Samsung Responds to SquareTrade's Galaxy S6 Edge Bend Test

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last Friday, third-party warranty firm SquareTrade released its findings of high-pressure testing on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and HTC One M9, showcasing some pretty dramatic results once the phones hit certain pressure thresholds. Today, Samsung has responded with testing and results of its own, asking SquareTrade to conduct a new test under the guidance of its official findings.

[​IMG]
    Samsung points out that the 110 lbs of force exerted on the Galaxy S6 Edge to result in the cracked-glass warning is far from a normally occurring real-world circumstance, with the average force generated "when a person presses the back pocket" being around 66 lbs of force.

The company tested the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge and found the two phones weren't bendable even up to 79 lbs of force, "which is equivalent to putting pressure to snap a bundle of five pencils at once."

Samsung continued to point out that SquareTrade's video failed to showcase the higher strength of the Galaxy S6 Edge's backside, which in normal circumstances would face equal amount of pressure as the front. With these facts in mind, the company decided to make a force-test video of its own to showcase its results.

Stating these reasons, Samsung says it will deliver its statement to SquareTrade and ask the firm to perform the stress test once again, mainly targeting both the front and back sides of the phone, and publish its new findings to the public. Apple faced a similar damage control situation last year following the first wave of "Bendgate", going so far as to allow reporters into its testing labs to showcase various iPhone 6 Plus durability tests to the media outlets in attendance.

Article Link: Samsung Responds to SquareTrade's Galaxy S6 Edge Bend Test

2. Nimrad macrumors 6502

3. cmChimera, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015

cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I find it somewhat funny that Samsung is now trying to say rational things in defense of bending, when they mocked Apple last year. On the other hand, this bending thing is asinine and everybody should stop bending phones.

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

These bend tests are silly. If somebody is dumb enough to put a slab of metal and glass into their back pocket and then sit on it, they should expect it to bend.

5. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

6. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I guess Samsung doesn't like it much, when the shoe is on the other foot...

7. sp3k0psv3t, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015

sp3k0psv3t macrumors regular

sp3k0psv3t

Of course lol. What did you expect Samsung to say or do....

"if you don't like the results you get, ask a different question"

8. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

So anyone that has more than 66 lbs of weight on their azzzzz will bend the phone if they put it in their back pocket.

Who carries their phone in their back pocket?

9. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

10. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

The music was so hip and trendy! Makes me really follow their message.

11. sundragon macrumors regular

sundragon

Can't wait for the Apple ad that mocks Samsung's S6...

Karma is a B*tch!

12. ForzaJuve macrumors member

"Some smartphones have different durability in each the front and back sides respectively. SquareTrade has only tested the front side, which may mislead consumers about the entire durability of smartphones."

Wait, so I suggest that Samsung places an arrow on the phone pointing which way it should face inside the pocket, otherwise you are pocketing it wrong.

13. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

This is all pretty dumb, but just to get this straight, Samsung's response is "don't bend it so hard" and "maybe the back will survive"?

14. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It sounds like they're even stealing Apple's excuse.

15. BCWorld macrumors 6502

BCWorld

A match made in bent heaven, a bent iphone 6 and a bent samsung s6.. :confused:

16. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

With enough pressure, I can bend a locomotive. :rolleyes:

18. janderson0719 macrumors 6502

janderson0719

I do.

I just don't sit on it when it's in my back pocket.

19. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Maybe some people should just start taking better care of their stuff.

20. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Really a non story. Don't sit on your phone - whatever type of phone it is.

Putting your phone in back pocket increases the chance of some low life stealing it.

21. knemonic macrumors 6502a

The key difference here is Apple won't put out ads pointing this out.

22. CE3 macrumors 65816

23. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Well...any press is good press. Not like the sales for S6 are setting any records.

24. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I don't think Apple is going to do that.

#1: Mudslinging isn't classy. People tend to look down on you/your brand if you do that.
    #2: You don't compare yourself to your competitor when you're more popular than your competitor. Apple was able to attack Windows years ago because of how much smaller marketshare Apple had than Microsoft in desktop computers. Microsoft is similarly able to attack Apple right now in the mobile space. In the US, Apple wouldn't be seen as an underdog if they attacked Samsung in an ad.

Anyways...

Samsung's test seems pathetic. Their response to claims that their phone breaks at 110 lbs is to demonstrate that their phones don't break at 80 lbs. It's irrelevant - nobody claimed your phones broke at 80 lbs and it'd be quite pathetic if they did. The claim is that your phones break at 110 lbs, and you in no way refuted that.

25. 0007776 Suspended

I'm sure it will in a generation or two when phone makers figure out how to strengthen their phones so there is no need to worry about them bending in normal use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.