Scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ankit69, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ankit69 macrumors member

SO, in my attempt to install the BSE (BestSkinsEver) clear skin to help protect the macbook from scratches, i scratched my macbook from using a credit card (as suggested by BSE).... im really pissed off because i felt like i barely pressed on the credit card.... Anyways, i tried to see if i could just buy a new top component case (the top of the macbook) and just switch it out but according to my local apple store they only sell it as one unit (with lcd, etc...) which runs $800+, so im stuck with it looking this way and it really hurts to see it like this

anyone have any suggestions or know any like silcone type cover for it thats colored so i dont need to see how horrible it looks. Usually, I baby this like anything (hence the purchase of the BSE skins which backfired !)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

wow, that majorly blows. i'd hit up ebay and see what you could find, but really the best way to take care of these macbooks is to be careful with them and use a case when you take them out, there's really no need to go overboard with products like BSE, they're difficult to apply and those companies love profiting on O.C.D. mac users.

3. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Augh!!!!!!!!!

First, condolences. How on earth did the card scratch it so deep? Did it cut through the skin? From all I have read about Invisible Shield and BSE, they advertise that they minimize scratches. Should you try the shields again? I bet they will send you a replacement for free under the circumstances. If you don't have to spend additional money, then maybe that's worth a try. I say all this assuming that the shield is not on your laptop in those pictures.

4. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

im really not sure how i managed to scratch it that bad. i guess with the flash it really makes it worse than it seems but it still bothers me, i searched ebay of course and apparently no one has replacements for the top side, i even looked at about 6-7 other apple repair centers and apparently its not there as one piece. i would have to buy the entire lcd monitor and pieces for over $800!

The skin was not cut, but im really hesitant about putting it on again, it was a real pain in the butt to do because its just a piece of like clear sticky paper, its hard to align everything up and get rid of the air bubbles... anyway im depressed, wish apple would lend me a helping hand but obviously there trying to make money as well....

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

its only aluminum, there must be some way to buffer it out...

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

7. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

i was thinking the same exact thing but according to apple.com reviews on the product apparently when you remove the case this makes more scratches on the unit....

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That kind of scratch is fairly typical touch up work for a car detail shop where a lot of modern cars use metallic aluminum colored paint. Can't help you with specific products, but some scratch filler you can get from like a home depot/hardware type store plus some polishing wax will make it look good as new.

If you want a professional job you can talk to most car detail shops as they are used to getting rid of scratches and polishing. For such a small scratch it wouldn't cost much.

9. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

those reviews are on the shiny plastic ones. The Satin just came out. Are you even sure there are reviews for that one yet. The "Satin" one has a rubbery coating and it's the same material as the InCase Hardcase cover. I have the InCase one on my old BlackBook and it works PERFECTLY. It is hard to take off and it doesn't allow for much of a range with the display. Speck says that this one is easy on and off and doesn't restrict the display. But who knows for sure until they are in stock and some reviews.

10. ebika macrumors 6502

I can't fathom how you managed to scratch your macbook like that... that totally sucks! Were you using the corner of the credit card instead of the flat edge?

I have the Invisible Shield film on my mbp that I thought were the same 3M material as BSE. The Invisible Shield kit came with a bottle of diluted baby shampoo that you use to get the films wet, slide them in place and let them dry... super easy to squish out the air bubbles when it is wet (if there were any). Are the BSE ones not like that?

11. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

bse does not include a squeege or a spray bottle! according to there website they say use a credit card and water or water+ soap

12. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

The thought of having to wet down your notebook, ipods etc. really creeps me out. I'm too scared to try it.

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

14. ebika macrumors 6502

Heh, understandable, but in this case you are only getting the film damp. You don't have to spray anything on to the gadget.

15. youssefm macrumors 6502

gasp... =[

im sorry that happened, try and be more careful i guess. or get an apple sac, they rock =D

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is all very confusing. BSE utilizes the same material that protects military helicopter blades and you scratched through it with a plastic credit card?!

17. Ankit69 thread starter macrumors member

apparently so, although the skin is not ruptured or anything yet the scratches went thru and scratched up my macbook as you can see above

18. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I thought they used duct tape for that ;) , mind you duct tape is the same color as the macbook :rolleyes: .

19. danvan21 macrumors regular

credit card=plastic topcase=aluminum plastic will not scratch aluminum, its impossible. Take a wet cloth a wipe it down and it will go away unless you scratched it with a rare metal credit card.

20. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

21. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

No. If it was stainless then yes, you could buff it. Even if it look like it, Apple isn't using a plain sheet of aluminum that they carve and then ship it, it's anodized first. If you try to buff your aluminum macbook, you'll more then likely remove the anodized surface. Result of this would be that the zone where you buffed would be deleveled with the rest of the surface, would look different in colors & textures, start to oxide and to let a black "oil" (aluminum oxide) on things that come in contact with and be a lot more prone to scratchs. You might not see all these symptoms directly, depending on the allow Apple used for the Macbooks, but has I worked a lot with "naked" aluminum, it'll come with times, and after 3 years of use, you WILL see a big difference.

Consider them as battle wounds. I have a fews on mine and that just made my Macbook even more personal to me.

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

who knows, maybe he did use a black amex card :D

23. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

If it would have been the case, He would surely have a MBP/a dozen more for back up in cases like it :p

24. California macrumors 68040

California

If the OP actually did those scratches with a plastic credit card, then BSE owes him a new topcase as he was "following instructions."

25. amrk47 macrumors regular

I believe the OP is telling a bunch of BS for attention

there is no way a credit card would leave scratches on aluminum