Series 0 Stainless Steel Owners: Upgrade to Series 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJedi, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What would you upgrade from a Series 0 Stainless Steel to?

1. Series 2 Stainless Steel

17.1%
  2. Series 3 Stainless Steel

57.8%
  3. Neither

25.1%
  1. HeathH macrumors regular

True. I forgot about that. Interesting you can’t get that configuration anymore.

2. WLS macrumors 65816

I just did upgrade to a series 2 from a series 0. I did not want to have cellular and the GPS only was not offered in SS so I felt the only sensible choice was to get a Series2 at a big discount. It is still way better than the series 0 and I upgraded to a 42mm. I thought the 38 mm was a good choice at the time but did not know about the problem of finding bands that would fit my wrist.

3. IamDave macrumors regular

IamDave

I toyed with upgrading. Have a SS 0 which I bought in February last year (originally had a SG Sport oh release day) which is still in good condition with some slight scratches on the SS which I polish out every now and again. The main reason I considered upgrading is speed as I’m starting to get a little impatient waiting for apps to load on the watch sometimes. Maps for example can take an age to find my location or load a search by which time I could have got my iPhone out (and quite often end up doing anyway). I think I might stick with my SS 0 for now though as I don’t fancy paying that amount out again just yet for watch. When I do upgrade eventually though I won’t be going for LTE if it’s a separate option as my iPhone is always with me anyway. Might also be a sport once again due to cost.

4. Frankfurt macrumors regular

Frankfurt

I own a SBSS S0 with link bracelet, a $1,100 purchase at the time (now worth $200).
    I went back and forth on a replacement between getting another SBSS or the SG Alum version.
    Finally I went to the store and fitted a SG Alum LTE on my SS link bracelet and it looked great. The matte finish actually provides a nice accent to the band rather than being tone in tone.

I ordered a SG Alum LTE after that experience to be worn with the SBSS link bracelet.
    The savings of about $240 pays for 2 years of LTE or the next generation AirPods when the come out.

In the event the Alum version does not hold up well within the 2 years I probably return back to SS with the next upgrade. Time will tell.

5. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Gone from S0 SBSS with link bracelet to S3 SBSS and put the link bracelet onto it.

The speed of this thing compared to the S0 is night and day!

Not using the LTE, my provider doesn't support it yet, but I'm rarely without any phone so it's irrelevant.

Siri finding her voice is lovely too.

6. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

@Frankfurt , @Pug72 - hear you lads. @ launch, the 42mm SBSS S0 with AC+ was about $1600 Canadian (and our dollar jumps up to par with the US every so often. (so, yes, the "apple tax" burns my ass) ;)

My home carrier in Canada (Fido, a Rogers subsidiary) doesn't yet support the Series 3, so I'm holding off. If they drag their feet too long, I'll likely wait for the S4. Slays me that we're waiting, as Rogers was the original GSM carrier in country...no excuse for not having this functionality at launch.

7. comptr macrumors 65816

I owned the S0 SS Milleanse loop Watch but I sold it for a S3 SS Watch.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Especially coming from the first generation Apple Watch, I would say speed is the biggest difference in how fast the watch loads, updates and overall is much more fluid when in comparison.

9. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

I'm upgrading my S0 SS to a Silver Nike+ S3 because I don't want an SS AW anymore. That said, you'll see a very significant speed increase if you choose either the S2 or the S3. It's definitely frustrating for those who want an SS S3 because of Apple's ridiculous sales tactics. Obviously the S3 is faster than the S2 but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you too much, you're still getting GPS and swim proofing with the S2.

10. haruhiko, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If you upgrade now, of course it's the Series 3, given that the S3 is 70% faster than the S2. However, my choice is out of the selections you have given. I chose the aluminium version this time since I realised that I will replace it in 2 years anyway. It isn't worth it to spend 2x the money just for the casing. Just my two cents.

(When I bought the SS with Link Bracelet first-gen. watch I thought it could last longer.)

11. technole macrumors newbie

technole

Not sure how one can go Aluminum after having SS, it's quite a downgrade in quality. Not to mention every SS model has LTE so there is that as well.

12. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

I have a stainless steel S0 with a broken screen. It has been broken for over a year now. I'm wondering if I can replace the S0 internals (and screen) with S2 sport internals (and screen...)

Moving to aluminium isn't really an option for me. Too "tinny" (heh)

13. WLS macrumors 65816

It would depend on your skill level. check out ifixit and their tutorial on disassembly of apple watches. I think it would be more trouble than it is worth.

14. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Pretty sure the S2 was also a smidge thicker. (and electronic components aren't the most forgiving when you shoehorn them into a smaller space than they were designed for) :(

You should see if you can get a few bucks for the broken S0 (as is) - unless you find a repair place that would fix the screen for cheap. See what your model's going for on swappa and make the call. Then just buy yourself a used S2 (or wait to see if there's any used S3's that show up in the next few months) :)

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yeah this is my same thought, at that time I was also more excited about the apple watch than I am now, hell I spent a ton of money on it since I bought it aftermarket because of the stock issues they had. I still love this device and if I had 1500$ to spend on one I'd get the Hermes or the Edition in a heartbeat, but I don't.

And leaving aside the whole Aluminum vs. SS fight, Apple kind of screwed over my chances on the SS model anyway because they don't offer it and probably won't offer it for a while in my country. Also, its lack of roaming is ridiculous, I spend 2-3 months a year on a different continent.

So maybe it's ok if I pay 350$ for GPS only series 3 until apple figures it's whole LTE situation out.

16. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

Eh, will just keep rocking the S0. The screen crack... I dunno, I kind of like it. Character.

17. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Actually just ordered a 38mm Space Grey Series 3 with the Grey Band, maybe it's kind of an impulsive decision but I guess I won't regret buying the cheapest version. Most of my friends, actually I am the single person I know that owns the Stainless Steel one and they're as happy as I am or even happier. I hope it arrives this week! :D

18. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

• Personal taste changed.
    • Stainless much heavier.
    • Aluminium even more resilient than silver stainless.
    • Not liking the additional cost when upgrading on a yearly basis.
    • Trying something new.
    Lots of easy explanations and while it's an actual downgrade only for the sapphire screen, that one may not play a major role in 1-2 years use. Besides, the "cheap" Ion-X glass is pretty tough, too ...

19. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't think the repairability on iFixit was very good. The Only thing I would try repairing without professional assistance, would be replacing the battery.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Picked up an ‘excellent condition’ open box S2 SBSS 42 from BB for $349 today.. Looks brand new!

Forgoing the S3 now..

21. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

You may not have seen my earlier post,but I broke the screen on my SS S0. You will sell it easily on CL for around $100. You can then pick up a used S2 for $250 or so. It’s a nice bump up vs spending $249+tax for Apple to switch it out for a S0.

22. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I have a launch day Series 0 SS and I just upgraded to the SS Series 3 (arrived last Tuesday)....I'm glad I did it - it's fast and I can start using my watch for more than just the time and current weather. I can't speak to speed of series 2 but it was worth the upgrade to me :)

The speed and battery life alone made it worth it for me

Cheers,
    B

23. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I have a S0 Stainless and am really torn on this. On one hand, I think the SS looks so much nicer and more premium than the Aluminum, and also has more weight to it like a real watch. However, the value on these things has dropped like a rock, and it's hard to justify the extra cash on something that becomes worthless in a couple years' time. My S0 doesn't even last a full day anymore, and on the resale market is only worth maybe $175. If the form factor changes in the next year or two, I have a feeling the value of any prior one (no matter which material) will drop even more dramatically.

24. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

It's lighter. And at the rate Apple is making Watch improvements, yearly upgrades are easier to justify.

25. technole macrumors newbie

technole

The weight is barely noticeable. Like working out with a SS vs aluminum isn't going to change things.

Plus the S3 performance is so darn good that I figure it'll last more generations over the S0 at this current state.