Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Samsung should really stick to making TVs...in my opinion they're the best on the market. Phones + Tablets may be out of their league.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Apple buddy Intel

this one of the reason, apple is looking at Intel for manufacturing ARM Chips ...

well until Intel starts copying Apple and releasing prototypes phones :D

who is copying copy who?

joeviddy

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Apple could potentially really lose out here because even though just the lawyers will see the future products, they would still relay the info to Samsung's people and they could gain a competitive advantage by being to market with the same features as Apple at the same time. Hopefully the court sees it this way too.

Actually, if that happened there would be severe penalties imposed on counsel. I don't think they would do that. These people are smart and respectable.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
i really hope this stops now and both companies go back to produce good products ...

Apple never going to be in the low end of the market whether it is PC, Phone or iPad(s)...

you need other plays like Samsung, HTC and others to manufacture for the lower end of the market ...

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
its like they are admitting they are copying apple

"ok, so we copied iphone4 and ipad2, but can we see iphone5 and ipad3 just in case we do it again?"

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Oh, dear.

"Sometimes corporations remind me of little kids arguing on the playground. Except more than lunch money is involved."--Doctor Q

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
i really hope this stops now and both companies go back to produce good products ...

Apple never going to be in the low end of the market whether it is PC, Phone or iPad(s)...

you need other plays like Samsung, HTC and others to manufacture for the lower end of the market ...

HTC and Samsung also offer very high end phones which are superior to the ageing iphone, such as the Sensation and Galaxy 2.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
They want to see the prototype so that they can prepare to defend against possible law suits from Apple ???? I mean, if they wanted to sue Apple that would make sense ...

Ok, I'm torn between thinking that is childish or genius ... on one hand it looks like that have no arguments what so ever and just want to scream back, but on the other hand they might want to show that apple sues for no reason, so they want to prepare ...

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Well, there is a big cultural difference as well here. It's probably not as simple as some folks are interpreting this.

Having worked for a Korean company for quite a number of years, there are big differences in approaches for business and legal matters. Korea has a rich culture and if you look back in history they've had well organized bureaucracies for hundreds of years. Their legal precedents are different than ours.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Samsung should really stick to making TVs...in my opinion they're the best on the market. Phones + Tablets may be out of their league.

Yeah, their phones are total failure even though according to Unwired View "Launched in the UK earlier this month, the new Samsung Galaxy S II has quickly become the country’s most popular smartphone. Just like we told you it happened in South Korea, the Galaxy S II is outselling Apple’s iPhone 4 in the UK, too."

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weak.

Really, Samsung?

You were already ordered to produce your knockoffs to Apple. THIS is your response??

Youre joking right? This is total tit for tat...after Apple's allowance to review unreleased Samsung HW. Oh, but it was Apple the first time...so you didnt care.

I dont think either party has a legitimate claim to each other's unreleased products. If the next Galaxy Phone infringes on Apple copyrights(or vice versa), seek damages accordingly.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Youre joking right? This is total tit for tat...after Apple's allowance to review unreleased Samsung HW. Oh, but it was Apple the first time...so you didnt care.

I dont think either party has a legitimate claim to each other's unreleased products. If the next Galaxy Phone infringes on Apple copyrights(or vice versa), seek damages accordingly.

Please read the article again.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Dear Samsung simpletons,

Apple isn't advertising iPhone 5 or iPad 3, nor copying your product designs wholesale.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That's pretty low. And does Samsung think that Apple is going to copy Samsung's design that was criticized for copying Apple in the first place?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010

There is one big difference:

case1: Apple wants to see Samsung hardware to proof that they copy stuff (best on iPhone4/iPad2)

case2: Samsung wants to see Apple hardware to prepare to defend a potential law suit by Apple that Samsung is copying Apple (based on iPhone5/iPad3)

case1 is very typical if a company wants to proof copy cats - case2 is very unusual and either funny or genius (to make the point that case1 is pointless)

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
LOL

Samsung wants to avoid having to "rethink" their next products.

It is a shame Apple has to do this. The galaxy tablet is failed product. Why would anyone expect version 2 to be a success? I guess if they can see the next model ipad and get a head start then version 3 might have a chance.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Although childish, I'm not surprised. I'd want to have a look into Apple's products before they are released ;) In all seriousness, I suppose Samsung are just a bit annoyed seen as their product really isn't a "rip of the iPhone", just a better spec product. Maybe Apple are just annoyed that Google sided with Samsung for the Nexus.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
One question, if only 'external lawyers' are allowed to the the prototypes of 'the other' company - how the hell do those lawyers decide what was copied or not - I would assume those have not the technical background and company internal information to make an educated decision, I mean, a more technical person with internal knowledge from each company would be required for that - but that person would no longer be allowed to work on the new version ....

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Haha. Good for Samsung. Very smart response. Obviously I still side with apple here, but i think they could use a taste of their own arrogance once in awhile.

No, it's a pretty stupid response. Samsung has already publicly discussed and demoed their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.