Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Right. And you work at Apple?

So by not signing a “blank check to smasung” you’re stating that is video June for iPhone X sales can surpass 92 million units for OKED screens - which is a LOT even by Apple’s sales, that a contract in 2018 cannot or will not go to LG? LG has almost completed a new OLED manufacturing plant which is to be dedicated to Apple’s contract (supposedly) daccordinn to facts featured inMacrumors articles here.

What’s Stopping Apple with going to LG to make the iPhone X screens? Nothing by your supposed facts. Right now yes Samsung makes their OLED panels explicity - which is what I stated in my last post. I posted an article after researching as you’ve suggested. I also rated here is nothing stopping Apple from going to LG; and nothin. You’ve stated not anyone else has thus far either suggest Apple will not and cannot.

There is nothing dumb nor stupid understanding a supplier hange to a juggernaut with Apple.

You seem to like to insult those that trunk being basics, even if they agree to the facts. Go ahead and enjoy yourself doing that. I guess that’s your job as a hater in life. Wow I didn’t have the facts, I researched and posted yet also entertained the POSSIBILITY of another supplier and for that you insult me? You need a life man seriously.

2. iamtheonlyone4ever Suspended

iamtheonlyone4ever

it is me or the phone today look as big as tablets, lol, my first iPhone was an iPhone 4s, right now I have an iPhone 5s still running strong, is good for what I need it, phone calls, text messages, read emails, for everything else I use my 5,000 dollar hackintosh tower. but I understand some people like phones the same way I like my extreme computer parts.

3. Sevendaymelee macrumors 6502

Sevendaymelee

No, it this were Samsung's fault, the whole damn phone would catch fire and explode in their hands.

4. samir4021 macrumors newbie

samir4021

Did they replace it for you?

5. saile, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

saile macrumors member

it seems like Apple doesn't control the OLED Technology yet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    galaxy note 5 galaxy note 3

6. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It’s gonna happen to thousands. If this is a defect that requires something to come loose, like the previous LCD display thing they had going - it might take some time for the lines to appear on thousands more devices.

Quote this post for posterity - there absolutely will be a recall / replacement program (since Apple never titles them “recalls”, a brilliant marketing strategy)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Do you know statistics at all? “A few phones” is easily HUNDREDS of phones across all online forums. That equates to thousands because many people will just take it back and have it swapped and no big deal, they don’t go online for attention or to whine.

Soooo depending on what is CAUSING the lines, if it’s hardwsre based it may eventually happen across them all and these are just the first ones that were easier to fail. This is definitely a problem...

7. raghu8912 macrumors regular

There is a difference though, Note 7 was a safety risk it could burn some ones home or bring down a flight, green line on a display is not safety risk. Green line is just ugly looking.
    Occurrence & Risk will be evaluated before deciding how to deal with a quality issue.

8. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

9. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Ahhhh, so now we know that Apple Watch LTE and iPhone X are being built by Santa's Elves at his workshop in the North Pole. :p
    But you think they would have discovered the non responsive touch screen in colder weather before they left the workshop!! Unless.....I think the elves want to make everyone think about who the hard workers are that build the iPhone X's and how cold it is where they work. :p

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Two day old X. TrueDepth camera failed earlier today, disabling Face ID. Made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow.

Bright pink (not green) line appears on the left side of the display just now, progressing rapidly into several pink and green lines. Display starts flickering and changing to a yellowish color, then becomes entirely green. Display has completely failed now with just a single green pixel illuminating when I click the power button.

Annoying. Hopefully they will have replacement devices in stock.

11. Davesdeviceis8770 macrumors member

have pics?

12. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Yep. Just as I’ve thought...it’s an entire bad batch. Just like the battery of the 6S’s. They (Apple) must be FREAKING out hoping that this is limited to just a few hundred thousand devices.

13. Fpb1980 macrumors member

Did any one get the green line after they started wireless charging? I just got a wireless charger and don't want to use it if it will cause the issue.

14. cmaier macrumors G4

Well no green line on mine which arrive a day and a half ago.

15. Puddled macrumors 6502a

Puddled

Really?

If wireless charging causes display failures i would have mine on a pad 24/7 to soak test to make sure my device was sound.

If you genuinely feel this way you should return the phone.

16. cmaier macrumors G4

Had mine sitting on a wireless charger (cheap one from anker) all day yesterday. No issues.

17. lilbukka macrumors newbie

lilbukka

I had the green line appear. but when I did factory restore and powered back up again. the green line was gone. I got my iPhone X yesterday. I'm taking it to Apple on Monday.

18. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

This has just happened on mine, 20 days after it was working perfectly. Today I was shooting a longer video, and then when I went to play it back half an hour later, I noticed the line at the right side of the screen.

5 days past the return period, so I guess it's gonna be refurbished phone for me when they replace it... Scarier still is how well it worked for all these days, and that it just happened after a longer time. Phone hasn't suffered a single drop or even a stronger shake or anything. I can't stress enough how much I was babying it.

19. meddow macrumors member

meddow

Apple said to me mine was not a warranty issue and have asked for £500 to fix it.

As you would expect I am not amused, when a phone is 4 weeks old.

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Call Apple. You went into store right? They never treat me right in there. I've had to call them to get things done like 99% of the time.

21. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Call them or go on an online chat support. I went to chat, explained the issue, send him the photos to show what it looks like, and he said they’ll replace it - there wasn’t even a hint of resistance.

Funny thing is, today the line has almost disappeared even though was blindingly strong yesterday. Now it’s only really visible on darker/gray backgrounds.

22. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

My dad’s phone got affected last night. Order date: October 22, 2017
    Shipment date: November 22, 2017

We live in Hong Kong. My phone is fine so far, and I received my phone earlier than his by 2 weeks.

Attached Files:

23. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

But seem to be the worst at introducing new hardware without any problems.