Several iPhone X Owners Encountering Green Line on Display Due to Potential Hardware Defect

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. falainber macrumors 6502a

falainber

The displays are different but the pixel arrangements are obviously identical (diamond arrangement to be exact as opposed to, say, RGB arrangement)

2. Tijdelijk macrumors regular

If I want to unlock my phone it's because I want to interact with the phone (look at it and use it).

So unlocking the phone while not looking at it (you're Touch ID story) is not one of my scenarios. For me Face ID is perfect.

3. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

17 Pages of comments on a few phones with defects. I love it.

4. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

LOL..My 300 dollars Android phone says otherwise. Good quality and very fast operation

5. Delgibbons, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Yes. Well done Apple. Perfect displays. :D

And GREAT touch responsiveness in the cold too! ;)

green-line-of-death.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2017 ---
    Yes....but the ribbon connector to the screen is ALL APPLE baby.

What causes the line issue? ;) it's not the screen. It's the electrical connection TO the screen causing this issue ;)

6. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

No we didn't make 100 million; what's your point?, Is it if you have to make 100 million, like Apple, then your quality control can become piss poor?
    Nothing, it would be released 28 days later, jeez..,

7. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

Have you just spent all of Saturday night geeking over displays because you want to prove a point, when all you had to do was email DisplayMate and ask them to correct their findings, because you know better?

Samsung’s ‘higher’ peak luminance is literally only a small portion of the screen at any one time! Apple’s is the entire screen - hence why it looks uniformly brighter than any Samsung Display. As usual, Samsung is aiming for higher specs with no real benefit to you, the end user. They’re making headline grabbing panels, so users like you have some hope that you’re finally catching up with Apple.

Apple have proven this time and again when benchmarks show iPhones outperform higher spec’d Samsungs Every Year - bar NONE.

But by all means, you keep on believing if it gets you through the night.

8. boccabella macrumors regular

If Motorola had released a phone with a notch in the display they would have been mercilessly mocked on this forum, just as they were by Gruber et al. with the Moto 280.

9. LogiLink macrumors member

LogiLink

Well, we all are not sure if the photos appearing on the web are not pictures of phones that were some dropptests.
    Till now, a small fraction of broken OLED displays mean nothing to the quantity of produced phones.

10. sigma7 macrumors regular

sigma7

Keynote: And we called it: "Green line gate"! It's amazing! o_O
    Ive: "First we started with a green line. Then we made it 25% thinner". :eek:

11. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

It means Apple shipped broken displays

12. LogiLink macrumors member

LogiLink

Yes, but in a very small percentage of manufactured devices.
    But these are just speculations. We are not sure what happened.

13. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

If you have a broken display, in what world is that speculation?

14. LogiLink macrumors member

LogiLink

I would give the device for a replacement.

Once again, "These are just speculations. We are not sure what happened".

15. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

the only reason you can give to back to Apple is because it's faulty; there's no speculation.
    the only reason you can give to back to Apple is because it's faulty; there's no speculation.

16. LogiLink macrumors member

LogiLink

If you do not know what happened and you have no clear proof of what was the reason, well that's still speculation :)

17. Lilok macrumors member

I have nothing against the x, but I dont think it will have that much value, especially if it has a defect.
    Imagine, you even get the very first iphone for about ~200 - 250 Dollar maximum, if slightly defected...
    And they DONT have oled burn-ins
    after a few years.
    Also, the first iphone really is an iconic, gamechanging device, while the x isn't. Its just an anniversery device, rushed out in a hurry, in my opinion.

It will be worth something, but sure not as much as the very first.
    Also, if apple keeps going that route it is going now, I think that the competition is destroying it in any aspect by then... Its sad, but i think its happening :/

18. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

Because this happens all the time in technology. I got hard drives in the past that were defective a week after use. I got a GTX 970 that was defective.

19. cmaier macrumors G4

The size and shape of the sub pixels are completely different.

20. kdarling, Nov 12, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Not "at all" ? :)

I respect your opinion on many things, but come on. They're both diamond pentile.

Again, "completely different"? :)

The relative sizes and shapes of the blue and red subpixels are virtually the same.

Over time, the green pixel shape has slightly changed from oval to diamond to rounded rectangle.

diamond.png

DisplayMate said:

"This Diamond Sub-Pixel layout is used on many OLED displays."

They also said that the big difference was the calibration:

"First we need to congratulate Samsung Display for developing and manufacturing the outstanding OLED display hardware in the iPhone X.

"But what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration that Apple developed that transforms the OLED hardware into a superbly accurate, high performance, and gorgeous display!!"

21. falainber macrumors 6502a

falainber

The size and shape of sub pixels were never analysed before in the context of arrangement why start now? Besides DM did a very poor job here. Firstly they posted a very misleading images of the sub pixels (as demonstrated by kdarling). Secondly they claimed that this explains higher average brightness. Really? It may sound plausible but it's a BS. Somehow "smaller" sub pixels in Samsung phones manage to deliver much higher local brightness (according to DM). I am not an expert on displays but I am pretty sure that there is more to pixel performance than size and shape.

22. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I rang DisplayMate ...they said they're throwing out their analysis & testing methods in favour of your submittal ...just as soon as they receive it from you. Because apparently, you don't need to be "an expert" to know better. ;)

23. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Not really.
    He thinks he's discovered something to invest in so don't spoil it for him. Everyone can sell him their defective iPhones instead of returning them.

Unless someone happens to have a rare iPhone personally owned by Steve Jobs or something, it's worth no more than any other 10 year old smartphone, which is probably near zero.

24. Lilok macrumors member

I agree. Even IF apple doesn't lose value as a brand in the next 10 years, you will never ever get the same or even more than you paid for it. Its just not rare nor special...

25. joueboy, Nov 12, 2017

joueboy macrumors 65816

This is an easy software fix update. Apple will just turn off the pixel line on that corner and you don’t even know it didn’t exist. Just don’t complain that you lose a hair of space on that side because it’s not really a big deal.
    You don’t really get a new one, you get a refurbished one that’s almost good as new. Unless you live in Netherlands which against the law, their customer get a real sealed brand new iPhone as a replacement.