Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Gotcha. So you had the 80 MB drive all the way until 2010 or 11?!? And yes, I'm right there with you on the CD player. I never had a Walkman CD player because all I could afford was the $20 knockoff CD players. I went through about 3 of them between 2000 and 2005 so in the end I would have been better off with a Walkman, but the 10-15 year old me didn't think like that. And I used Windows 98 until 2004, XP until 2007, and then I stayed current through Windows 7. I'm a Mac guy all the way now, but I've always liked and will continue to like Windows.

Sorry for getting so off topic, I'm honestly getting tired of the hostile environment around here and I think it's nice to remember that for all some of us disagree on, we're still human beings. I try to remember that every time I get behind my keyboard, but it doesn't always work.

I had Sony WalkMan cassette player before, but was stolen by someone. Later, I brought the Pansonic CD player and Sony Mini Disk player. These thing was very popular at mid of 2000ish.

For Windows, I pretty much used all version of Windows, including Windows 95 (my mother's office), Windows 3.1 (emulator). Only thing i did not like was Windows 8.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Wait... did you seriously just suggest someone else should manage YOUR device??

How funny.... Love that perspective

I think what he's trying to say is that we should be able to load up our devices like hoarders and never be forced to choose between what we use and what we quit using 5 years ago.

----------

I had Sony WalkMan cassette player before, but was stolen by someone. Later, I brought the Pansonic CD player and Sony Mini Disk player. These thing was very popular at mid of 2000ish.

For Windows, I pretty much used all version of Windows, including Windows 95 (my mother's office), Windows 3.1 (emulator). Only thing i did not like was Windows 8.

Hey I had Walkmans too. Convenient at the time. Course was only option really. No one wanted an 8-track on their hip. And record players never play well when traveling.

I got my first cd based Walkman after realizing what a fragile piece of junk the first iPod nano was (my first iPod). I then wanted something that I could throw on the seat of my truck, plug into the cheapie cassette deck in the dash and play hours of music. The IPod was too fragile. It was scratched just removing it from the retail box. So I got an MP3 cd Walkman and was quite happy, and it loved bouncing around the pickup and still works all this time later and doesn't look any worse than it did new.

Now, who remembers wedging matchbooks around their 8-track to get it lined up right so it would warble only one song at a time?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've never understood why many Apple fans are extremely arrogant. Bashing someone for not knowing something? Seriously? I didn't know that the forum had rules against venting. No one forced you to click into this thread. How about more educating and less insulting?

It's not our job to educate someone who specifically came here to "vent" and bash the company the forums are based around.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I still expected 32GB to become the minimum on the new phones. It's not like a 32GB usb stick costs that much anymore these days, nor does 60-256GB of SSD ram. Maybe these things aren't comparable, but apple is really milking its customers with these storage upgrades.

16 gb is the average phone sold today. Look around occasionally.

Besides, you'd still have it full and be ranting about how unfair it is that you have to make room to update.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It's not our job to educate someone who specifically came here to "vent" and bash the company the forums are based around.

Did I hear there's a job opening? I'll take it. That'll be a billion dollars good sir, happy venting.

Oh, education.... Ok, ummm.... Venting without goal equal pointless.

That'll be 2 billion good sir. Have a nice day.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Did I hear there's a job opening? I'll take it. That'll be a billion dollars good sir, happy venting.

Oh, education.... Ok, ummm.... Venting without goal equal pointless.

That'll be 2 billion good sir. Have a nice day.

Literally what does this even mean?

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
16 gb is the average phone sold today. Look around occasionally.

Besides, you'd still have it full and be ranting about how unfair it is that you have to make room to update.

So you're saying the iPhone is average, I thought it was a BMW?

Actually, I was going to buy it, but it is pretty average, I walked in and played around with it for a while and thought why upgrade my HTC One X when I'm not getting much more than I've got. I was also going to buy the iPhone Plus but it looked pretty ugly with those big bezels. So I'll see what else comes out, maybe by Samsung or LG or HTC.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
So you're saying the iPhone is average, I thought it was a BMW?

Actually, I was going to buy it, but it is pretty average, I walked in and played around with it for a while and thought why upgrade my HTC One X when I'm not getting much more than I've got. I was also going to buy the iPhone Plus but it looked pretty ugly with those big bezels. So I'll see what else comes out, maybe by Samsung or LG or HTC.

Congrats Enjoy your Samsung. Have fun with the droid. Don't forget to change his oil every billion cycles.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Because in ios I don't need to move files. I have them already in the devices large memory space. In android, the only large memory space available is the external flash memory you add, and in my experience the only way to get files onto it and make use of the space is to hack and root the device. Glad all my memory is available in one space on iOS and so easy to back up.
All the memory of the SD card is also in one place... You get a 32GB or 64GB phone, and add in a 128GB MicroSD card. The 64GB is used for apps and files you change on the device, and the 128GB MicroSD is what you put your music and videos on. Once it's on the card, there's no need to move files around.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Wait... did you seriously just suggest someone else should manage YOUR device??

Not sure how you think I said that...I said Apple is making me be the janitor of my iPhone: I have to pick and choose what to delete or keep just to get an update.

I'm playing off how Apple justified its version multitasking in iOS 4; Steve Jobs said their version avoids people being the janitor of their devices.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Not sure how you think I said that...I said Apple is making me be the janitor of my iPhone: I have to pick and choose what to delete or keep just to get an update.

I'm playing off how Apple justified its version multitasking in iOS 4; Steve Jobs said their version avoids people being the janitor of their devices.

Still not making sense. You bought a 16gb phone. So did I. We knew the risks of choosing the smallest capacity. You bought it. You own it. It's yours. Of course you're the janitor. It isn't up to Apple or anyone else to manage the space on the device. If it's really that distasteful of a task, pay someone to be the janitor of your phone.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
All the memory of the SD card is also in one place... You get a 32GB or 64GB phone, and add in a 128GB MicroSD card. The 64GB is used for apps and files you change on the device, and the 128GB MicroSD is what you put your music and videos on. Once it's on the card, there's no need to move files around.

As already stated, on the one device, I had to give up all built in memory to enable use of the SD card... And, that required tons of software / developer tools to be used and manual tweaks to the phone through the command line in windows... not exactly a friendly solution.

And, on the other 2 devices, no solution will work to enable use of the SD card without rooting / hacking the devices, which they appear to be impervious too... in other words, SD card is useless.

jcaramanica

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012

So then what exactly would you say is the point of these forums then? Yeah, and I'm sure Apple's feelings will be greatly hurt.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Still not making sense. You bought a 16gb phone. So did I. We knew the risks of choosing the smallest capacity. You bought it. You own it. It's yours. Of course you're the janitor. It isn't up to Apple or anyone else to manage the space on the device. If it's really that distasteful of a task, pay someone to be the janitor of your phone.

I bought a 16GB device. I used 8.8 GB and couldn't update (about half my quota). What was I supposed to do - buy a 32GB device when I need to use 8.8GB?

Defend Apple all you want but they aren't focusing on user experience in this aspect. If Samsung or Nokia were doing selling 16GB flagships & users couldn't update, I'd expect it. But not from a company who's differenitating favor is user experience

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I bought a 16GB device. I used 8.8 GB and couldn't update (about half my quota). What was I supposed to do - buy a 32GB device when I need to use 8.8GB?

Defend Apple all you want but they aren't focusing on user experience in this aspect. If Samsung or Nokia were doing selling 16GB flagships & users couldn't update, I'd expect it. But not from a company who's differentiating favor is user experience
I agree. They really shouldn't be selling 8GB iPhones anymore when an update requires 5GB free given even their lowest end current model costs $450 retail.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I've never understood why many Apple fans are extremely arrogant. Bashing someone for not knowing something? Seriously? I didn't know that the forum had rules against venting. No one forced you to click into this thread. How about more educating and less insulting?

It's not just Apple fans. Android fans do it to. Go to the alternatives section. You'll see it. Go to an android forum. You'll see it.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Ignorance isn't bliss, huh?
Backup up phone.
Update
Won't lose a thing
Simple

This isn't android. Learn to use your damn phone instead of "venting"

"And the man gets a cigar"
- Chico Marx (Chicolini), Duck soup..1933

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
As already stated, on the one device, I had to give up all built in memory to enable use of the SD card... And, that required tons of software / developer tools to be used and manual tweaks to the phone through the command line in windows... not exactly a friendly solution.

And, on the other 2 devices, no solution will work to enable use of the SD card without rooting / hacking the devices, which they appear to be impervious too... in other words, SD card is useless.

I don't know what Andriod devices you have been working with, but that was no my experience at all with the Galaxy S3 I just switched from.

Other than apps, it allowed you full access to the removable storage, no hacking required. Samsung includes a file browser and there are even better ones on the Play Store that allow direct streaming of network media for example.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I agree. They really shouldn't be selling 8GB iPhones anymore when an update requires 5GB free given even their lowest end current model costs $450 retail.

This is incorrect. The install of iOS 8 doesn't require 5GB of free space if you sideload-install via your computer and iTunes. The 5GB free space is only needed for OTA install of iOS 8.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is incorrect. The install of iOS 8 doesn't require 5GB of free space if you sideload-install via your computer and iTunes. The 5GB free space is only needed for OTA install of iOS 8.
Obviously, I was referring to OTA install. They made a big deal about OTA updates and not needing iTunes on a computer starting with iOS 5 so I think requiring your iPhone to be practically empty in order to update is a step backwards. :rolleyes:

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Obviously, I was referring to OTA install. They made a big deal about OTA updates and not needing iTunes on a computer starting with iOS 5 so I think requiring your iPhone to be practically empty in order to update is a step backwards. :rolleyes:

To be fair, it's a whole new install not just an minor version update.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
To be fair, it's a whole new install not just an minor version update.
Doesn't matter if it's a major update or not. If Apple starts requiring 5-6GB free space for OTA iOS updates, they really should start bumping up capacity on the base models to maintain user experience given the premium pricing on iPhones and iPads. I mean really, 16GB on a $750 smartphone?

Last edited:

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Screw you, Apple

Doesn't matter if it's a major update or not. If Apple starts requiring 5-6GB free space for iOS updates, they really should start bumping up capacity on the base models to maintain user experience given the premium pricing on iPhones and iPads. I mean really, 16GB on a $750 smartphone?

Once again, Apple doesn't require 5-6 GB for updates. You are wrong. And iOS 8 is more than an update. iOS 8 is the eighth major release of the iOS mobile operating system designed by Apple Inc. as the successor to iOS 7.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_8

Apple doesn't require you to install a new OS release, either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.