Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suicidy

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
I hope the Samsung phone is really good. That pushes Apple to try harder.

Competition is a beautiful thing.

Reactions: Jon N.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the latest from Samsung, especially the S24 Ultra and its zoom capabilities.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Looking forward to seeing the latest from Samsung, especially the S24 Ultra and its zoom capabilities.
All Android jokes aside, the S series is pretty cool.
That said, if I had to get an android too, I'd probably go with a recent pixel.
I really like what google did with the phone starting with the 6 generation.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
10x sounds great on paper but from a practicality standpoint they're not that great.

1. The longer the focal length/zoom of the lens the more it magnifies even the slightest camera shake. This is why so many photographers with zoom lenses use tripods even in good lighting. To compensate you need a combination of image stabilization and software compensation, but image quality will suffer.
  2. Wide apertures get harder to implement the longer the focal length. On the S23 the 3x zoom camera had a respectable f/2.4 aperture (the iPhone 15 Pro's 3x zoom is a slightly narrower f/2.8 aperture by comparison). The 10x zoom on the S23 has an f/4.9 aperture. In camera terms that's fairly narrow, meaning you need a longer exposure to capture the same image in the same lighting as a wider aperture.
Factor those two points together (long focal lengths magnify camera shake and long focal lengths with narrower apertures require longer exposure times) and you have a recipe for blurry pictures. Which was exactly a major complaint of the S23's 10x camera.
You obviously don't have any real experience with S23U's 10X camera.
Your theories are nice an all but they dont correlate with the actual experience of using it, the 10X on the S23U is definitely not useless like you are trying to suggest.
Now it's not an action 10X camera, that would be absurd but you are able to get superb shots with the 10X even stop motion when light isn't super ideal and images are generally not "blurry".
One thing you don't know about the 10X is that is has excellent image stabilization which alleviates that magnification of any slight camera shake(its evident because it works very well even in 3rd party camera apps like Gcam) and if you go beyond the optical length you get an auto stabilization feature that works very well.
Here are a few samples:

Attachments

• 20230421_152921.jpg
    20230421_152921.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230421_153123.jpg
    20230421_153123.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230421_150620.jpg
    20230421_150620.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230619_201820.jpg
    20230619_201820.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230422_161335.jpg
    20230422_161335.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230618_213737.jpg
    20230618_213737.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230823_201212_javasabr_lmc17_s23u_v12_sharp.jpg
    20230823_201212_javasabr_lmc17_s23u_v12_sharp.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230903_173615.jpg
    20230903_173615.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Wizard_of_Woz

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
It's an amazing phone, I'm tempted to trade in my ZF5 but I really like Samsung's UI and their extra software so will wait and see if they redeem themselves with the ZF6. Still, the OnePlus Open is a beast.
I traded my ZF5 in for it. Samsung offers the most polished foldable experience, as they should for being in the game the longest. But, the form factor is a deal breaker for me. I tried it for two months and couldn't get past it. My prediction is the ZF6 will have a form factor similar to the OnePlus Open. We shall see in a few months.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Samsung Displays are insane. I have an S95C QD OLED TV, OLED G9 Monitor, Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra and they all make my jaw drop when I turn to use them.

We can debate all day long about how Apple makes polished software with a great ecosystem but you cannot deny the Samsung hardware powering it all

I still maintain the S23 Ultra was the most balanced phone of the year 2023 and this is coming from someone daily driving an S23 Ultra and a 14 Pro Max.

Reactions: rjohnstone

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I traded my ZF5 in for it. Samsung offers the most polished foldable experience, as they should for being in the game the longest. But, the form factor is a deal breaker for me. I tried it for two months and couldn't get past it. My prediction is the ZF6 will have a form factor similar to the OnePlus Open. We shall see in a few months.
OnePlus Open and Samsung follow different design philosophies. With the Z Fold 5, Samsung wants you to use the inner display as much as possible and the cover screen is only intended for basic notifications and messaging.

With the Open, the Cover screen is the focus while the inner display is not designed to be used as much. The aspect ratio of the inner display entails lesser content being displayed compared to Samsung.

Having said that, I also see Sammy following OnePlus in a few months.

I really adore the foldables. I plan on selling my S23 Ultra for the Z Fold 6 once it comes out

Jon N.

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2023
All Android jokes aside, the S series is pretty cool.
That said, if I had to get an android too, I'd probably go with a recent pixel.
I really like what google did with the phone starting with the 6 generation.
I have both a Pixel 6 and a Samsung S22. The Pixel is definitely more streamlined (in both physical design and operating system) but the Samsung gives me more bells & whistles. But it appears that Samsung is raising the bar with its S24 Ultra camera, so it will be interesting to see what Google & Apple do in response.

Jon N.

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2023
Ahhhh, I see. I was just curious because I used to absolutely despise Android, but I made the switch three years ago and haven't looked back. Prior to that time, I would try a few Android phones each year, but the OS always drove me insane. I find it more stable than iOS anymore, and I like the fact that it is way more customizable. To each their own though. Use what you like, that is what matters.
Same here. I have been an Android user for 10+ years but decided to try iPhone because all of my family (but only about half of my friends) are on iPhone.

I absolutely hated it. I felt like iOS was holding me back from doing what I wanted to do. The keyboard stinks. There is no way to customize the home screens the way I want. And setting up my custom ringtone was a complete nightmare (or, at least I assume so, because once I saw how complicated it was I just gave up). The entire experience left me feeling like Apple was telling me what I will and will not do with the phone, instead of allowing me to use the phone in the way I want to use it.

I currently have a Samsung S22 Ultra and love it, but I have also used a Pixel and I think that experience is more streamlined and probably appeals more to iPhone users because it is not quite as customizable as Samsung's OneUI.

Reactions: Wizard_of_Woz

Jon N.

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2023
Agreed... and admittedly its mostly about personal preference with me... I just like simplicity, and tidyness so iOS is kind of perfect for me. Back in the day I was in to the whole jailbreaking scene and customization... but these days I find myself wanting a more simple straightforward experience.
That's interesting. I am a 10+ year Android user who tried to switch to iPhone in 2023. And I agree that it's about personal preference.

When I tried to switch to iOS, I absolutely hated it. I suppose that, after so many years being able to customize my phone experience in a way that suits me, I felt constrained by iOS. I never did get my custom ringtone set up because the procedure was so complicated that I just gave up. I hated the keyboard (and, in true Apple fashion, they wouldn't allow me to permanently swap out the default Apple keyboard). It's impossible to customize the home screens in a way that makes sense to me, and the choice of widgets was terrible. I also got used to having an S-Pen that operates as a remote for my camera (and also allows me to draw directly on images (or on a blank canvas) and then share the drawing/comments with others).

Reactions: bigjnyc

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Huh? They actually make great washing and drying machines. Top of the line stuff. I’ve owned a whole bunch of’em. None have broken down. Fact is, they make great hardware overall in a bunch of fields. Not an easy task, that.

I still prefer iPhones though (but I have owned a ton of Samsung phones, Z Flip 5 was the last one I had).
My sister's washer died, it was the controller. later the heating element for the dryer broke.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I hope the Samsung phone is really good. That pushes Apple to try harder.

Competition is a beautiful thing.

Samsung stopped being a meaningful competitor to Apple a long time ago. You don’t really see the media reporting on supposed “iPhone killers” these days. It’s all about antitrust legislation and cracking open the Apple ecosystem of late.

Reactions: I7guy

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Galaxy S24 rumors have suggested that the high-end Ultra model will include a 200-megapixel AI-enhanced camera that is able to identify 12 kinds of objects and optimize them for improved image quality.

This sounds similar to what it was caught doing earlier this year with their “space zoom” feature, by overlaying a pic you take of the moon with a stock image of one.

Wonder what those twelve objects will be. 😁

Reactions: CarAnalogy

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I know it's easier to copy rather than to take your own risks, but have they absolutely no shame at all?

Oh you mean:
1. Larger than 6" LCD's or AMOLED?
^ yeah Apple copied and contracted Samsung to do their work.
2. Higher than 4GB RAM
^ yeah another Apple photocopier at work.
3. Qi Charging?
^ yup once again Apple late for simple cost effective R&D and components to implement. I think this is one area Apple over complicated but did a nice upgrade - MagSafe to Qi but I'm not not convinced their implementation is the best possible. I've already been burned using it daily for a few months on 12 mini and slighly on the 13 mini I had before it was stolen.

OS enhancements:
- Window Shade, notification panel.
- Widgets.
- Bluetooth, WiFi and Airplane mode toggle switches in a quick sheet within the notification page.
- Multi-tasking - to run 2 applications at the same time and NOT restricted to the OS makers apps only.
^ up until iOS 4 Any app other than Apple's paused in RAM until used in the foreground again I believe this changed to running UP to 10mins before being paused in RAM.
- PiP : Picture in Picture or pop-out video (I'm completely meaning video).
shall I continue on or is this suffice?!

Competition is a good thing.
Surprised that they are going from a 10x telephoto to 5x, is there some issue with the 10x that we don’t know about?
The Sensor is LARGER in the smaller telephoto of 5x than it was int he 10x telephoto ... so expect cleaner images at full zoom (it will have 10x zoom using software), similar to Apple's iPhone 14/15 Pro dividing total pixel count by 2/4 and the AI to take elements of eat sensor pic and to create the BEST single picture you'll actually see.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Same here. I have been an Android user for 10+ years but decided to try iPhone because all of my family (but only about half of my friends) are on iPhone.

I absolutely hated it. I felt like iOS was holding me back from doing what I wanted to do. The keyboard stinks. There is no way to customize the home screens the way I want. And setting up my custom ringtone was a complete nightmare (or, at least I assume so, because once I saw how complicated it was I just gave up). The entire experience left me feeling like Apple was telling me what I will and will not do with the phone, instead of allowing me to use the phone in the way I want to use it.

I currently have a Samsung S22 Ultra and love it, but I have also used a Pixel and I think that experience is more streamlined and probably appeals more to iPhone users because it is not quite as customizable as Samsung's OneUI.
One aspect of Android which ensures it will remain my daily driver is the universal back gesture from the right side of the phone.

We have such huge phones nowadays it's a godsend that I can one-handed swipe from the right side to go back without stretching my thumb.

It baffles me that to this day on iPhone you need to stretch your thumb all the way to the left side to go back when the phone is this wide.

Then there's the little things like Android allowing you to place the cursor exactly where you want it instead of just ahead or behind the word you want to edit like on iOS. Number key on top of keyboard. One Handed mode which can be tweaked to be on the left side if you want to use the phone with your left hand.

There are just so much nifty features in Android, it's hard to give them up

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
This sounds similar to what it was caught doing earlier this year with their “space zoom” feature, by overlaying a pic you take of the moon with a stock image of one.

Wonder what those twelve objects will be. 😁
They don't overly anything over the Moon they just further enhances the details already captured by the camera. I know it very well as I have an S23U and I have tested it extensively, the camera hardware is perfectly capable of taking a nice detailed picture of the Moon with no AI help.

Anyway the 8 Gen 3 is an AI monster it will enable a lot of AI based features that up to this point were not reasonable or possible on older SOCs, which is great. The S24U will most likely be able to take a single 200MP picture and create from that (using AI) different versions of it with up to 4X optical quality crop. I don't see how that's not great. The 200MP will also be much much faster and its possible people could use it as the default shooting mode. 200MP pictures on my S23U are often spectacular and while taking the picture isn't that slow saving it kinda is.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It’s Samsung DNA. It Used to be RIM and Nokia before Apple. I have the BlackBerry clone, Samsung Blackjack some where in my desk. Well made phone with solid hardware.
Such garbage!

Samsung's DNA is competition!
That Samsung Blackjack had 2+1 versions running on different iterations of of Microsoft Windows Mobile Edition. In the era of BlackBerry - Motorola tested the waters with the Motorola Q & the Q9h and thus everyone attempted to compete: Let me SCHOOL you son!

Motorola Q8
Released: 2005, July

Motorola Q 9h
Released 2007, February

Nokia released SEVERAL devices! Take note that Mini-Map Nokia browser that Steve Jobs made fun of during the launch of the OG iPhone .... guess what that was a FULL HTML/KHTML browser that THEY THEMSELVES used to work with Nokia to make for the Nokia N80, then was used on the Nokia E61/E62 S60 phones - I KNEW this back then and have posted about it back in 2007 ... the REASON it looked like the 'baby internet' was NOT due to the lack of features (Flash Lite was supported) it was due to the smaller than 3.2" screen - phone's were VERY different then.

The new S60 browser, based on Safari's WebCore and JavascriptCore components, is also found on the N80. The 'minimap' feature allows you to see a full page at a glance and navigate around it, while other new features include 'visual history' and support for RSS feeds. The new browser will provide Opera and NetFront with significant competition. However, Opera, with its recent 8.5 release, comes close to providing similar functionality and continues to innovate at a pace unlikely to be matched by Nokia because of constraints imposed by being part of the platform offering.

In use, the browser is much faster than Nokia's previous efforts and comes much closer to Opera and Netfront performance levels. The new browser will start to change the way people think about browsing the web on a mobile device. Previously, sites aimed at PCs were only accessible using SSR (small screen rendering) technologies and this had usability problems since it was always limited by the intelligence of the re-rendering algorithms. Higher resolution screens, together with minimap, mean that it is possible to quite comfortably view any web site on the phone. Shown in the photo is the full All About Symbian front page displayed on the phone, which should give you an idea of the possibilities.

The RSS capabilities are still being developed – at the moment there is no self-discovery, feeds must be updated manually. In essence the functionality was little more than an RSS file renderer. However, Nokia did say that there was more work to do in this area before release.

S60 Browser (mini-map)
Last week OSNews had the pleasure of meeting with three of the people behind the new Nokia S60 browser sharing with us information about the project. Dig in for more info and lots of screenshots.We met with Roland Geisler, head of marketing and strategy for the S60 browser, and engineers David Carson & Guido Grassel. The S60 browser (which doesn’t have a codename or a formal name) is based on Apple’s WebCore technology which itself is based on KDE’s KHTML engine. They told us that the Nokia team chose WebCore over Mozilla’s Gecko for the exact same reason Apple chose KHTML over Gecko: much smaller in codesize, smaller cpu/memory needs and as Mr Carson pointed out “it was much easier to read the source code and understand it”. The S60 browser supports javascript, plugins, frames and iframes, CSS and of course XHTML.

OSNews’ unique autodetection engine for mobile browsers (supporting more than 100 non-desktop browsers or devices) was able to autodetect the beta S60 browser that we were shown in the N80 and E61 phones, even if the user agent used was a generic one (it’s going to change when the devices are ready to ship). The current user agent used in these beta devices is: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/109 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/109

Nokia Browser for Symbian (formerly known as Web Browser for S60) was the default web browser for the S60 and Symbian mobile phone platform.[1] The browser is based on a port of Apple Inc.'s open-source WebCore and JavaScriptCore frameworks which form the WebKit rendering engine that Apple uses in its Safari Web browser.[2][3]

Nokia E61
Released 2005, October -WHY is this phone being compared to a phone being launched in Jan 2007 announced Sept 2006?!
Nokia E61i
Released 2007, February
BOTH was MUCH better than BlackBerry at full spectrum of application options/capabilities, WiFi Calling, Bluetooth pairing along with IntelliSync support (wrote a blog long about about BB and such devices).
Nokia E71
Released 2008, July
^ This thing was globally a quality product and outsold BlackBerry devices until the Bold 9000 debut. This had a CLEAN UI something even Apple would've been proud of back then. Nokia kept on with the E72 & E73.

Now onto Samsung's attemtps:
1. Samsung i607 BlackJack
Shipped w Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone widely reviewed and well sold and loved more in Europe + Asia than that Motorola Q8

2. Samsung i617 BlackJack II
Released 2007, Octoober
Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0
Turning the side scroll-wheel (which Motorola kept on the Q9h) to the job wheel was genius as your thumb did NOT move away for the directional buttons IF you needed it.

Samsung did NOT copy as BlackBerry only had scroll ball, and a track pad (Bold 9000). WHERE do you think they got that idea or technology? Samsung had it in the

Samsung i8510 INNOV8
Released 2008, Sept.

BlackBerry Bold 9700
Released 2011, August

Samsung develops ... innovates (truthfully) and they make products for the END USER's perspective NOT from their own!: AMOLED, MicroLED, FAST RAM controllers for mobile UFS3.2/UFS 4.0+, Storage etc.

So tell us again Samsung's DNA is the copy. I've just shown you multiple devices in the same era where Samsung did NOT copy. A scroll-wheel was the best innovation at the time for cost in production - using it is not copying.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Make sure we keep supporting Korean companies...I mean, that's what we're about right? Sending money to Samsung to rip off American companies.
As opposed to keeping Chinese companies ever more competitive by buying Apple?

some people have some really skewed views on the world lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.