Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
ABSOLUTELY GUTTED - Doesn't quite cut it

Gently brushed the edge of my kitchen counter top this morning and have scratched the face at the 12 o'clock position on the glass.....so annoyed as regularly caught my series 2/3 and didn't really get damaged.

Just ordered some screen protectors in the hope that it covers it as much as possible.....

Any other ideas on how to remove them would be appreciated....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Gently brushed the edge of my kitchen counter top this morning and have scratched the face at the 12 o'clock position on the glass.....so annoyed as regularly caught my series 2/3 and didn't really get damaged.

Just ordered some screen protectors in the hope that it covers it as much as possible.....

No picture? Also, I’m assuming this is the sport model and not the stainless model? If it’s scratched, there isn’t anything you can do. You can use the screen protector as you mentioned, and It will conceal the scratch for the majority.

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Here you go guys......GUTTED

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 1,668
Reactions: off3nc3

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London

I wont be the guy that says use the 14 day return window...

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
It’s unfortunate. But a screen protector really should help you in this situation to conceal it. And I don’t mean to make you feel worse about the situation, but this is why I opt for the Sapphire display to avoid issues like this. I don’t trust the Ion-X Glass.

Sapphire all the way, especially for something on the end of your arm waving around all over the place!

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Try first using ‘toothpaste’.
Squeeze a bit of the toothpaste onto the watch face. Rub it into the scratch with a finger.
Wait a few minutes, then remove the toothpaste with a soft cloth, using gentle, circular polishing motions.
Also, some people blend baking soda with the toothpaste before applying the cream to the watch face. Follow the same general directions, applying the mixture to the crack, then rubbing gently with a soft cloth.

Just remember, deep scratches are not likely to come off with just toothpaste, so you might want to bring out...

The Big Guns
If toothpaste doesn't work or you just prefer to try something stronger, try diamond paste. You'll need to get a small amount of 3-micron paste and also 2.5-micron paste. Apply the 3-micron paste onto the watch face with a cotton swab, then rub with a soft cloth over the face in a circular motion, concentrating on the scratch areas. Wipe this off then repeat with the 2.5-micron paste, rubbing it until the paste is entirely gone.

For crystal watch faces, you may have to try three different grades of diamond paste, 6-, 3- and .25-micron pastes. Start with the 6-micron paste, spread it around the face and use a soft cloth, or use a hand-held Dremel tool with the felt tip. If you use the tool, rotate it in circular motions, never pressing too hard in any one spot. Repeat this with the 3-micron paste, then the .25-micron paste.

If you're not ready to go the DIY route with fixing your watch, you'll also find a variety of products on the market specifically intended to remove scratches from glass and plastic surfaces. These may work well for you if you follow label directions carefully.

Reactions: menace3

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Try first using ‘toothpaste’.
Squeeze a bit of the toothpaste onto the watch face. Rub it into the scratch with a finger.
Wait a few minutes, then remove the toothpaste with a soft cloth, using gentle, circular polishing motions.
Also, some people blend baking soda with the toothpaste before applying the cream to the watch face. Follow the same general directions, applying the mixture to the crack, then rubbing gently with a soft cloth.

Just remember, deep scratches are not likely to come off with just toothpaste, so you might want to bring out...

The Big Guns
If toothpaste doesn't work or you just prefer to try something stronger, try diamond paste. You'll need to get a small amount of 3-micron paste and also 2.5-micron paste. Apply the 3-micron paste onto the watch face with a cotton swab, then rub with a soft cloth over the face in a circular motion, concentrating on the scratch areas. Wipe this off then repeat with the 2.5-micron paste, rubbing it until the paste is entirely gone.

For crystal watch faces, you may have to try three different grades of diamond paste, 6-, 3- and .25-micron pastes. Start with the 6-micron paste, spread it around the face and use a soft cloth, or use a hand-held Dremel tool with the felt tip. If you use the tool, rotate it in circular motions, never pressing too hard in any one spot. Repeat this with the 3-micron paste, then the .25-micron paste.

If you're not ready to go the DIY route with fixing your watch, you'll also find a variety of products on the market specifically intended to remove scratches from glass and plastic surfaces. These may work well for you if you follow label directions carefully.

No, no, no, no!!! Not unless you want to remove the oleophobic coating!!

Reactions: Hicks.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
ABSOLUTELY GUTTED
I was gonna say "at least it took four full days before the first such thread appeared", but damn, man. That sucks.

Anyway, have you checked it's really the screen you've scratched, and not just the top oleophobic coat? Apparently that's happened to some people, what they thought was a scratch wore off along with the coating. There just might be hope, maybe...! :)

No, no, no, no!!! Not unless you want to remove the oleophobic coating!!
The coat will wear off anyway in the matter of weeks, tops. It always does. Arguably Apple shouldn't even bother applying it in the first place since it is so fragile, and what is it made of anyway? A number of oleophobic substances are incredibly harmful to nature (like PFAS, and most, if not all of its relatives.)

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’d rather lessen the scratch than preserve a marginally effective oleophobic coating that will last about 6 months anyway.

Besides, you can re-apply the coating later anyway.

Apple has been experimenting with glass that is less prone to shattering but scratches more easily.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Sorry to hear that. I always think is best to spend a little more on AppleCare or the Stainless model as the screen is so much more durable. I doubt if you can return it under the 14 day window as its damaged. Try the helpful information above and if that doesn't work then either live with it or take it back to Apple and see if they might consider exchanging it if you upgrade to the stainless.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
toothpastes come in all different levels of abrasiveness. not advocating or dissuading u to use it. there's a chart below:

https://www.williamsonperio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Toothpaste-Abrasiveness-Ranked-by-RDA.pdf

if u do return the watch, (which admittedly isn't the most ethical thing to do, but apple will survive if u do), i would consider spending more (if u can swing it) for the stainless steel. peace of mind justifies the incredible price jump imo. and u dont have to buy screen protectors/cases.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Try the toothpaste or maybe one of those magic eraser sponges to see if it will come out. Forget about the coating, it would have worn off in a month anyway... would you rather have fingerprints or a dirty great scratch?

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
Oh no sorry to hear that. I'm not sure if you can return or exchange within 14 days return policy due damaged.

you could try this method but I'm not sure if that will work....

buy apple care online - with your serial number, go to store in next few days to get exchange with small fee

just in case if you got the exchange - make sure you buy the screen protector i know this is annoying but it will save you for long term.

Last edited:

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Really appreciate the comments guys....thank you for your ideas
[doublepost=1537877913][/doublepost]
Did you check to see whether you could still buy AppleCare for the watch?

Just checked and yes I can.... 89GBP and then 49GBP excess on repair......

Will wait for the screen protectors to turn up tomorrow and see if they cover it enough to not annoy me......if it doesn't I will then do the apple care and learn from the mistake

Reactions: Vanilla35
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.