have the T3, I get roughly 400 MB/s read and write. So not much of an upgrade?

Probably not for you.

But remember... it's still an mSATA drive inside... with a SATA-to-USB controller and all of its overhead. There are limits and it looks like they're approaching them.

Also... larger capacities are usually faster due to an increased number of chips inside. What size do you have?

Notice the comment above... they're hitting 474MB/s and 505MB/s on a 1TB model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.