Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
The OLED displays on your iPhone and the upcoming iPad were made by Samsung, a Korean company.

Samsung is also the first to market innovative ideas. Their tablets have been on OLED for years now and they have already transitioned their laptops to OLED and now even their monitors are OLED.
Apple sells millions more iPads a year than Samsung sells pads. It comes down in many cases to supply-chain. THey likely can't secure at earlier times the amount of OLED panels to not have shortages. They have many reasons to make the choices they do.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
If a company in 2024 is throwing around terms like “Phone AI” or something similar, it’s probably just a scam using the fancy AI label for marketing tricks.

Be cautious and avoid falling into this trap, especially if the processing occurs in the cloud, not on the device.
AT&T will be soon be coming out with a 7Gai network since 5e didn't work out.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
10x sounds great on paper but from a practicality standpoint they're not that great.

1. The longer the focal length/zoom of the lens the more it magnifies even the slightest camera shake. This is why so many photographers with zoom lenses use tripods even in good lighting. To compensate you need a combination of image stabilization and software compensation, but image quality will suffer.
  2. Wide apertures get harder to implement the longer the focal length. On the S23 the 3x zoom camera had a respectable f/2.4 aperture (the iPhone 15 Pro's 3x zoom is a slightly narrower f/2.8 aperture by comparison). The 10x zoom on the S23 has an f/4.9 aperture. In camera terms that's fairly narrow, meaning you need a longer exposure to capture the same image in the same lighting as a wider aperture.
Factor those two points together (long focal lengths magnify camera shake and long focal lengths with narrower apertures require longer exposure times) and you have a recipe for blurry pictures. Which was exactly a major complaint of the S23's 10x camera.
Thanks, wasn't aware of the complaints about that 10x ...
and yes, holding my 3.5lbs or so gear (100-400L) when taking photographs I'm well aware of the challenges, just had expected Samsung to address that. But then again we're talking Samsung who also sold a smartwatch in 2022 with blood pressure capabilities and removed those in the 2023 model ...

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
2024 is the year of AI marketing (e.g. https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-even-without-openais-altman-hand-2024-01-04/). I wouldn’t be surprised if it already begins to die down in 2025. People will catch on that it isn’t the bee's knees.

Actually the investors are starting to bail on it. It's the year of desperation. This will be followed by the year of misery. Then we shall have the year of cheap GPUs and PC keyboards with a CoPilot button on that no one remember what it was used for.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
AI features? I wonder if this is going to be something revolutionary or if they're just going to improve their voice assistant and call it BixbyGPT. 🤪

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've tried the three foldables that are available on major US carries (Pixel Fold, Z Fold 5, OnePlus Open) and I will tell you that the OnePlus Open is the best by far, and it weighs less than an iPhone 14 Pro Max which is insane. Check it out if you haven't already.

It's an amazing phone, I'm tempted to trade in my ZF5 but I really like Samsung's UI and their extra software so will wait and see if they redeem themselves with the ZF6. Still, the OnePlus Open is a beast.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Apple sells millions more iPads a year than Samsung sells pads. It comes down in many cases to supply-chain. THey likely can't secure at earlier times the amount of OLED panels to not have shortages. They have many reasons to make the choices they do.
I don't think that is the reason as if that were the case, Apple would love nothing more than to charge $2000 for an OLED iPad calling it the iPad Ultra or something. They have done this with the vision Pro and Apple Watch Ultra

Apple's iPad innovation has stagnated for a long time now answer they have been coasting on the App Store to beat Android. My Tab S8 Ultra display wipes the floor with the iPad display and it has several software features which iPad should have had on Day 1

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Yeah, they also make iPhone displays.

Yes they do

They also make:

• Refrigerators
  • Monitors
  • Solid State Drives
  • TVs
  • Washing Machines
  • Howitzer tanks
  • Headphones
  • Semiconductors
  • They have an insurance company
  • Helicopters
  • Container ships
  • They have a construction company
I can go on. South Korean corporations try to be jacks of all trades doing multiple different industries at once, with Samsung being the biggest.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
2024 is the year of AI marketing (e.g. https://www.reuters.com/technology/...-even-without-openais-altman-hand-2024-01-04/). I wouldn’t be surprised if it already begins to die down in 2025. People will catch on that it isn’t the bee's knees.
I see it differently. I think many aspects are going to become table stakes. Sure, there will be dead-end gimmicks. However, stuff like context recognition in photos, transcript summarization of video/audio, generative reactions in messaging, emailing/notes/journaling editorial feedback, and situation-aware task management are kinda amazing (and creepy, and possibly dangerous). In a professional sense, I'm getting a number of out-of-left-field projects for AI that I thought were just hype trains but are turning into real business processes. I think phones/devices are going to have some real change from this all, some dumb, some really transformative.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Always great hardware and features... I just hate the OS so much.
Terrible face unlock and under screen fingerprint sensor not very consistent and especially with a glass screen protector on. S23 (not Ultra) For me at least. Not a fan of Sammy biometrics. Hope it gets better.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021

Samsung this week announced its 2024 Unpacked event, which is set to be held on January 17 in San Jose, California. Samsung is expected to introduce its S24 line of Galaxy smartphones, which will directly compete with Apple's iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro lineup.

Samsung's event announcement teases a "new era of mobile AI," so it's safe to say that Samsung's new smartphones will have enhanced AI capabilities on par with ChatGPT and other AI products. In fact, Samsung says that the new Galaxy S series will feature the "most intelligent mobile experience yet."

Galaxy S24 rumors have suggested that the high-end Ultra model will include a 200-megapixel AI-enhanced camera that is able to identify 12 kinds of objects and optimize them for improved image quality. The AI could also be used to translate messages to more than a dozen languages in real time.

The S24 Ultra is also expected to feature a flatter screen design with a more square shape, and it appears that Samsung is going to transition to a titanium frame, mimicking an Apple design decision for the iPhone 15 Pro. Samsung is expected to offer the S24 Ultra in black, gray, violet, and yellow titanium shades.

Other Ultra rumors include a 50-megapixel 5x telephoto lens, which is a downgrade from the prior 10x telephoto lens, and Wi-Fi 7 support. The S24 and S24 Plus are expected to be largely similar to the S23 models, though there will be new color options and lager 6.7 and 6.2-inch displays.

Samsung's event will take place on January 17 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, and customers who plan to pre-order can reserve a device and receive a $50 Samsung credit. The reservation system does not charge automatically, requiring only a name and an email address to reserve devices. Credits will be able to be redeemed when pre-ordering after the devices debut.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Samsung. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Samsung to Unveil New Galaxy S24 Smartphones With Enhanced AI on January 17
These companies should stop copying each other and do their own thing.

Changing to a titanium design like the iPhone was? C'mon Samsung.

If they really wanted to blow the smartphone world away, they would announce their own operating system that finally gets rid of their current Android re-skin.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Does Enhanced AI on a Samsung mean dis-enhanced battery❓❓❓

MikeTech

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
Not really. Some keep breaking, same with their dryers and refrigerators.
Their displays are great, just that their SmartTV's GUI is terrible.
Huh? They actually make great washing and drying machines. Top of the line stuff. I’ve owned a whole bunch of’em. None have broken down. Fact is, they make great hardware overall in a bunch of fields. Not an easy task, that.

I still prefer iPhones though (but I have owned a ton of Samsung phones, Z Flip 5 was the last one I had).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Usually yes... But competition doesn't seem to affect Apple... It doesn't cause them to drop prices and it doesn't cause them to innovate any quicker... They march to the beat of their own drum regardless of what the competition is doing.
Generally yeah but there are exceptions. I think Apple started making phablets because of competition.

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Samsung started using OLED panels for their tablets some 10 years ago and Apple is still sorting out supply chain issues? Samsung uses OLED screens on their watches, phones, tablets, monitors and TVs. So far, Apple only managed to put OLED to iPhones and watches (and they get the panels from Samsung)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.