Second Annual Winter PowerPC Challenge! January 1-8, 2018

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Camacorn macrumors member

Camacorn

Haha, Apple allow Kmart to carry their product? Nah, but I worked there until they closed our store in March 2017 :(

I snagged these photos last week when they held an indoor flea market in our old building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dronecatcher, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

You can use Fluid (Leopard only) or TenFourFoxBox to make a webapp of it, however, SoundCloud is CPU intensive - on my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook, a FoxBox of the site runs between 85-90 % CPU. The way round this is to go to the mobile version but the site is quite picky about user agents, so I've attached one that works.
    With this, the site runs around 50% CPU but lacks all the features of the full version.

A FoxBox always creates a standard prefs file which has the TFF useragent, as such mobile sites can't be resolved, the way round this is to launch the FoxBox once, close, then replace the prefs file with one adjusted to have a mobile device user agent.

The attached zip contains a FoxBox with appropriate icon and the custom prefs file.

Sound.jpg

Attached Files:

3. doggoli macrumors member

doggoli

Day 3
    was pretty boring.. i did all of the regular stuff with no issues

Day 4
    Unfortunately i am typing this up on my Core Duo imac because my iBook decided not to boot, it would post and i would see the apple logo, but it just spins into oblivion, however i am just reinstalling Leopard right now and hope to have it up and running with all of my apps, music...etc by the end of the day.

Cool! I will definitely check this out!

4. pet84rik macrumors member

pet84rik

Day 4: today I am using my PowerMac G4 with archaic clock speed of 400 MHz. But it is still surprisingly snappy when I do not use modern web (actually, this is for the first time today when I am on a web with javascripts, etc., I only crawled on OpenBSD website, forums, mailing lists, I read all the stuff on gopher I missed for the last few days). Even editing the HD movie is possible. Of course, the final rendering is super slow, but I can do anything else during that time.

Also, I finally tried my new keyboard and mouse set from Cherry, super nice experience. It is not an expensive set, but I really like it :)

So, my last day of the challenge is today since I will go to work on weekend. It was fun and I really can not wait for a summer edition.

5. AphoticD, Jan 4, 2018

AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

Day 3: I continued on with my work using the G5s running Tiger and Leopard and the Mac Pro as the headless provider of keyboard/mouse (Synergy) and media serving. After hours, the PowerBook 12” came out again for a late night of coding. Hit the sack at 4am after dealing with mind numbing KVC/KVO errors in Cocoa.

Day 4: It was a slow start after the late night session. Kicked off work at 10am and saw it through with the G5s until 6pm. Also fired up the PBG4 17” (1.67Ghz) and PBG4 15” (1.5Ghz). Tested and fine tuned my code on both machines (spanning both Tiger and Leopard). I was pleased to discover the 17” was able to keep up with real-time full-screen Core Image rendering. The extra VRAM (128MB) makes a big difference over the 64MB graphics in the 15” to speed up the processing time for CIFilters on the GPU (via OpenGL).

I also fired up my Sawtooth G4 (600Mhz) with Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB AGP) and found that it was also able to keep up (almost) on par with the PBG4 17” when rendering Core Image Filters. Because of this little discovery, I have set a minimum of 128MB VRAM as a requirement for Real-time filter animations in my project.

After spending time with the wife and kids, I pulled out the Pismo (G3 400mhz) to run through some coding tutorials and challenges in the current Mac programming book I am reading. Got though creating a simple to-do list app and playing with Key Value Coding /Observing and Cocoa Bindings.

The Pismo is a joy to work with now that I have replaced the battery, maxed out the ram and put in an SSD. I’ll try overclocking it to 450mhz or maybe 500 by soldering the PLL switches on the CPU daughter card next time I feel up for a challenge.

6. Lastic, Jan 4, 2018

Lastic macrumors 6502a

Day 4

So this morning I started up the iBook G4 on my home Ethernet via cable (WiFi gave APIPA IP again) to pull in a new serie to watch during the train commute.

Got on the train, installed the 14" iBook and the table that can take just 2 x 12" laptops was full, sorry fellow passengers, luckily in the morning commute there isn't a lot of people getting on the train.

Day 4 AM Train Commute 14inch.jpg

Watched an episode of Marvel Runaways in Coreplayer on "Better Battery Life" and looks like the 14" stutters almost never compared to the iBook 12" (on Better Performance !) running on battery.

Day 4 Train Commute AM in progress.png

I also had TFF-Fp5b opened to reply and check some forums posts here , iBook tethered to the 4G Personal WiFi Hotspot of my iPhone 5c.

Train commute back home after work , a lot more people so I didn't have a free table without covering my
    fellow passenger's Sudoku book thus no iBook use on the train .

Arrived home, posting this on the 14" iBook G4 which seems to connect again to my WiFi network, looks it always has to connect to a different network in order to connect to WiFi again ?

Eating now ...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2018 ---
    Out of curiousity what is your setup when you program , do you have a book open on a desk with the laptop also on the desk ?

I always end up in a couch with a laptop but the 12" screen bothers me to do debugging because of the lack of workspace and then I have to put the laptop aside if I want to read the book.

7. Camacorn macrumors member

Camacorn

My G4 Cube had the same issue when using Airport. I would have to change from my 2G to my 5G connection in order for it to work, and viseversa the next time I restarted it. I just took the Airport card out, put it in my G3, and use ethernet with the Cube now. I'm certain it's a software issue. In your case however, as it's a laptop, definitely would be nice to find a fix.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Relinking the Fluid app you create against Leopard Webkit can make a serious difference.

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

No longer works for me with latest Webkit - once an app is relinked, they crash on launch.

10. eyoungren, Jan 4, 2018

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…I know the one I downloaded works, but I don't believe it's recent.

I will check it when I get home later.

Ah…there we go. Was able to connect to my server, find it and move the file to Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfineeux4cmvhyt/WebKit-603.3.3-Leopard-PowerPC.dmg?dl=0

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

It's no biggy...I find between Fluid, FoxBoxes and customised browsers I've got all my needs convered nowadays :)

12. AphoticD, Jan 4, 2018

AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

For going through programming books I’ve been either on the couch, book and a ‘book on my lap and trying to juggle it, while the kids watch a movie or something. Or sitting in bed with my significant other, trying to focus while she talks my ear off. I’ve spent a lot of time studying either sitting in the car at a quiet spot or taking the motorbike for a spin just to get away from distractions.

I normally get used to the small screens after 10 mins or so. It was funny on my clamshell iBook I setup BBEdit, MPW and Ircle on Mac OS 8.6 and had a realization that at one time 800x600 was quite a comfortable resolution to work in when your main production font was Monaco 9pt.

3BED6350-DB66-44A3-9D28-50A88722C9AF.jpeg

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

Gold :D

14. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

Day 4
    It was going to be a busy day with some rush at work so the powerbook stayed at home.
    One find was that even doing things faster on the lenovo I also do less, because I have more distractions (social networking).
    At the end of the day I ended up watching a documentary in the Powerbook (thanks PPC Media Center) and reading some articles.

Day 5

The Pb is back to work!Hangouts takes almost 1 minute to load even on Tenfourbox, but after that is ok. I was able to download a folder from dropbox website (took a while but it was done) and now time to work.
    By this time I kinda ditched the nokia, using the iphone se mainly because of spotify (On the powerbook I get some errors and not all playlists play, and I am not in the mood to be working on it).
    So far I am enjoying the experience!

15. LightBulbFun macrumors 65816

LightBulbFun

while due to the big house re-arrange going on I cant take part of the PPC challenge, I did say that it would open more space for more Macs

and as such I was able to drag my Multiple scan 14 (that came with my 4400) out from long term storage, and setup a nice desk of beige :) (with a dash of Leopard :D ) most of the time the G3 Beige has its stock 266Mhz CPU fitted, but for the bellow shot I fitted my 500Mhz 7410 Sonnet ZIF that normally lives in the BW G3 to the G3 beige to see Leopard on a/my Multiple scan 14 monitor (im pretty sure thats a first :) )

upload_2018-1-5_9-59-1.png

also enjoyed an obligatory game of Quake3 :) (Time to (LAN) Party like its 1999! :D ignore the fact the ethernet cable is not plugged in LOL ) this was with the stock 266Mhz CPU, the Rage Pro PCI Graphics was the major bottle neck here not the CPU much.

upload_2018-1-5_10-3-3.png

16. AphoticD, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

*shakes fist at the Multiscan 14*

“That’s the guy!”

Many moons ago, I got too close and personal with that ‘tube when wielding an unshielded screwdriver and trying to fine tune the hsync/vsync dimmer pots. I promptly received an almighty zap that flipped me off my feet and across the room. It was one of those things you do when you’re young and dumb.

Good to see Leopard taking a stroll on the Beige box with a dusty old Multiscan CRT. You should do a YouTube video to mark the occasion. What is the lowest spec you’ve gotten Leopard to boot on?

——-
    Journal update:

Day 5 - A full day of work again just on one G5 though. I then fired up the Titanium PowerBook G4 (867Mhz) to run through some tests with my Xcode project. The Mobility Radeon 9000 does a good job of keeping Leopard zippy enough, but my CoreImage code was far too demanding for the GPU/CPU to keep up. I rebooted the TiBook into Tiger and found that my code works much better here, but no chance of real-time CoreImage filter rendering.

I’m about to sit down with the Pismo again for some more study.

This 630 page tome arrived in the post today o_O

D02AD45A-EF91-4B5A-84A1-DD58A30187A8.jpeg
    Advanced Mac OS X Programming 2nd Edition by Mark Dalrymple and Aaron Hillegass (2006)

17. LightBulbFun macrumors 65816

LightBulbFun

*Bzzzt* *many obscenities* I know that routine very well myself :D

I need to get a female DB15 to Male VGA adapter so i can Jab the multiple scan 14 into my Mac Pro :) (im not talking about the common Adapter that lets you plug a VGA monitor into a DB15 mac, but an adapter Apple made that let you jab a DB15 monitor into a VGA port)

I dont have a youtube video of this specific combo booting/running, but I do have a youtube video of my G3 beige Outrigger booting Debian 8 Jessie with the same Multiple scan 14 that you love so much :D

speaking of Linux I did manage to get the G3 beige booting a Live USB of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS, it actually ran surprisingly well, with navigating the OS being quite slick for the hardware it was running on, i was expecting a major chug fest. ill have to throw the 266Mhz IBM PPC750 back in and see how it does then :)

upload_2018-1-5_12-28-44.png

in terms of lowest end Hardware I have run leopard on, prolly the same G3 beige tower but with a 7400 clocked at a whopping 133Mhz :D theres some screenies floating around on Mac rumours of that :) I have also booted Leopard on as little as 91MB of RAM but that was via emulating a G3 beige using QEMU.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Does everyone in Oz ride motorcycles? ;)

Got a friend in Maryborough, Victoria who rides.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2018 ---
    Until they accuse you of not listening to them and you step in it when you can't remember what they were talking about! :D

19. AL1630 macrumors regular

AL1630

Jan 4 (Day 1 for me)- Spent a bit of time browsing the web on my iBook G4, and did some work in google docs. It's pretty sluggish, but definitely usable. I listened to music on my 'new' iPod while browsing. It's like taking a little trip back about 12 years. :cool:

20. Lastic macrumors 6502a

I looked up that book on Amazon and that looks more up in my ante , please let me know wether it deals with hardware low-level C programming or not .

21. doggoli macrumors member

doggoli

Day 4/5

Unfortunately i am still having various issues with my setup and i am afraid i won't be able to finish the challenge... However, in the challenge so far i could not produce a scenario that my G4 could not handle. If i manage to get it up i will try and finish it!

22. AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

Some low level C (about 100 pages on Disk I/O) and lots of multithreading and multiprocessing fundamentals, plus debugging, profiling, analysis, etc. There are interesting topics for programming network sockets for server/client designs and distributed objects / parallel computing. Not much in terms of low level hardware programming though. There would be other books on IOKit or BSD Kernel programming for the truly low level stuff.

The edition of this book listed on Amazon appears to be updated for 10.5 and 10.6, whereas the edition I have is specific to 10.3 and 10.4.

I feel like it’s another solid addition to my library and I intend to make use of much of it as my programming skills grow.

23. AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

I started riding in Victoria in 2011. The cooler climate is perfect for just cruising around the country side, but it does rain all year round. I initially got myself the right gear suited for taking on cold, wet weather but now I’m in a much hotter climate so most of the time my heavy gear is just impractical.

True. It’s a matter of accepting that they are always right and we are always wrong :rolleyes:

24. Lastic, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

Lastic macrumors 6502a

I found this one also by the same author, which looks to be more to my interest :

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Mac-OS-Programming-Guides/dp/0321706250
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2018 ---
    Day 5

Still taking the 14" iBook on my train commutes, I watched a Youtube video using SMTube and Coreplayer , Better Battery Life, WiFi via my 4G Personal Hotspot on the iPhone 5c. whilst messing around in Vim to check how it handles C code.
    On another workspace TFF-FP5b is open browsing this forum and my email.

Day 5 AM train commute.png
    However when Automatic 2 pulled in the ShowRSS feed to uTorrent , SMTube died, I kept typing in "emacs" but even closing it and reopening it didn't help.

Day 5 AM SMTube dying.png

Even after I closed uTorrent and TFF-FP5b , SMTube refused to search , oh well , arrived at work so time to shutdown the iBook and use my Fedora 26 Thinkpad X220 .

In the evening I attended a farewell drink after work so got home pretty late , did watch BigBangTheory on the train ride using Coreplayer.

Day 6

Powered up the G5 in the morning and looked at some Youtube reviews of Logitech headsets using SMTube/Coreplayer
    and then hit town to purchase a Logitech H600 headset to use with the G5 and at work.

Currently finished installing Total Immersion Racing on the G5 , going to try it with the Xbox and PS3 Controller and have a further look at RetroArch.

And off course Total Immersion Racing needs the CD to work so I bought it at amazon.de for 0,16 EUR :) and a copy of Prey for 2,99 EUR.

I hoped that the Newertech battery for the 14" and the keyboard for the 12" iBook would have arrived today but no luck.

25. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

Happy wife, happy life!

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.