Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tijdelijk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
I’m interested in how people unequivocally say Face ID is easier. With Touch ID I can pull my phone from by pocket and it can be unlocked and at home screen without me even looking at it, and without me pressing a button or doing a gesture. Quick draw I win every time. Sure there are rare instances when it may not work (wet fingers and gloves); but I can do it from any orientation and with my choice of (multiple) fingers, and I’ve since read Face ID might have issues with wet faces? And of course with some sunglasses and such, plus limited angle and orientation. And since we’re forced to swipe up to open, gloves will be an issue there too. I’ve tried it and I prefer Touch ID for my use case.
It’s fine if you love it, but I get annoyed when fans suddenly proclaim anything other than the newest tech is all of a sudden Stone Age and inferior.

If I want to unlock my phone it's because I want to interact with the phone (look at it and use it).

So unlocking the phone while not looking at it (you're Touch ID story) is not one of my scenarios. For me Face ID is perfect.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
I find it interesting that Apple, in its new display, uses the most advanced and much more skillful kind of Diamond Pentile subpixling than used in the Galaxy series. Exclusively for Apple from Panasonic!

View attachment 734710

The display is therefore very crisp, sharp and colourfast and no longer with discontinuous contours like previous OLED displays. Apple has waited long enough to provide perfect displays in OLED technology.

Teckies continue here:
https://www.oled-info.com/pentile

And there:
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

Well done, Apple!

Yes. Well done Apple. Perfect displays. :D

And GREAT touch responsiveness in the cold too! ;)

green-line-of-death.jpg

[doublepost=1510481925][/doublepost]
Most definitely!
[doublepost=1510462735][/doublepost]
I keep telling apple haters that!

Yes....but the ribbon connector to the screen is ALL APPLE baby.

What causes the line issue? ;) it's not the screen. It's the electrical connection TO the screen causing this issue ;)

Last edited:

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
So did you make 100 million of those gaming machines? Any idea what it would add to the cost of an iPhone to add 28 days to its manufacturing time?
No we didn't make 100 million; what's your point?, Is it if you have to make 100 million, like Apple, then your quality control can become piss poor?
[doublepost=1510482985][/doublepost]
So did you make 100 million of those gaming machines? Any idea what it would add to the cost of an iPhone to add 28 days to its manufacturing time?
Nothing, it would be released 28 days later, jeez..,

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
And also quoting from Displaymate, "Another very noticeable and major improvement for the Galaxy Note8 is the display is 22% Brighter than the Galaxy S8, with a Peak Display Brightness of over 1,200 nits, a new Record for Smartphones, which provides significantly improved display performance and screen readability in challenging indoor and outdoor high ambient light viewing conditions."

So they say this new layout on the X display gets it a "much higher" peak luminance, but it's only half that of the Note 8?
Have you just spent all of Saturday night geeking over displays because you want to prove a point, when all you had to do was email DisplayMate and ask them to correct their findings, because you know better?

Samsung’s ‘higher’ peak luminance is literally only a small portion of the screen at any one time! Apple’s is the entire screen - hence why it looks uniformly brighter than any Samsung Display. As usual, Samsung is aiming for higher specs with no real benefit to you, the end user. They’re making headline grabbing panels, so users like you have some hope that you’re finally catching up with Apple.

Apple have proven this time and again when benchmarks show iPhones outperform higher spec’d Samsungs Every Year - bar NONE.

But by all means, you keep on believing if it gets you through the night.

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
Well, we all are not sure if the photos appearing on the web are not pictures of phones that were some dropptests.
Till now, a small fraction of broken OLED displays mean nothing to the quantity of produced phones.

sigma7

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Brazil
Keynote: And we called it: "Green line gate"! It's amazing! o_O
Ive: "First we started with a green line. Then we made it 25% thinner". :eek:

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Well, we all are not sure if the photos appearing on the web are not pictures of phones that were some dropptests.
Till now, a small fraction of broken OLED displays mean nothing to the quantity of produced phones.
It means Apple shipped broken displays

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
the only reason you can give to back to Apple is because it's faulty; there's no speculation.
[doublepost=1510495768][/doublepost]
I would give the device for a replacement.

Once again, "These are just speculations. We are not sure what happened".
the only reason you can give to back to Apple is because it's faulty; there's no speculation.

Lilok

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2017
Austria
Those that use the "beta" thing as an excuse for not getting theirs until next year/generation/or whenever have missed the point of getting the Anniversary Edition - If mine develops an issue, I might just box it up, put it away and go back to my ip6s - can you imagine the value in another 10 years?

I have nothing against the x, but I dont think it will have that much value, especially if it has a defect.
Imagine, you even get the very first iphone for about ~200 - 250 Dollar maximum, if slightly defected...
And they DONT have oled burn-ins
after a few years.
Also, the first iphone really is an iconic, gamechanging device, while the x isn't. Its just an anniversery device, rushed out in a hurry, in my opinion.

It will be worth something, but sure not as much as the very first.
Also, if apple keeps going that route it is going now, I think that the competition is destroying it in any aspect by then... Its sad, but i think its happening :/

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Why is everyone giving Apple a pass on this with the argument "well, gee if you make millions of anything some are gonna be bad" How about Apple improves quality control and catches these defective products in the factory?

Because this happens all the time in technology. I got hard drives in the past that were defective a week after use. I got a GTX 970 that was defective.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As his picture shows, though, it’s not at all the same.

Not "at all" ? :)

I respect your opinion on many things, but come on. They're both diamond pentile.

The size and shape of the sub pixels are completely different.

Again, "completely different"? :)

The relative sizes and shapes of the blue and red subpixels are virtually the same.

Over time, the green pixel shape has slightly changed from oval to diamond to rounded rectangle.

diamond.png

Tell DisplayMate they got it wrong, not me.

DisplayMate said:

"This Diamond Sub-Pixel layout is used on many OLED displays."

They also said that the big difference was the calibration:

"First we need to congratulate Samsung Display for developing and manufacturing the outstanding OLED display hardware in the iPhone X.

"But what makes the iPhone X the Best Smartphone Display is the impressive Precision Display Calibration that Apple developed that transforms the OLED hardware into a superbly accurate, high performance, and gorgeous display!!"

Last edited:

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
The size and shape of sub pixels were never analysed before in the context of arrangement why start now? Besides DM did a very poor job here. Firstly they posted a very misleading images of the sub pixels (as demonstrated by kdarling). Secondly they claimed that this explains higher average brightness. Really? It may sound plausible but it's a BS. Somehow "smaller" sub pixels in Samsung phones manage to deliver much higher local brightness (according to DM). I am not an expert on displays but I am pretty sure that there is more to pixel performance than size and shape.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
...I am not an expert on displays but I am pretty sure that there is more to pixel performance than size and shape.
I rang DisplayMate ...they said they're throwing out their analysis & testing methods in favour of your submittal ...just as soon as they receive it from you. Because apparently, you don't need to be "an expert" to know better. ;)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Not really.
I have nothing against the x, but I dont think it will have that much value, especially if it has a defect.
Imagine, you even get the very first iphone for about ~200 - 250 Dollar maximum, if slightly defected...
And they DONT have oled burn-ins
after a few years.
Also, the first iphone really is an iconic, gamechanging device, while the x isn't. Its just an anniversery device, rushed out in a hurry, in my opinion.

It will be worth something, but sure not as much as the very first.
Also, if apple keeps going that route it is going now, I think that the competition is destroying it in any aspect by then... Its sad, but i think its happening :/
He thinks he's discovered something to invest in so don't spoil it for him. Everyone can sell him their defective iPhones instead of returning them.

Unless someone happens to have a rare iPhone personally owned by Steve Jobs or something, it's worth no more than any other 10 year old smartphone, which is probably near zero.

Lilok

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2017
Austria
Unless someone happens to have a rare iPhone personally owned by Steve Jobs or something, it's worth no more than any other 10 year old smartphone, which is probably near zero.

I agree. Even IF apple doesn't lose value as a brand in the next 10 years, you will never ever get the same or even more than you paid for it. Its just not rare nor special...

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
This is an easy software fix update. Apple will just turn off the pixel line on that corner and you don’t even know it didn’t exist. Just don’t complain that you lose a hair of space on that side because it’s not really a big deal.
[doublepost=1510529233][/doublepost]
Interesting. Luckily Apples customer service is excellent! I wouldn't mind having a green line on my X in about 8 months so I can get a brand new device
You don’t really get a new one, you get a refurbished one that’s almost good as new. Unless you live in Netherlands which against the law, their customer get a real sealed brand new iPhone as a replacement.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.