Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung this week announced its 2024 Unpacked event, which is set to be held on January 17 in San Jose, California. Samsung is expected to introduce its S24 line of Galaxy smartphones, which will directly compete with Apple's iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro lineup.

Samsung's event announcement teases a "new era of mobile AI," so it's safe to say that Samsung's new smartphones will have enhanced AI capabilities on par with ChatGPT and other AI products. In fact, Samsung says that the new Galaxy S series will feature the "most intelligent mobile experience yet."

Galaxy S24 rumors have suggested that the high-end Ultra model will include a 200-megapixel AI-enhanced camera that is able to identify 12 kinds of objects and optimize them for improved image quality. The AI could also be used to translate messages to more than a dozen languages in real time.

The S24 Ultra is also expected to feature a flatter screen design with a more square shape, and it appears that Samsung is going to transition to a titanium frame, mimicking an Apple design decision for the iPhone 15 Pro. Samsung is expected to offer the S24 Ultra in black, gray, violet, and yellow titanium shades.

Other Ultra rumors include a 50-megapixel 5x telephoto lens, which is a downgrade from the prior 10x telephoto lens, and Wi-Fi 7 support. The S24 and S24 Plus are expected to be largely similar to the S23 models, though there will be new color options and lager 6.7 and 6.2-inch displays.

Samsung's event will take place on January 17 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, and customers who plan to pre-order can reserve a device and receive a $50 Samsung credit. The reservation system does not charge automatically, requiring only a name and an email address to reserve devices. Credits will be able to be redeemed when pre-ordering after the devices debut.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Samsung to Unveil New Galaxy S24 Smartphones With Enhanced AI on January 17

Hogswarts

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2022
"it's safe to say that Samsung's new smartphones will have enhanced AI capabilities on par with ChatGPT"
No, it's not. Let me fix that for you:
"it's stupid to say that Samsung's new smartphones will have enhanced AI capabilities on par with ChatGPT"

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It would be hilarious if those reports of a January 26 release date for vision pro are true.

Apple could put out an event/updated announcement video on January 16, where all the final specifications, pricing and accessories for the vision pro are announced, and totally blast Samsung’s event completely out of the news cycle.

Reactions: mech986

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
I use one currently for work. I am forced to use a S22 Ultra for work. and absolutely loathe the OS and how messy it is.
Ahhhh, I see. I was just curious because I used to absolutely despise Android, but I made the switch three years ago and haven't looked back. Prior to that time, I would try a few Android phones each year, but the OS always drove me insane. I find it more stable than iOS anymore, and I like the fact that it is way more customizable. To each their own though. Use what you like, that is what matters.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Make sure we keep supporting Korean companies...I mean, that's what we're about right? Sending money to Samsung to rip off American companies.
In what way? A lot of the stuff Apple does is ripped off from Samsung and a lot of the stuff Samsung does is copied from Apple. I don't follow Samsung because I don't use their mobile devices, but it's all to the benefit of the customer. In my experience Samsung's phones have been just as (un)reliable as Apple's.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Ahhhh, I see. I was just curious because I used to absolutely despise Android, but I made the switch three years ago and haven't looked back. Prior to that time, I would try a few Android phones each year, but the OS always drove me insane. I find it more stable than iOS anymore, and I like the fact that it is way more customizable. To each their own though. Use what you like, that is what matters.
Agreed... and admittedly its mostly about personal preference with me... I just like simplicity, and tidyness so iOS is kind of perfect for me. Back in the day I was in to the whole jailbreaking scene and customization... but these days I find myself wanting a more simple straightforward experience.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Make sure we keep supporting Korean companies...I mean, that's what we're about right? Sending money to Samsung to rip off American companies.
The OLED displays on your iPhone and the upcoming iPad were made by Samsung, a Korean company.

Samsung is also the first to market innovative ideas. Their tablets have been on OLED for years now and they have already transitioned their laptops to OLED and now even their monitors are OLED.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Do you own any Apple devices? You do realize Apple uses Samsung components in their products, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.