Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
same crap every time a new product is coming out by Apple. Shortages. its just a came Apple plays to hype up their products.

Reactions: George Dawes

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Hate to be that guy but how does a 800 billion dollar company with more capital than most countries have trouble ramping their bread and butter product?

Yes yes it's a big endavour to scale a device as popular as the iPhone but Apple has had a lot of time to work on this. The 7 was basically 6ss I thought because this phone was taking priority.

How does waiting 1 or 2 months for a new phone (if you aren't that eager) affect your life?

Or if you really want it anyway, iPhone Update Program, bro.
[doublepost=1494394065][/doublepost]
Tell us whether or not the device will have the fingerprint sensor in the display. That's pretty much all we care about at this point, we know it's going to be limited and hard to get, it always is. These reports are literally reiterating the same things over and over lol.

They won't because...

SPOILER ALERT

they don't know. And it's getting closer to the release date.

Reactions: applelover1016

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
1: Based on present rumors, not everyone can afford/will want to spend the rumored price of version "8" or "X".
2: Based on present rumors, not everyone will like the size factor of version "8" or "X".
3: Based on previous interviews (link): Apple CEO: Don’t Fear Cannibalization, Embrace It
Quote:“I see cannibalization as a huge opportunity for us,” Cook said..."

1) that's not my point at all. Apple will want the iPhone 8 to stand on its own. I still believe it WILL NOT go on sale the same day as the 7s/7s+.

2) the size factor is so not the issue. The "8" will be FEATURE driven over size. If size was the issue then they'd make it in two sizes.

3. I'm glad you quote Cook here except reality is that it can't legitimately be compared to this seasons releases. C'mon. I should qualify my comment by saying I meant "attention" cannibalization .

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And the website will crash when it opens for pre-order... Say no more.

It won't crash as this has been rectified from years past experiences. However, the servers are incredibly slow from past experiences and I have been timed out before when placing orders in the past. So hopefully they continue to improve those concerns with their servers.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I pre-ordered once and waited 3 months... Never again. Last time I walked in to a Best Buy 2 weeks after launch and found what I wanted.

That is my experience with the last 4 preorders. I was able to purchase faster each time from the apple retail store while my preorder was weeks to months away. Online preorder user to be the fastest and best experience, now it's the slowest and worst experience in my opinion.

While apple has our preorders they are happy for us to wait while they supply 3rd party stores. My take on it , would be , supply your fans first.
[doublepost=1494394914][/doublepost]
Samsung - "we've run out of time and we've got to launch on time and in sufficient quantity to meet customer demand... customers are going to be pissed but put the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone".

Apple - "hold my beer".

Well that explains the iPhone 7 :)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Apple will want the iPhone 8 to stand on its own. I still believe it WILL NOT go on sale the same day as the 7s/7s+.
As long as you know it's 'your" belief.
History is against you.
As others have stated Apple has release multiple models in the past: 5c, 5S; 6, 6+
2) the size factor is so not the issue. The "8" will be FEATURE driven over size. If size was the issue then they'd make it in two sizes.
Are you kidding?
Since the 2 size introduction there has always been a feature difference in favor of the larger size.
And there have always been complaints about it with comments like:
  • "Why can't Apple put those same features for the larger version in the smaller versions."
And others complaints not about features:
  • "I don't want a TV in my pocket"
  • "Can't easily use the larger size with one hand"
  • "I wear skinny jeans, won't fit in my pocket"
Don't know where you've been but these are common comments about size in MR.
Otherwise, whats your hypothesis for them releasing the SE?
3. I'm glad you quote Cook here except reality is that it can't legitimately be compared to this seasons releases. C'mon. I should qualify my comment by saying I meant "attention" cannibalization .
The only reality here is that you're making your own reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I know we see these reports every year, BUT -- we seem to be seeing an awful lot of these reports this year, in increasing frequency.
Readers are wising up to this perennial clickbait, so websites need to amp up the drama to keep those clicks coming.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Same rumours every year.
In fact it is quite difficult to get an iPhone in September, and even at the beginning of October, but it is not a big deal.
I never pre order online, I just wait a few of days after launch date, then go to the nearest AS and get my iPhone after queueing for 15/20 minutes.
If this year I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks ore more it won't be a problem. It is just a phone after all

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
Reasons cited why Iphone may be delayed

: (1) whether the 3D sensor of OLED iPhone provides an innovative user experience; (2) whether OLED iPhone cancels Touch ID (fingerprint recognition); and (3) whether Apple's competitors launch more innovative products which could compete with OLED iPhone in 4Q17-2Q18.

Ok, number two, I get it. They are having trouble with getting it under the screen. I dont think I would mind.......that much..... if it was on the back of the phone. I for sure would prefer the back then no touch id and have facial recognition. I currently can unlock my phone while pulling it from my pocket, so by the time im looking at it its unlocked. Number 1 and 3????? How those affect production I have no idea. Sales, yes, but weather a competitor comes out with a competing phone has zero affect on Apples ability to produce theirs. Ming is usually spot on with his predictions, not too compelling of a explanation for this one.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
same crap every time a new product is coming out by Apple. Shortages. its just a came Apple plays to hype up their products.

Its "business-as-usual"

besides there is no way Apple can be on track with anything, since the u more they try, the more will buy :D

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Touch I.D, facial recognition, iris scanning?

Hmm, interesting times. Could this be Apple's opportunity to make another really bold leap forward and distinguish itself from the competition?

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
The main question is: if they remove the home button, what will they do in order to simulate the "home button"?

They already did that with the iPhone 7. The home 'button' isnt a button its just glass with a circle around it. And uses haptic feedback to simulate a button feel. This can easily be replaced with a virtual Circular icon with the same haptic feedback it currently has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oscar_440

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
They already did that with the iPhone 7. The home 'button' isnt a button its just glass with a circle around it. And uses haptic feedback to simulate a button feel. This can easily be replaced with a virtual Circular icon with the same haptic feedback it currently has.

...why not a "touch edge" scan your finger from somewhere sensible on the edge, the mysterious back circle is for wireless charging, everyone (including Jony "no distractions" Ive) is happy, one trillion bucks here we come!

...we can but hope

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I really hope that Apple is just messing with us and at the keynote after the unveil where Tim demonstrates the Touch ID under the glass he says "did you really think we would put it on the back?"

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Apple, take your time, embed Touch ID under the screen and release it before Christmas and I'll be happy (as others would be as well, I'm sure).
The problem is Apple has a hard cut-off point; if Touch ID under the screen isn't working as desired and further development would mean missing the holiday season then it gets moved or removed and that feature gets bumped to 2018's iPhone. Having a new iPhone for sale at Christmas is way more important to Apple than having a cool new feature that everyone wants. Besides it gives people a reason to upgrade from 2017's iPhone to 2018's.
[doublepost=1494409606][/doublepost]
Apple has had 10 years to prepare for the 10th Anniversary Phone.
No excuse for delays.
Apart from the fact that this "10th Anniversary Phone" concept was made up entirely by rumors and fan's hopeful wish-fulfillment. Apple has never acknowledged such an anniversary iPhone. Not once. Not ever. Yes there will be iPhones and there will now be a new top tier model but ascribing anything else to it is just fan-fiction.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Hate to be that guy but how does a 800 billion dollar company with more capital than most countries have trouble ramping their bread and butter product?

Yes yes it's a big endavour to scale a device as popular as the iPhone but Apple has had a lot of time to work on this. The 7 was basically 6ss I thought because this phone was taking priority.
It doesn't matter how much money you have, you still take risks. And risks mean things can go wrong. I don't see this as Apple not being willing to spend enough money or Apple being incompetent but rather as Apple taking a gamble (or rather multiple gambles) and things coming down the side of Apple not being lucky this time.

You can argue that Apple should not have taken the gamble (eg, TouchID below the display) on such an important product as the lost revenue by delaying shipments is enormous. But the upside in additional revenue can also be enormous.
[doublepost=1494411107][/doublepost]
Apple has had 10 years to prepare for the 10th Anniversary Phone.
No excuse for delays.
You know how non-sensical this is? Apple didn't have 10 years to prepare production for a phone with this specific feature set. The rough feature set was decided at most two years in advance. And for all we know, the iPhone 7s is right on track, Apple could just call it the 10th Anniversary Phone if all it cared about was shutting down people like you. Would that make you happy.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009

Because making 100 million of something is hard. Apple is pretty much buying up the year's output of whole parts factories to make these. In the meantime they are tweaking designs and testing reliability while they start making parts and iPhones. While other companies have "cooler" phones, those companies don't really make the FLAGSHIP models in the quantities or availability that Apple does. It does feel like Apple is moving too chaoticly at times and the wheels are about to come off. But they "just barely" make it to release every year so far.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
You know how non-sensical this is? Apple didn't have 10 years to prepare production for a phone with this specific feature set. The rough feature set was decided at most two years in advance. And for all we know, the iPhone 7s is right on track, Apple could just call it the 10th Anniversary Phone if all it cared about was shutting down people like you. Would that make you happy.
100% agree. Any iPhone that comes out in the 10th anniversary period is a "10th anniversary" iPhone. The recent spec-bumped iPhone SE, that came out in the 10th anniversary period, the upcoming 7s/7s Plus they'll come out in the 10th anniversary period; are these not 10th anniversary iPhones? Apple can't release four iPhones (SE, 7s, 7s Plus & iPhone 8/anniversary, X, whatever) in 2017 and only call 1/4 of their line-up an "anniversary iPhone".

The only way an "anniversary iPhone" makes sense is if Apple only released an iPhone 8 in 2017.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As I stated in the other thread a few weeks back - MacRumors could literally clone articles of pre-launch predictions about supply for every iPhone.

Reactions: George Dawes

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
U need a upgrade trust me if u had the 6s then no I suggest u get the 8 or 7s
Why?
go on, explain why and in simple terms?
Could it be possible that their use case does not need a huge display? Perhaps there is some other reason? Perhaps they have tried a 7/7+ and found that there was not a compelling reason to upgrade?
Just saying upgrade without knowing the use case of the person you are suggesting it to does no one any favours.
[doublepost=1494415254][/doublepost]
No confusion.

There is only one item on the table I was addressing: is $1000 a lot of money to spend every year on a phone.
To some, $1000 is just chump change, they have enough income not to think about it.

$1000?
That's 70% of my current monthly income (pension).
Not to say that I'm broke or living in poverty but one has to be careful with the pennies. Us 'Baby boomers' might be cash poor but asset rich so we need to consider purchases like a $1000 phone very carefully.

Perspective and context please.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
This could be a pivotal year for Apple. They seem to be struggling to innovate, while also maintaining supply, for their flagship device, the iPhone. Meanwhile, Amazon is further pushing into a space that Apple has zero presence in, and cutting into video calling. This could be a big deal...
So yoi're saying it could be that Apple is doomed? Again? I dunno man!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Yes, but the point being that he earned this reputation by having a relatively accurate track record, compared to other analysts. Therefore if you're going to look for rumors, you'd probably want the rumor that is most likely to be accurate/real, which has been his for several years now.

Some are. Some are not. A lot is based on ripping off other rumour sites and repackaging it as though he came up with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.