Second and Third-Generation Apple TV Models Not Working for Some Users

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Some second and third-generation Apple TV owners have started experiencing a mysterious bug over the last few days, which seems to have essentially disabled the device for a number of users. Affected Apple TV models are only able to display Computers, Music, and Settings, with no other channel options available.

Customers who are seeing the issue have had all of their menu options suddenly disappear, leaving them unable to watch Netflix, Hulu, and other Apple TV channels.

[​IMG]
    Image via MacRumors reader Gabbisonn

This seems to be a bug that's been around for awhile, but has become more prevalent over the last day or two. MacRumors has received several complaints via email, and there are threads outlining the problem both on our forums and on Reddit.

Restarting the Apple TV, resetting a router, and resetting the Apple TV don't seem to work. A region change offers a temporary solution, but ultimately, the channels disappear again for many users. Some users have partially fixed the issue by changing DNS settings, but this doesn't work for all users. A MacRumors reader describes the problem:
    Not all Apple TV users are affected by the issue, but it appears to be fairly widespread. Only the Apple TV 2 and 3 are impacted -- the fourth-generation Apple TV is functioning fine.

Apple's support staff told a Reddit user that a fix was in the works, and to expect a software update in the near future. A MacRumors reader received similar information, with Apple suggesting a fix would be pushed within the next few hours.

Article Link: Second and Third-Generation Apple TV Models Not Working for Some Users

2. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

It will gradually become slower and battery life will decrease as well. Wait what?

3. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

Lately, Apple devices with their software releases can be summed up in two words:

Quality Assurance

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The quality of Apple software these days is outstanding.

5. WBRacing macrumors 65816

It'd be interesting to know what's changed that would cause this. I haven't seen any software updates in ages so presume there must be some form of remote service issue rather than local.

6. btbeme macrumors regular

The "fix" is likely the complete bricking of the device so you are compelled to buy the absolutely crappy Gen 4.

7. w00master macrumors 65816

8. ProVideo macrumors 6502

It's a simplified interface. This is a feature.

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

10. coolfactor macrumors 601

I can see my future.... my 74 year old mother sending me emails, messages and calling on the phone because her Apple TV isn't working. Where has her Netflix gone?

11. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

Well I guess they need a way to get people buy their new overpriced models, I wonder how long it will be before my 2012 MBP goes tits up?

Saying that though I've just checked and my 2nd gen is still working "touches wood"

12. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Very interesting. My 3rd-gen has never given me a single problem, was watching Netflix on it just last night. Nice to know that Apple is working on a solution and not hanging owners of these older products out to dry already.

13. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

A magical feature to empower upgrading to ATV4.

14. Altis macrumors 68030

Yet another example of why it would be nice to have a bit more control over the software on Apple devices... You could revert back to working versions.

15. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

16. bmfarley macrumors newbie

FIX: Just switch your iTunes store to a different country, then switch back to United States.

17. Shanpdx macrumors 68020

we do not design anything for price, $69 here you go, sometimes it (apple tv) works!

18. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Thought i was losing my mind...trying to input my Apple ID in my 3rd gen and it was an endless two factor authentication loop with only 'Computer' and 'Settings' showing, even after a restart and full restore.

TBH, no great loss as I just bought a Fire TV stick for $39 which supports 4K, and is just all around far more capable (has PlayStation Vue app too) than even the new Apple TV.

19. Zance macrumors newbie

This was posted after the issue was resolved... If you're still experiencing the issue, restart the ATV. It will work.

20. kylependley macrumors newbie

kylependley

This fix for this is buy a new Apple TV! At least that's what Apple wants

21. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Seriously though, everyone should just get gen 4, it's not even a close comparison.

22. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

It upset me that Apple didn't bring Apple Music to the 3rd gen Apple TV.

23. hinesmj macrumors 6502

I've actually loved mine...

24. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Because it doesn't do 4k. I'd rather buy a Roku or an Xbox One S that supports 4k HDR.