Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Samsung is only "forced" by group agreement if their patents were included in the ETSI standards patent pool.

Apparently these patents were not included as part of the essential standards (and are not covered under FRAND terms), but were used to enhance WCDMA operation by many companies, including Infineon.

Apple said they thought they had paid the patent fees via Intel, however Intel didn't buy Infineon until this year. Therefore the fees for all the chips that Infineon built before Intel took over, have not been paid.

Apple has, I think, conceded that point and now the debate is only over what is a reasonable amount.

Samsung is asking for 2.4% of the chip price per patent. E.g. if the chip costs $20, and there's three patents, then about $1.50 per phone.

Apple wants the patents declared to be covered under FRAND, to get a lower rate than that. It seems likely to me that they will at least eventually get a lower rate.

TL;DR - Some of Samsung's patents are not covered under FRAND rules, but Apple would like them to be.

Great.
Please link some sources that clearly state that some of the patents are not covered under FRAND. After, please link to those patents which are not covered under FRAND terms.

Thanks

DJ Dilbert

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/samsung-vs-apple-copying.jpg?w=640&h=5748

I'm glad someone put this up again.

Samsung blatantly ripped Apple off on their IP (shown above), which is why Apple filed suit against them. Apple is not infringing on any of Samsung's IP even slightly.

I really don't see how any of this is going to hold up in court. All I see is one company crying about not being allowed to copy someone's ideas.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Which is why Apple's pull-down notification centre in iOS 5 is almost identical to the pull-down notifications that Android has had for a long time?

It's different when Apple copies because Steve makes Magical farts.

----------

Samsung blatantly ripped Apple off on their IP (shown above), which is why Apple filed suit against them. Apple is not infringing on any of Samsung's IP even slightly.

I really don't see how any of this is going to hold up in court. All I see is one company crying about not being allowed to copy someone's ideas.

Don't go home mad Appleboy.... just go home.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Just remember Samsung, your consumers in those countries can easily stop buying all of your products. I know if I as a consumer were in that position, I would boycott all Samsung products. Unreal.

I hate to break it to you but while it's possible to boycott Apple products it's downright impossible to boycott Samsung products. Their electronics are inside of just about every consumer electronic product out there. When you buy Apple you also support Samsung. So, in order for you to boycott Samsung you'll have to boycott Apple. Nice, eh?

antbikerjl

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Q2 2011
Samsung:
Revenue: $33.21 billion
Net income: $2.96 billion
Samsung stop reporting tablet & smartphone sales figures.

Apple:
Revenue: $24.67 billion
Net income: $5.99 billion
Apple quite happy to share unit SALES.

Apple has less revenue but double the income. Who would you rather be.

That also shows very little. You need to understand that Samsung is BEHEMOTH of a company. What you fail to realize is the profits Samsung was making when Apple was barely making any years and years ago. Also, based on how most Asian providence work, Samsung DOES NOT need to account for their subsidiaries in their revenue/income/profit reports. So in essence, companies Samsung fully owns in one sense or another are not accounted for their balance sheets and reports.

EDIT: Heres a small piece of information:

"Veiled revenue Consolidated revenue is the sum of the revenues perceived by the company and the revenues from its subsidiaries all together. In FY 2009, Samsung Group had a revenue of 220 trillion KRW ($$172.5 billion), financial results are based on parent companies. In FY 2010, Samsung reported 280 trillion KRW($258 billion) worth of revenue, and 30 trillion KRW($27.6 billion) profit.(* Based upon a KRW=USD exchange rate of 1,084.5KRW per USD, the spot rate as of 19 August 2011) However, they also do not contain the revenues of overseas subsidiaries, and no one knows about real revenues."

Either way you look at it, Apple would be nowhere without Samsung in terms of technology due to Samsung's history of innovating key components used in everyday electronics. However, the same could be said that Samsung smartphones may also not be how they are today without seeing success from the iPhone...

Last edited:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Samsung's always "seeking", but where are the injunctions??

By the way, October 13th is almost here, re the Dutch injunction.

The Dutch injunction is absolutely meaningless. It was caused by a photo gallery app change that can be fixed prior to being sold. In other words, Apple spent **** loads of time and money, losing their community designs because of minimalism, to get a temp ban because of transitions between photos.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think Samsung should do it Nokia/Apple style; mutually drop all suits and just move on.

I wonder how much Apple pays for all the legal fees with this Samsung thing compared to how much it would cost to just buy Samsung & all its patents.

Forget market cap, Samsung has a like $300 billion in assets plus market and contracts. They make battleships and such; what the heck would Apple do with battleships?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The Dutch injunction is absolutely meaningless. It was caused by a photo gallery app change that can be fixed prior to being sold. In other words, Apple spent **** loads of time and money, losing their community designs because of minimalism, to get a temp ban because of transitions between photos.

Sigh. Apple didn't lose their community designs in the Dutch court. They lost one patent for their slide to unlock implementation. The Dutch ruling was for a preliminary injunction. The full court case is a year or so away.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I think Samsung should do it Nokia/Apple style; mutually drop all suits and just move on.

Forget market cap, Samsung has a like $300 billion in assets plus market and contracts. They make battleships and such; what the heck would Apple do with battleships?

If they make ships like they do phones am surprised they are not all at the bottom of the ocean now, I went into Orange store today to sort out iPad contract and while I was waiting I held a Galaxy SII and it felt like a childrens toy, Samsung phones are made of cheap materials and feel tacky

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

Samsung blatantly ripped Apple off on their IP (shown above), which is why Apple filed suit against them.

Samsung blatantly made a rectangular phone with a flat black screen on the front, yes. What, did you expect them to make a triangular phone with a bumpy bright pink screen?

Apple is not infringing on any of Samsung's IP even slightly.

How was Samsung 'infringing' on Apple's IP? They designed a phone with corners? Yet when Samsung sues Apple for a genuine patent relating to an actual technology, you tell me that Apple isn't infringing on any of Samsung's IP. Hilarious.

Actually, all I see is one company (*cough*Apple*cough*) crying about someone stealing their 'idea' for corners.

My post from two pages back was directed squarely at people just like you.

If they make ships like they do phones am surprised they are not all at the bottom of the ocean now, I went into Orange store today to sort out iPad contract and while I was waiting I held a Galaxy SII and it felt like a childrens toy, Samsung phones are made of cheap materials and feel tacky

Look at your other posts in this thread:

cwt1965.jpg

When you're on an Apple forum, supporting Apple, yet you still get downranked, you know you're doing something wrong.

Last edited:

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Apple have a big war chest $ wise just sitting in the bank, they should use some of it to have the biggest marketing campaign in electronics history and send Samsung the way of the dinosaurs, declare war on Samsung and crush them to the point that they pull out of the mobile and tablet industry in humilliation, god I despise Samsung now

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Apple have a big war chest $ wise just sitting in the bank, they should use some of it to have the biggest marketing campaign in electronics history and send Samsung the way of the dinosaurs, declare war on Samsung and crush them to the point that they pull out of the mobile and tablet industry in humilliation, god I despise Samsung now

why what possible effect can this have on your life do you own apple or apple stock , your merely a customer nothing more
i can understand looking at facts and coming to a conclusion one way or another but to claim you despise a whole company just cos they are sueing and been sued is beyond me

rockrigo

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007

start by setting fire to all your Apple stuff, it has Samsung "blood" inside

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Samsung blatantly made a rectangular phone with a flat black screen on the front, yes. What, did you expect them to make a triangular phone with a bumpy bright pink screen?

How was Samsung 'infringing' on Apple's IP? They designed a phone with corners? Yet when Samsung sues Apple for a genuine patent relating to an actual technology, you tell me that Apple isn't infringing on any of Samsung's IP. Hilarious.

Actually, all I see is one company (*cough*Apple*cough*) crying about someone stealing their 'idea' for corners.

My post from two pages back was directed squarely at people just like you.

Look at your other posts in this thread:

When you're on an Apple forum, supporting Apple, yet you still get downranked, you know you're doing something wrong.
he's got a point.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
why what possible effect can this have on your life do you own apple or apple stock , your merely a customer nothing more
i can understand looking at facts and coming to a conclusion one way or another but to claim you despise a whole company just cos they are sueing and been sued is beyond me

Apple has been a huge part of my life for a good part of 20 years, I have queued up all night for products outside of stores countless times, I have used Apple products hours a day every day, they are almost an extended family to me even if Steve and Tim wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire in the street so when someone is disrespectful to Apple like Samsung are being I feel almost like someone is disrespecting my brother or sister so yes I severely want to see Samsung humilliated and forced to pull out of the phone and tablet market altogether

----------

start by setting fire to all your Apple stuff, it has Samsung "blood" inside

The odd component I can live with but I want to see Galaxy and Galaxy tab beaten into extinction to teach Samsung who is boss

jdmachogg

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Samsung not being able to sell it's galaxy tab in Germany hasn't done much, as it still gets to comsumers. You can walk into any vodafone shop in Germany and walk out with a Galaxy Tab 10.1. They must have a huge stockpile already here, or just no one cares

slattery69

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
Apple has been a huge part of my life for a good part of 20 years, I have queued up all night for products outside of stores countless times, I have used Apple products hours a day every day, they are almost an extended family to me even if Steve and Tim wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire in the street so when someone is disrespectful to Apple like Samsung are being I feel almost like someone is disrespecting my brother or sister so yes I severely want to see Samsung humilliated and forced to pull out of the phone and tablet market altogether

im hoping that your another one of the shared dummy accounts on this forum were a few members share an account and post ridiculous over the top stuff about apple.
if your not can i suggest you seek professional help ;)

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010

im hoping that your another one of the shared dummy accounts on this forum were a few members share an account and post ridiculous over the top stuff about apple.
if your not can i suggest you seek professional help ;)

I am sure Arnie would be able to confirm to himself the lack of IP addresses on this account ;)

I am just an enthusiastic Apple "fanboy", nothing more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.