Screw you, Apple

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by d3vilsadvocate, Sep 21, 2014.

1. d3vilsadvocate macrumors newbie

I came here to vent. Apple wants me to free 4,6GB of storage on my 16GB Iphone 5 on which I only have 1,4GB of free storage left. I'd have to delete my 4,5GB of pictures or my 3GB of music + 1GB of messages (why do my pure text messages require 1gb of storage??) + probably something else just to install a frickin' update that is probably going to be buggy as hell.

You know what's funny about this? The iphone 6 base model is still delivered with 16GB space only.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll just stay with ios7 then.

2. wannabepcuser macrumors member

I thought I heard that if you upgrade via iTunes the space required is much less.

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Just connect connect to your computer and update via iTunes. Problem solved.

4. d3vilsadvocate thread starter macrumors newbie

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Remember, iOS8 replaces iOS7. The difference in 'space' is then minimal.

6. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should educate yourself before you rant on a message board.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Ignorance isn't bliss, huh?
    Backup up phone.
    Update
    Won't lose a thing
    Simple

This isn't android. Learn to use your damn phone instead of "venting"

8. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

It still takes more space than iOS 7, as it now has Podcasts and iBooks apps included.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

For a company that all about simplicity and making things easy, selling 16GB iPads and iPhones is wrong. Apple is making people be the janitor of their iOS device.

I get Apple is a business but having iPhone 6 start at 16GB (which hasn't changed in 6 years), is asinine.

10. betterbegood macrumors member

betterbegood

And you might want to work on your people-skills (or lack thereof). :rolleyes:
    The forum is not for tech-nerds only. The guy was happy for the assistance he got. ;)

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I've always purchased the largest capacity iPhone, and so can you. 'Problem' solved.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I think what's worse is that the $0/450 iPhone 5c only has 8GB. You'd pretty much need it to be empty in order to upgrade OTA.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

lol. I only used 8.7 GBS of my iPhone but couldn't update. You expect people to spend an additional 50% on their iPhones for the next size up just to update? Stop acting like Apple isn't being stubborn. Selling base model 16GB devices for over 6 years is stingy.

The fact that I've had to help 6 people update their iPhones with my Mac says something (not hyperbole).

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

The base model 5c is/was 8GB, not 16GB.

I'm not saying 16GB is enough, but people do have a choice and most people choose the cheapest option for whatever reason.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Right. The installation requirement strikes me as just "working space". I admit it is probably too big.

16. Rodster macrumors 68040

Again with the Android FUD. I've been using Android phones and tablets since Gingerbread and not once has that happened. I've never lost anything and OTA updates work just fine with 100% success rate.

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I only lost 0.2 GB of space upgrading to IOS 8 from IOS 7.1.1 and that was even after upgrading every app on my phone to the latest version. Hard to say it's much larger if I updated IOS and about 10 apps, and saw only this small increase in occupied space. Much of it likely went to the updated apps as well.

18. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Unless it is actually pure text (which I doubt) you probably have lots of pictures/videos stored in there as well.

19. jcaramanica macrumors newbie

I've never understood why many Apple fans are extremely arrogant. Bashing someone for not knowing something? Seriously? I didn't know that the forum had rules against venting. No one forced you to click into this thread. How about more educating and less insulting?

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I can understand some people being unhappy about having to unload a lot of stuff from their phone to make room for the installation process. I can also understand new people being ignorant of how to do a proper backup, or having a fear that they will lose everything they currently have on their phone when updating.

I believe the lack of installation space was what the OP was complaining about.

Kudos to the member who said that not everyone here is an Apple / tech nerd. This is a wonderful place to get much needed information. Sometimes, we have to remember that we were all new once. And what may seem easy to us, may not be for others and that is why they are here.

21. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Android FUD? Pretty sure you can't backup all your data and have an identical phone after restore with Android (no third party crap).

Try again maybe?

22. d3vilsadvocate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. Maybe my post was a bit too 'ranty', but I really had no idea that updating via iTunes would require less space despite the fact that I've been using iphones for years now. It seems logical, but it doesn't say so anywhere which is typical for Apple. But thanks to MR this got solved quickly.

Also, my GF made some movies with my phone and sent them to hers via imessage. Hence the 1GB 'pure data' hehe :p

I still expected 32GB to become the minimum on the new phones. It's not like a 32GB usb stick costs that much anymore these days, nor does 60-256GB of SSD ram. Maybe these things aren't comparable, but apple is really milking its customers with these storage upgrades.

23. olepi macrumors newbie

Do tell....

24. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Whatever mister self righteous.

25. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

LOL... (sits stroking chin...)