Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A limited but increasing number of iPhone X owners have encountered a green line appearing on the smartphone's display.

[​IMG]
    Photo via Twitter user mix0mat0sis?

At least 25 customers have shared photos of the potential hardware defect across the Apple Support Communities, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and the MacRumors forums since the iPhone X launched a week ago. Of course, in a production run of millions of iPhone X units, it is a small percentage of devices affected so far.

"So I was playing with my new phone and all of a sudden, this happened," said one MacRumors forum member with the alias tmiles81. "It's a really bright line going down the entire right side of the phone."

[​IMG]
    Photos via Twitter users MACinCLE and Nate Heagy?

The green line wasn't visible on any of the affected iPhone X units when they were first taken out of the box, but rather developed spontaneously after some period of usage in normal conditions. The devices involved also don't appear to have been dropped or damaged in any way.

"Day one and a bright green line has appeared down the right side of the iPhone X," said Apple Support Communities user benvolio1979.

Many of the user reports claim that restarting or even fully restoring the device doesn't remove the green line, which typically runs vertically along the right or left side of the display, but can show up elsewhere on the screen.

[​IMG]
    Photos via MacRumors forum member irusli9?

The issue doesn't appear to be limited to specific iPhone X models or locations. We've seen reports from owners of both 64GB and 256GB configurations in Silver or Space Gray in the United States, Canada, Poland, and Australia at a minimum. If you are affected, share a photo in the comments section below.

MacRumors hasn't been able to reproduce the issue. Apple declined to comment in an emailed response from a spokesperson.

Apple has been replacing affected iPhone X units free of charge, according to customers who contacted the company. Apple also appears to be collecting data from the incidents so that its engineers can investigate the matter, as it routinely does with any potential hardware or software issues.

[​IMG]
    Photo via Apple Support Communities user tomek80

The green line could be an isolated defect with the iPhone X's OLED display. Samsung's Galaxy S7 also uses OLED and suffered from a similar issue last year in which a pink line appeared on some displays. Samsung acknowledged the issue as hardware failure and worked to replace affected devices.

If you experience this problem, we recommend booking a Genius Bar appointment or contacting Apple's support team via phone, email, or online chat. Apple is generally helpful in these situations.

Update: TechCrunch notes that the iPhone X display has a new diamond subpixel pattern and, as such, all green sub-pixels appear in lines. The report speculates that there could be an electrical fault in some of the devices that is causing voltage to flow to all of the green sub-pixels.

[​IMG]
    iPhone X display's diamond subpixel pattern (DisplayMate via TechCrunch)

Article Link: Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Looks like a problem with the display controller circuitry.

3. rishic89 macrumors newbie

rishic89

Interesting. Luckily Apples customer service is excellent! I wouldn't mind having a green line on my X in about 8 months so I can get a brand new device

4. Jsameds Suspended

"Hardware defect"

So this is Samsung's fault, right? ;) :D

5. kalanni macrumors newbie

Well at least Apple is one of the best in the business for customer service

6. japanime, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Pair that green line with the red dot on the digital crown of your Apple Watch, and you've got yourself a nifty Christmas display. :D

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

8. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't have a green line. I feel left out. :D
    Is this tied to a particular model\radio version? CDMA vs GSM?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No problem on mine. But I do have the pink line on my Samsung.

10. fumi2014 macrumors member

11. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Good on you MacRumors for bringing some attention to this. As an Apple shareholder I'm very worried about this, but hopefully it's something they can nail down quickly and hopefully the impacted units already out the doors will be minimal.

12. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

This is disappointing. It’s expected that there will be issues with something thats mass produced and especially when done for the first time, but I still feel bad for the customers who have to deal with it. Green lines, unresponsive screens, cracking speakers, scuffed bands tone issues...thankfully my unit doesn’t (knock on wood) have any of those faults.

13. sirozha macrumors 6502

What's wrong with the green line? It looks very cute!

14. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Apple should have known better than to buy Samsung displays.

15. ahnafm macrumors newbie

16. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Hasn’t impacted me (yet). Hopefully it won’t ever.

17. whiteboytrash macrumors 6502

Most likely LG who supply the displays.

18. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

19. Sangoma macrumors member

Owners should embrace the green line. Just like the notch.

20. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'd just like to thank all you beta testers out there ;)

21. cardfan macrumors 65816

It's the green line indicator is all. If you're happy with a line at the bottom of each app, why would this bother you? Just keep looking at the phone. It has no bezels! A killer notch. That's why you bought it right?

22. johnnygee macrumors regular

johnnygee

23. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

24. Razeus macrumors 603

The reason I'm willing to pay a little more for iPhones, despite Samsung's claims having features first, is that I get the Apple store included in that price. Walk in, walk out with a device the same day.

25. harkan13 macrumors member

harkan13

They are samsung OLED displays aren't they?