Series 0 Stainless Steel Owners: Upgrade to Series 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJedi, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What would you upgrade from a Series 0 Stainless Steel to?

1. Series 2 Stainless Steel

17.4%
  2. Series 3 Stainless Steel

57.9%
  3. Neither

24.7%
  1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

What’s with everyone and resale value ? Last I checked this wasn’t a futures and speculation forum. :)

I mean if the resale value of 3 yr old technology shocks you, please don’t look up the values on off lease German luxury cars,... but then again something tells me that won’t stop the lot of you from buying these up. :)

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The purchase to second hand sale price ratio on expensive apple watches is way crappier than on any other apple product and I guess nobody expected that. I'm keeping my series 0 however, I consider first gen devices collection items and that's why when it came out I was so eager to get a nicer one in the first place.

3. WLS macrumors 65816

Good choice They have the Black version as open box for $395 They are also on ebay with the same offer. Prices aren't dropping as much as I thought but you get a low price guarantee so why not.

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

C’mon...

Nobody REALLY Knew ? ;)

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I think the weight is noticeable at first between the aluminum and stainless model, but you do adjust to the point where you don't notice it as much when wearing it more often.

As far as the performance is concerned, I don't see the Apple Watch first generation being included in the next watchOS 5 update. WatchOS 4 I think is maxing out its capabilities as far as performance is concerned.

6. HeathH macrumors regular

Probably right, seems when they start not adding in all the capabilities to the older model the end is near for updates. I do think it is impressive how much they update older iphone models though.

7. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I agree, seeing the vast performance differences in everything after Series 0, I think watchOS 4.x will be the end of the line for it. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a 4.2 in the Spring with the final round of fixes/optimizations, then into the sunset.

8. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I've just upgraded by getting a second hand series 2 on eBay. The biggies for me over my series 0 stainless steel are the built in GPS and the full waterproof. Both of which I get with the series 2. Performance isn't a biggie for me on the watch as I rarely interact for more than a few seconds with the watch interface, 90% of the time its just to launch workout, skip a track, launch Apple Pay etc, never had any issues with these tasks on my series 0 so not going to have any complaints on the series 2. There was really nothing to justify the cost of getting a new series 3 over a second hand 2 (wouldn't go for the cellular option, I have no use for that).
    Saved literally hundreds by doing this it does everything I need, also went from the 38mm (big regret) to the 42mm and wow what a difference that makes. Very happy with my decision so far!

9. xraytech macrumors 68030

Ignorance is bliss

Even though Series 0 is all I know, it feels like its getting slower and slower every OS update. I am avoiding going to the Apple Store to check out the Series 3 cuz I know I'm going to want to get the snappier interface.

10. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Be prepared with your wallet... it really is night and day...
    Only thing so far I’ve been disappointed with was the box when I opened it, not sure if series 2 didn’t have the same box but one half of my 0 box is used daily as my watch stand...

11. xraytech macrumors 68030

Son of a Bitch...

Yeah, the Box for my Series 0 Stainless Steal was a nice premium to have.

12. Pstein15 macrumors newbie

My wife selected the more expensive Hermes, the double cuff, series 2, for our 50th anniversary.
    I’m old, but a pure techie.

You have no color selection in the initial purchase. The nice colors must be purchased separately as a second band. Advise getting the least expensive Hermes, and then later separately ordering the color you like.

13. OBirder macrumors regular

S3 black Stainless Steel. Have historically spent every few years money on watches. I only care for good shoes and watches. My S0 lasted almost 2.5 years and I foresee the same with the S3.
    Will keep the S0 and wear at night for sleep tracking while the S3 is charging. That way I get approx. 4 to 5 years out of the watch. Good enough for me ...

14. HeathH macrumors regular

I think I have made and cancelled about 3 orders for the S3 SBSS. I just can't decide. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of LTE or it would be a done deal. My S0 SBSS still works great (slow of course, but I am used to it), and looks brand new.

15. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

From SS S0 to Sport S3. SS has horrible resale value and I wanted LTE. So space gray sport was perfect for me.

16. xraytech macrumors 68030

I don't understand why a used SS is valued less than a used AL. It breaks my brain when I think about it.

17. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I get this completely. Apple have made it very hard given the price differential between a bog standard sport and a S3SS. I really hope for v4 and above they reconsider and bring a non-LTE SS back in, although I'm not holding my breath as the sport is far more popular.

18. HeathH macrumors regular

My wife and mother both have the S0 aluminum versions. I just know that I wouldn't be happy with that model at all, I really appreciate the SSSB model, feels and looks premium.

When it comes down to dropping another $700 for the SSSB S3, I look at what I have I don't really get functionally anything that much better than what I have already (since I can't activate LTE). Siri speaking, GPS and speed increase are all great, but in the end I can't really "do" anything differently with it.

19. Frankfurt macrumors regular

Frankfurt

Ended up getting a series 3 LTE in Space Grey Aluminium and paired it with the link bracelet of my SBSS S0.
    Looks great! LTE is a revelation especially when paired with AirPods: taking calls, dictating text messages, listening to music. Phone stays home for periods each day.

Attached Files:

20. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it’s pretty horrible. I’m glad I got it. Enjoyed it for two good years. However, if I’m even remotely going to continue swapping watches every iteration or two, it’s definitely in my best interest to go sport. Half the price. Same trade in value. Crazy.

21. HeathH macrumors regular

I hate you!:)

22. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

In reality, both Apple Watch models really don't hold value because it's technology related. It comes down to condition ultimately and when somebody chooses to actually sell their watch, pending when the new model launches over the current one.

23. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

SS Silver Series 0 to SS Silver Series 3. I originally ordered the Space Black but when I went into the store I thought it was hard to tell the difference between that and the SG Alum whereas the Silver shone out out a mile. Cancelled my pre-order and ordered a new one which of course pushes back the waiting time!!!