Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I never heard about any of this. I have one of the very first T-style connectors on my 2006 MB Pro which I'm still using and looking at right now. It has done a lot of traveling too. If someone buys a new car and crashes it into a concrete wall, do they get a new car now? Geez!

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
what about the L style adaptors as we have same problem with the L style adaptors went through like 10 of the T Style then one day I went in and gave us the L style but have still gone through at least 7 of the L style so they aint any better then the T style.

This is an obvious case of user error. What the heck do you do to those cords? Do you use them as chew toys for hungry dogs?

I have two T shaped cords, one from an original black macbook (06) and another from a first gen unibody MBP (08) and neither have issues.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Or he works for a company that has Mac users.

We have 10+ mac laptops at our office. My magsafe has never frayed, but my home one did. I showed it to one of the IT guys before I took it to the Apple store and he said "Yeah, we've had a few of those, and it's just the Apple laptops that do that. None of the Dell laptop cables have failed like that. Just the power supplies."

So I don't think he's lying, or exaggerating. If he works for a company that's got Mac users, it's completely possible.

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
HOW THE **** do you go through at least 17 ****ing cables, then have the gall to blame it on Apple? I mean, do you think that just MAYBE, you're doing something absolutely ridiculous to the cable? In 4 years of owning macbooks and both types of cables, with daily usage, I haven't frayed one. As for the L style, I don't see how its possible to even fray, let alone 7 TIMES. So I'm actually curious to what you're doing to the cable, because you're probably the only human being on the planet that has gone through that many. That, or you're just flat out lying.

nope just have one downstairs that use when on the couch and another in my office that goes behind desk.... They stay plugged in 24/7.... no animals no nothing and I know several people who have gone through several so maybe its just a Vegas thing................

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
i've had a MacBook since 2007 that adaptor is like brand new, I bought a MacBook pro in late '09 still no issue on that, only bought the new L shaped adaptor for the pro cos I thought it matched it better, using the old one as a spare. Have an old 2001 iBook will the original adaptor too and its like new no fraying or anything. hopefully when I upgrade again early next year to a 15'' pro i'll see how it goes on that, but my current L shaped one has been fine as have the others. People must have just been rough with them:) its not like i've babied my adaptors either my macbook was used round school, my macbook pro daily round college and my pro still being daily used round University

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
So you leave your power cables plugged in 'all the time' and they fray like that? Are they just desintegrated right before your eyes?

Swedishbacon

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Sweden
My "T-style" magsafe broke, but at the other end of the cable. The tech-guy at my school said that I should have been more careful and told me to buy a new one. No problems with "L-style" but I'm completly paranoid it will break there to.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I know several people who have gone through several so maybe its just a Vegas thing................

HAH! This is incredible. Yes, because where you live decides whether or not a cord gets mangled. I live in Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay- does that mean I am going to have water damage to 17 iPhones?

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Apple is not responsible for your dog or cat chewing on the cable or someone obsessively plugging and unplugging it over and over again.

I haven't had any problems with the strain relief connections as we are really careful with our chargers, but our cats have done some damage. I've had to replace my wife's charger already and mine shows some damage as well. Why does Apple make these cables so tasty to cats?

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Wonder if Apple outside US will respect its customers and give them some money?
Somehow Apple always treat customers outside US like crap.

1) I had a 15 inch powerbook with white spots on the screen. Apple had a replacement program. Was not honored to me since I lived outside US.
2) Graphics cards Mac Pro ATI 2900
3) Graphics card/motherboard failure in Macbook pro with Nvidia graphics (bump gate)

and so on...

I have bought at least 4 power bricks. Lets see if Apple gives me a cent.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
As an IT guy, this isn't just an Apple issue. It's across the board for mobile users. Power connectors are strained more than any other cord used. The bends, bending, re-bending, plugging in, unplugging and careless ripping them out, being tripped over and the like - will cause this issue over time.

Again, it happens to pretty much ALL power adapter cords. Some more than others. The ones more prone to fraying quicker - have THINNER power cords such as Apple's and Dell's early laptop models and some newer models. Most manufacturers have beefed up their power cords to help alleviate this issue. It still exists and will always exist.

It's just the nature of the mobile computing beast. Users that understand it and are aware, will take an extra step to be easier on the cords and more careful with position. That alone should eliminate the issue altogether if not reduce it by a large margin.

Those who have the issue consistently, need to stop being abusive to the cords and treating them like garbage because that's the only thing that causes continuous, excessive failure.

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
My cable did disintegrate right before my eyes. I had the laptop about ten months when it failed. It looked fine, I plugged it in, I felt the plastic sheath crack beneath my fingers, looked down, and there were these beautiful wires!

I don't put stress on my cable, in fact my MBA is usually plugged in in the same spot, without tension on the cord or in a way that requires the cable to bend. I rarely bring the power adapter with me, as the MBA has more than enough battery life to get me through a normal day, so it didn't spend much time wrapped up in my bag. It frayed about 1 inch below the Magsafe connector.

I love Apple products, but when I look at the thickness of my MBA cable compared to all of the other adapters I have, it is significantly thinner than any of them. None of my other ones have frayed, and because their battery life sucks, those cables spent alot of time being packed and unpacked into a bag. That kind of thinness comes with a cost, in this case an increased risk of fraying. It is why extension cords are so thick. Decreasing size means increasing risks. I for one would prefer my power supply weighed a few grams more and took up a few more cubic centimeters but greatly decreased the risk that my power supply is going to fray, spark, and burn me or my house.

And remember, using something isn't abusing something. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a laptop power supply to withstand years of being wrapped up and thrown into a bag, since this is exactly what they are meant to do.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
5 years and my T type still running strong. I wonder how many had the problem? Or was it specific to a year?:rolleyes:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I don't like the L style MagSafe connector. I've nearly pulled my computer off the table because of the cord angle.
I've seen many computers at my schools IT room that have fallen. Because the way it disconnects, it odd, so it pulls it off the table. The T style would flex, and sadly disconnect. This one spins the computer around, and either takes it off the table, or disconnects at the last minute.

Plus, even with the SMC update, some of these L adapters STILL don't work right with the pre unibody MacBooks.

Also, some people drop their machines, and due to the L design, its tail is safe, and simply breaks the MagSafe board, and sometimes the screw posts in the computer.

With the T style, it lands on the tail, and that forces it to safely break off with out harming the MagSafe port, or board.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
nope just have one downstairs that use when on the couch and another in my office that goes behind desk.... They stay plugged in 24/7.... no animals no nothing and I know several people who have gone through several so maybe its just a Vegas thing................

Heat / dryness due to constant A/C is most likely the culprit.

I've done almost 1000 battery cycles and haven't had any problems with mine (but Stockholm / Frankfurt don't have A/C in most places.)

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Too bad it's still an issue with the iPhone iPod and everything else that uses the 31 Pin connection

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Mine, from late 2008, started to fray at the brick 8 months ago. I treat it well and give it slack when wrapping.

When it started to fray, I took it to an Apple store and the "genius" basically said (in a condescending and a bit rude tone of voice) it was my fault and he couldn't replace it. Even though I have Apple Care.

I guess now I can go back, find the same guy, and make him eat his words.

swissglide

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
Burlington, VT
It's what shipped with early MacBook Airs. The MacBook Air was the first to use the "L" style because the "T" style wouldn't have fit with the tapered profile of the machine. Once the "T" style problems became evident, they tweaked the "L" style from the MacBook Air and rolled it out across all notebook models.

It also came as a part of the original 24-inch LED Cinema Display.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So does this mean I can go to the store and they will replace it? Even if no fraying currently exists?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.