Series 0 Stainless Steel Owners: Upgrade to Series 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJedi, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What would you upgrade from a Series 0 Stainless Steel to?

1. Series 2 Stainless Steel

17.1%
  2. Series 3 Stainless Steel

57.8%
  3. Neither

25.1%
  1. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

Went back and forth on this but ended up getting a sport series 3 w/ LTE to go with my launch day SS series 0. I love the look of the SS for work but looking for something a little lighter for working out. I figured I can go back and forth between them but I still have 14 days to see if I want to keep the sport.

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I was in the same boat. I ended up buying a stainless Series 2 on Craigslist for $250. After I sell the Series 0 it will have been a pretty inexpensive upgrade.

I just couldn't justify spending the full $649+tax for LTE that I'll never use.

3. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Well you can easily buy a sport band (I use a third party one from amazon with my S0 SS), but it would impact the selling price starting from a higher level with the Milanese loop.

I managed to get my S0 SS for about the same price as a standard 42mm sport as they were clearing out product (red) ones for some reason. So if I can get one for about £350-400 I’ll jump. Otherwise I’ll rock this S0 for another year.

4. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Same boat I fell into. My S0 Watch was a stainless steel w/ Milanese Loop, beautiful combo. But wow, did it hit the pocketbook. That Watch was put into my collection and replaced by a Series 2 Nike+ (Sport), with that Watch having been sold the other day to somebody in Montréal and replaced with a Series 3 Sport.

The stainless steel is gorgeous, especially for formal events. But the aluminum can also look good with the right band, not to mention it doesn’t feel like there’s a brick on your wrist when exercising... and you save hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds/whatever. I miss the sapphire crystal display, but the Ion-X has been surprisingly durable. Attached are some photos of my Series 2 after 9 months of usage.

7DF85FC5-CC99-4801-B3BB-901524A47B91.jpeg
    2A668C90-2EC2-448F-932E-5F016FF04E6C.jpeg

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My thoughts are, you eventually will quickly adjust to the weight of the stainless model. It doesn't take long and you almost won't notice it on your wrist if it's strapped properly.

6. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Agree. Seeing how the battery still can't last for more than a day, no reason to upgrade from Series 0 IMO

7. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

I'm going Alu this time. I would prefer SS, but it's just not worth almost double the price. If I was keeping the watch for a long time then I would, but I reckon the watch will end up like the phone and we will upgrade to the latest every couple of years. So S0 SS to S3 SG Alu for me. Lower cost of ownership - my S0 SS is almost worthless now.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

In the same conundrum and thought about it for a few days. Finally went with SS Series 3 (Space Black). I have seen the SS and Alu side to side and the Alu looks very cheap by comparison. I couldn't go back!!! Will hurt my wallet though.

9. AbsynthMinded, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

AbsynthMinded macrumors member

I am moving to S3 Aluminum. Biggest reasons are 1) I wanted a Nike version, I liked one of the exclusive loops and watch faces. 2) It is lighter which makes me feel like I have nothing on my arm.

Resale value doesn't apply to me as I plan to keep my SS S0, but it is a valid argument. Style/looks are is less of a reason since I usually prefer luxury mechanical watches. However, I have found the bands are what makes the watch seem stylish for me, so I now I plan to use the saved money for some bands and I will still have some spare cash.

10. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Was considering a silver aluminum as I never see them in the wild but saw it at the store this weekend and eeeeew it looks like a cheap toy. (no offense to silver owners...not for me :))

Went 42MM SS and glad I did now as almost every single band I mixed and matched in the store looked fantastic with the silver.

11. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

I went from a S0 Sport to S0 SS (when S1 & S2 released)... I just ordered the S3 SS LTE. I will never be able to go back to aluminum. It just felt like a toy on my wrist.

I notice a lot of people saying they don’t need LTE because they always have their phone with them but I wonder to myself is that because historically you had to have your phone with you.

I personally look forward to leaving my phone behind from time to time.

12. Frankfurt macrumors regular

Frankfurt

Agree. I will likely do the same and pair the black link bracelet with the space grey aluminum version watch w/o LTE. That is still about $400. So I may decide to completely skip this upgrade as my S0 is just working fine for day to day use. The depreciation on the SS 0 with link bracelet is horrific. $1,100 to best case $200 in two years.

13. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I've seen this a couple of times. It is not almost twice the price. It is $400 vs $600. That extra $200 gets you a lot in terms of materials and feel. Is it worth it? That depends on the user. I think so. But I completely respect that some may like the lighter feel of the Alu watch or something that is more in line with their budget. I don't see it as a value propositions as much as what fits the individual's needs.

And I have an old iPhone 6 in my drawer that is also "worthless" but still completely usable. Heck, your old watch is just as useful to you now as it was 7 days ago. You're looking at this all wrong. Short of exotic electronics (e.g. McIntosh stereo hardware), these will never be investments. If you want something to strap to your wrist for the lowest possible outlay, then by all means, do so. But if for the next three years you want something that you really LIKE ->the feel, look, weight of it, strapped to your wrist and you actually enjoy putting on each day... than that's a completely different story and you should make a decision accordingly.
    I am not making judgments or casting aspersions either way, do what is financially responsible. But the idea of "value" and personal wear article cost frequently do not align in a way that makes sense on a ledger sheet. And that goodness for that or this would be one dull grey/brown society to live in.

My thoughts, YMMV.

14. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

+1
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    Must say that I am surprised about the depreciation arguments. Don't see buying the SS as a replacement but the best looking (and featured) watch that I could wear. Who knows what I will do with it in 2 years - but will love wearing it for that time.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What I like about the space black Apple Watch, is I don't see a lot of them out in public. I primarily see the sport watch, so it kind of gives the space black Apple Watch more of a exclusivity if you will and makes it look more stand alone.

16. Uplift macrumors 6502

I felt it was time to update my S0 SS, After seeing the Series 3 I decided to go for the Series 2 but was shocked to see how much it was still going for in the UK, I, therefore, felt the extra couple of hundred justified getting the S3 brand new.

17. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

+1 for the Space Black - my AW0 is still pristine after two years. My AW3 will also be SBSS. But, I have to wait for Rogers/Fido to support it (looks like not until the new year) :(

18. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I'm not upgrading, i don't need LTE and i don't want to go swimming in the device so it offers little in terms of tangible benefits over and above what i have at the moment.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Looking to update my Series 0 SS, but I'm torn as to what to do. I really do not need LTE on my watch, so I think that rules the Series 3 out. I don't know if I can justify spending $400ish for a SS Series 2, so I may go with a SG sport. Although the SBSS really look appealing as well. I'll just see where has the best deals. I'm still okay using my Series 0 until I find something.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

$250? And that is the reason I won't be able to upgrade: re-sale value is horrid for Apple Watches.

Mine isn't even 6 months old with AppleCare+. A forum member offered me $275 and I thought he was trying to insult me. Oh well, don't need LTE and don't use it as a music player.

21. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I’m usually the one to always upgrade to the latest and greatest, but I don’t really see the need to go to S3. LTE intrigues me, but it looks like it will be some time until they get the pricing worked out. The way it is right now, most carriers seem to be charging $10, which is way too much IMO for what I will be using it for, but your needs might be different. If I were you, I would save the cash and get a S2. It’s wicked fast compared to previous generations, and you can save some money for what I expect to be a big redesign next year.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I feel the same way, but AT&T has me tempted as they have a Next payment plan available for AW3. SS SB 42mm is $32/month...plus $10/month...

23. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I agree. I was compelled to “upgrade” because I broke the screen on my S0 SS and the repair was uneconomical - Apple wanted $249+tax. I ended up selling the broken S0 for $100 which quite good given the repair costs involved.

24. HeathH macrumors regular

Especially when paired with the black link band. Very rare. Not many of us crazy people out there.

25. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Well, Apple didn't give us a choice initially...so it was "go big or go home" :) Was a little irate when they brought it out with the sport band after the fact. :(