Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which colour of iPhone did you choose?

• Black/Space Grey

Votes: 355 60.9%
  • White/Silver

Votes: 111 19.0%
  • White/Gold

Votes: 117 20.1%

• Total voters

NeilSpoon

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I've always gone Black, but do think the 5s looks much better in white. Very classy with the silver edges and button ring.

In fact, with iOS 7, the white looks much better. Hence I ordered a white one for the first time.

KlTTY

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Space Gray would have been PERFECT if it was the actual color of the iPad Air Space Gray. The iPhone 6 is too light.

I notice these things Apple.

Apple is just making them lighter and lighter to "fix" the chipping problem they had with the black iPhone 5.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I went with black/space grey, as always. Went white with the 4s, it seemed to fit that model better than black (imo), but since they went back to 2 colors like the original iphone, black just feels like the way to go.

Remember when black used to be a premium color at Apple?? Lol yeah those were the days

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Ordered space gray, returned it for silver/white. Had a black 3 and 4, but went with a white 5. Thought I'd go back to black, but really liked the white in the store. I guess I was just used to my 5 and thouoght the gray looked kinda boring. it also shows smudges more on the back and also on the bezel when sleeping.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just hate how the display looks when it's idle on the white models (big black rectangle on white glass). The Space Gray just looks sleek to me.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I was never a fan of the white when it first came out. But I ended up getting a white 5 because I liked the cleaner look of it. It reminded me more of the iMac and notebooks with the silver. Also the black became slate then space grey which really wasn't all black. And it was nice to have a change. I went for the white again on my iPad Mini Retina. And so it was a no brainer to get it again this time around. Maybe in a couple years I'll switch again for a change. But I don't personally care for the look of the gold. Too yellow. But I also have a white gold wedding band, not gold. That's just my taste.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I went with Silver & White, even though initially it seemed like the last color I would choose (not that I disliked it or anything). I originally preordered Space Gray from AT&T, but SG in the 128GB capacity are exceedingly rare, it seems. After a long wait with no end in sight, I decided to cancel and get one from an Apple Store. They had both the silver and gold models, and while I was very impressed with how my wife's gold 6 looked, I decided that it might be a bit much for me. I also have a white iPad mini, so this would match. I think it looks very cool with Apple's white silicone case.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Initially got stuck with the last 6+ Gold... returned it and wanted the Space Grey... apparently SG is the hardest color to find in NY... got the Silver and with iOS7 and iOS8, it does look nice with the white bezel...

el.caudillo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Pre-ordered gold (only choice due to a late pre-order). It grew on me but I still found it a bit too feminine for my tastes. Ended up exchanging for silver.

First iPhone was a white 3GS (loved the contrast of black bezel and white back in that particular design). Had a black 4 and 4S, black and slate 5. Never had a 5S but found the black and space gray much less attractive personally.

In terms of pure looks and aesthetics and design I personally still feel the black and slate 5 is the pinnacle of the iPhone series. It looked so monolithic.

I feel the space gray of the 5S detracted from that monolithic look.

None of the 6 or 6+ devices quite have that particular monolithic aesthetic to them imho, however, the way that the glass curves to meet the aluminum unibody is absolutely beautiful and sleek in a different way.

Again, I feel as though the space gray detracts from that sleekness, as the huge contrast from the quite light space gray color of the unibody to the pure black face of the phone is jarring and destroys the way the design attempts to appear as one continuous seamless whole.

Meanwhile the bright silver is much more successful in seamlessly blending into the white face of the device.

In seems nearly unanimous this time around that the space gray is the best looking design for the 6/6+ and that really does surprise me.

After seeing them in person it was a no brainer for me.

And I'm thrilled with the phone, haven't found the white bezel distracting at all so far. Definitely acclimating to it quickly. I now think it may be preferable to the black bezel in daylight at least. And the whole design of iOS 7 and 8 almost seems to be designed around a white bezel. Indeed I have been pondering white since the launch of iOS 7.

Very happy with my choice, and I definitely feel the silver is the most attractive option this time around.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
6+ gold 128GB
Why? All others were sold out :D!
Using a black Apple leather case and/or a black flip case, hence color doesn't matter that much to me...

nicnoc66

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Had a SG but changed to gold for a change.
Like the way that in different lighting the gold takes on a different shade. Antenna lines I can ignore and they've grown on me anyway.
Phones either in a transparent or red silicon case

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Space Gray...it isn't as sleek as the "Slate" iPhone 5 but I just can't see myself using a white or gold iPhone. Too feminine IMO. I had the chance to get a Gold 6+ earlier but am glad I waited a little longer to get the color I really wanted.

Last edited:

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Gold. Space Gray is a terrible update to the black/slate version of the iPhone 5. I remember all the complains about it scratching and needing a touch up pen, but still I would pick that over anything.

That leaves Silver and Gold, now if I'm stuck with a white bezel I'm atleast getting the flashy one that says I have a new iPhone.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
not convinced about white bezels.

shame Apple doesnt offer gold with black bezel for example....

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I bought the White/Silver iPhone 6. My wife bought the Gold and if she hadn't I probably would have bought that one. In all truth though I like both as much but Gold would have been a bit different to my previous white/silver iPhone 5.

There is no best colour choice, its all subjective but I really like the look of white on an iPhone. :)

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I'll always buy the black fronted iPhones simply because they look better. They look better turned off, they don't have the black edge around the screen when your using it that makes the screen seem smaller where the screen meets the bezels and I prefer my phones to have a more subtle look to them.

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I preordered a Space Gray, and when it arrived I just couldn't get on board with it. I'm coming from a white 5, so I'm used to the face and its cleaner, more stylish look. Gave the Space Gray a week to get used to it, but swapped it for a gold in the end.

For the record, the silver overall is the best looking IMO, but I went with gold for the gold ring around the home button, and the back will be covered by a case anyway.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Space grey. When the screen is off, I like the bezel to blend with the screen.

That's true, but when the screen is on I like the way iOS 8 looks on my white iPhone.
I had a black iPhone 4 and up to iOS 6 I was happy with that color, but since iOS 7 I prefer the white models.

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
Space Gray my last 2 models were white/silver 5 and 5S figured it was time to switch it up....added a black apple leather case :cool:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Got the Space Grey.

Had a black/slate iPhone 5 but it scuffed easily, so I went with white/silver on the 5s. Space Grey doesn't seem as easy to scratch up or as obvious when it is, so I decided to give it a shot this time around.

Gold looks just a little bit too gaudy for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.