Screenshots for Upcoming Nike+ App for iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPhon.fr posts (via Gizmodo) screenshots for the upcoming Nike+ running application for iPhone. Nike+ is a running accessory for the iPod Nano that allows you to track your running.
    A new version of the iPhone and iPod touch had been reported but no announcements have been made since. The iPhone's always-on internet connection is expected to allow you to update your training log on the fly. The screenshots also reveal that mapping is included.

A few other running apps such as RunKeeper have been featured on our iPhone Blog (rss) which is tracking some of the latest iPhone app developments.

Article Link

2. RevK macrumors member

3. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

maybe this will make go out a Nike+ kit and actually make me get my fat ass up and kind of run around...

4. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

nice. being able to touch the diferent setings

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

seems quite cool.. but adding a HRM (heart rate monitor) would also be beneficial ;)

i may actually take running more seriously

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Interesting...so it won't ditch the shoe sensor for GPS? I guess the GPS isn't accurate enough.

7. adom macrumors 6502

8. b1wils1 macrumors regular

b1wils1

love for nike+

i can honestly say that the nike+ program completely turned running on for me. before it, there was little motivation to challenge myself as i never saw results, but after having used it since January of 07, I've seen a shift in lifestyle priorities, and it helped me in finishing my first ironman last weekend. i recommend it to anyone, and the iphone app will further my interest in the program.

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I hope Nike comes out with a kick as arm band too.

I have tried a couple and just don't trust those others.

I REALLY liked the armband for the nano that they made.

10. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I refuse to purchase products from a company that once published this ad in a hiking magazine:

"Fortunately, the Air Dri-Goat features a patented, goat-like out sole for increased traction, so you can taunt mortal injury without actually experiencing it. Right about now you're probably asking yourself, "How can a trail running shoe with an outer sole designed like a goat's hoof help me avoid compressing my spinal cord into a Slinky on the side of some unsuspecting conifer, thereby rendering me a a drooling, misshapen, non-extreme-trail-running husk of my former self, forced to roam the Earth in a motorized wheelchair with my name, embossed on one of those cute little license plates you get at carnivals or state fairs, fastened to the back?"
    To that we answer, hey, have you ever seen a mountain goat (even an extreme mountain goat) careen out of control into the side of a tree?
    Didn't think so."

Nike lost my business in 2000.

11. ravikc Guest

12. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

opinions... opinions... sadly no one cares but your grumbling self.

13. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

The quote in the post is talking about the iPod nano. I'm sure the Nike+ will use GPS much like the Garmin Forerunner series.

This is gonna be an awesome app!

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I hope so. The current system can't detect when you go up or down hills...it just thinks you are slowing down/speeding up for no apparent reason.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Looks very cool. I've been waiting for this announcement for a while.

If it only works with the 3G because it needs the GPS, this may be the App that forces me to upgrade.

16. juice831 macrumors member

I was already happy with the armband now i'm STOKED on the app! just waiting for the Sling Player (=

17. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

i totally agree! :)

18. tgildred macrumors 6502

I actually recently lost my iPod Nano (stolen) and the week I went without it was hell. I had no motivation to run (though I did) without knowing roughly how far or fast I was going--and running without music was not much fun either. I've become completely dependent.

The sad thing was I had to go out and buy a new one knowing there would likely be an iPod touch-based Nike+ coming soon. I had told myself that I would buy a touch when it: a) reached 32 gb, and b) included Nike+ support.

Sigh. Anyone want to buy a slightly used iPod nano in a few months? :)

Edit: Assuming this will work with the iPod touch. If iPhone only, then I'm OK. :p

19. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

as much as i prefer running with my shuffle, this would be pretty sweet. i've contemplated buying a nano just so i could use nike+
    the difference with me is i enjoy running and have been doing it for years. this will hardly be motivational, just a nice tool to calculate routes and whatnot.

20. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I was not alone, in expressing my displeasure to Nike:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nikegoat.asp

I have 6 kids, none of whom have had any merchandise with a Nike swoosh logo on it, since that ad came out. When they turn 18, they can do as they wish.

21. tekmoe macrumors 68000

so it would appear the nike+ kit will work with the iphone in the near future? i would like to use my iphone when i run instead of my nano as i could sell the nano and make back some of my money.

22. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

in my experience, i'm not sure the gps is accurate enough for this.

Thus far, if I've ever been lucky enough to have GPS trigger in the Maps app, it has always consistently trailed my actual location. This is going to be a major, major problem for gps driving instructions, but maybe not so major for running. At least with running I'm only doing like 6-7 mph.

23. tekmoe macrumors 68000

If I had six kids, I'd be complaining about senseless crap too.

24. tgildred macrumors 6502

Companies make dumb decisions in regard to advertising sometimes. I know it's no excuse, but sometimes the executives don't even know what ads are being created. I can think of a couple instances at fairly large corporations where this happened and can only imagine the disconnect there must be at Nike with such a diverse product range. At least they apologized and pulled the ad.

Even Apple has run afoul of the politically correct crowd. Remember the "thin is in" slogan? No company is immune from making ignorant or potentially offensive statements when they're trying to be "glib."

25. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

So you feel that my being upset with those who belittle the disabled is senseless? How else are we to educate the ignorant?