Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The County of Santa Clara's Public Health Department today issued a mandatory order that requires all mass gatherings of 1,000 or more people in Santa Clara County to be canceled.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

Santa Clara County includes cities like Cupertino, Palo Alto, Mountain View, and San Jose, and it is the county where Apple's two main campuses are located along with many of its satellite offices.

Last week, county officials issued guidelines suggesting that companies in the area minimize or cancel large in-person meetings and conferences, but the new ban is a requirement that will prevent any major gatherings.

The ban takes effect at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time on March 11 and for now, will last for three weeks. Santa Clara County is putting the ban in place as it waits for more widespread testing and for more details on how COVID-19 spreads.
"This is a critical moment in the growing outbreak of COVID-19 in Santa Clara County. The strong measures we are taking today are designed to slow the spread of disease," said Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County Health Officer. "Today's order and new recommendations will reduce the number of people who develop severe illness and will help prevent our healthcare system from becoming overwhelmed. This is critically important for anyone with healthcare needs, not just those most vulnerable to serious illness from COVID-19."
The three-week ban will only last until the beginning of April, but ahead of when the mandatory ban was in place, tech companies had already started canceling events. Both Facebook and Google have canceled planned developer events set to take place in May that would have had around 5,000 attendees.

Apple still has not made any announcements about WWDC, which is typically held in June at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California, and the length of this ban will not affect June plans, but with the growing number of coronavirus cases in the county, Apple may cancel the event as a precaution.

Apple could still provide WWDC content in a digital format with online presentations for media and developers, but it's not entirely clear what the company's plan is at this time. We should be hearing soon, as Apple normally announces WWDC info right around this time in March.

The county's decision to blanket ban all events of 1,000 or more people comes as Santa Clara County experienced its first death due to the coronavirus. Santa Clara County has a total of 43 known COVID-19 cases, with more in other counties in the Bay Area.

Article Link: Santa Clara County Bans All Gatherings of 1000+ People After Coronavirus Death

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Man... This virus is disrupting everything.

I’m almost 29 years old and haven’t experienced anything like this before. Living in New York I do remember Hurricane Sandy and 9/11 vividly, more than Anthrax, SARS etc.

This is wayyy different.

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
This is going to get much, much worse before it starts to get better.

This PANIC is going to get much, much worse before it starts to get better.
[automerge]1583811628[/automerge]
WWDC will be a virtual thing this year for sure...

Groups of individuals will still have to come together to set the damn event up–can’t all be done remotely and can’t all be done without physical interaction with groups of people.

NewZealandGala

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
I understand that if there’s a March event, it will be live streamed, and the media will view it remotely, same as the public.

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
I really hope there's still a March event/announcement, even if it's for streaming only. I'm hoping for at least MBP 14 and/or iPhone SE2 announcement this month.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It’ll be interesting to see how this impacts the 2020 election with regards to rallies and stuff.

Also there’s a good chance the NBA playoffs could be played with no crowds.

Reactions: arkitect

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Were you alive during H1N1 in the last decade? Or the FLU in the last year?

I was going to make this comment. We had a pandemic in 2009 that people seem to forget, H1N1. Here in the US 12,000 people died, 265,000 were hospitalized, and 59 Million were infected. It was damn scary because it hit hard and was killing indiscriminately, including young people. Let’s hope this won’t be as bad as it was in 2009.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Groups of individuals will still have to come together to set the damn event up–can’t all be done remotely and can’t all be done without physical interaction with groups of people.

Have you seen Apple's non-WWDC developer videos? It could easily be done by somebody sitting at a desk with a microphone and e-mailing the Keynote slides and audio for editing.

There is not any significant loss without the applause and video of somebody walking on a stage.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
HIV is worse and you don’t see anyone crying about it.

Despite what people think, HIV is not a major cause of death in the US due to management by antiretroviral drugs. HIV kills less than 6,000 people per year, the same as Hepatitis. More people die from alcoholism (22,200), accidental strangulation (7,000), and C. difficile infection (6,100) as HIV/AIDS.

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
Have you seen Apple's non-WWDC developer videos? It could easily be done by somebody sitting at a desk with a microphone and e-mailing the Keynote slides and audio for editing.

There is not any significant loss without the applause and video of somebody walking on a stage.

Yeah, I’m so sure everyone from stockholders to investors to developers to marketers would be completely satisfied with an unboxing video. *rollseyes*

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
HIV is worse and you don’t see anyone crying about it.

A lot of things are worse. So what? This isn't a competition where only one bad thing can survive to the final round. I might trip and break my neck later going down the stairs. But that doesn't mean no other bad things can happen to me or that I should ignore this bad thing. HIV and the Coronavirus aren't logically connected. So don't connect them. One has nothing to do with the other and no meaningful conclusions can be inferred from comparing them. Stop acting like the existence of one precludes the other from being something serious.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Yeah, I’m so sure everyone from stockholders to investors to developers to marketers would be completely satisfied with an unboxing video. *rollseyes*

WWDC announcements are almost always software, specifically software which will be available in September. There isn't anything you can't show with screen captures.

Besides, it's not like the thousands of people at a keynote can see a single iPhone anyway, it's all video and screen projection.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
She isn’t posting anything but the very stuff that causes the panic. It’s sad when people die...I understand that. But the scale is nothing even close to the flu at this point. Imagine if we reported every case of the flu, pneumonia, or any other disease. We live in a world with constant updates from the media and crazy prognostications that extrapolate small data points into 1 in 3 Americans will be infected and you’ll know someone who dies from Covid19.

Social media totally distorts the scale of everything and people speak in these broad strokes that feed off each other until it’s a frenzy.

She’s right...coronavirus isn’t the flu...it’s not nearly as bad.

We should take precautions but we should take precautions for many viruses. I guess we have just given up on containing the flu?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

WWDC is a "Developers Conference". Why should they cater the event to those other groups? This isn't their event and they're not why the event takes place.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.