SIM Free iPhone 6s now available

Ternary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
I was just browsing the Apple online store when I noticed that SIM free is now an option.
SIMfree6s.png
The SIM free model is A1633 for 6s and A1634 for 6s Plus.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Yes, since it's the AT&T model.
I wonder when they're going to start showing up in retail stores. My T-Mobile 6s+ has some issues with the screen (noticeable ones, not some parts being .0001% darker) and wanted to swap with an AT&T for band 30 since I have them. I haven't seen a single one in stock all week :/

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Neither was I! Last time it took a couple months for the SIM-free version.
I think this is one of many signs of the weakening power of the U.S. wireless carriers over a major product launch. Lock-in is on its way out!

SIM-free is the way to go.

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I wonder when they're going to start showing up in retail stores.
The Apple Online Store is only offering the option for in-store pickup for Alaska and Hawaii. The rest of us can only order online for home delivery in late October for now.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
The Apple Online Store is only offering the option for in-store pickup for Alaska and Hawaii. The rest of us can only order online for home delivery in late October for now.
It's only showing alaska and hawaii because those are the only open stores right now since reservations are made on a daily basis. There's no option to select sim free as the carrier on those though. I'm curious to know when it may show up.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
It's only showing alaska and hawaii because those are the only open stores right now since reservations are made on a daily basis. There's no option to select sim free as the carrier on those though. I'm curious to know when it may show up.
We'll have to find out tomorrow and see if they do show up in store. I just placed an order on mine but if it allows reservation tomorrow then I'll cancel this one and place a reservation and pick one up.

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Thanks! Wasn't aware you could only make a same day reservation, if that's what you mean.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I wonder how lenient Apple is on their return policy. If I can't reserve a phone tomorrow, I'm going to be out of my return window.

Thanks! Wasn't aware you could only make a same day reservation, if that's what you mean.
Yeah, they open the gates at 8:00am (local store time), and you can reserve a phone and go in and buy it. They usually get another shipment at around noon-2:00pm so definitely check back later if you don't get it at 8:00am.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
I wonder how lenient Apple is on their return policy. If I can't reserve a phone tomorrow, I'm going to be out of my return window.

Yeah, they open the gates at 8:00am (local store time), and you can reserve a phone and go in and buy it. They usually get another shipment at around noon-2:00pm so definitely check back later if you don't get it at 8:00am.
Not sure how Apple will be lenient if you return the phone outside of the return window but I've heard some cases where Apple did accept a return even after the return window was closed. You may give it a shot. Luckily I still have my 6 Plus that I can use temporarily until the sim-free model ships to me or if I can get it reserved.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Yes, since it's the AT&T model.
So what's the difference between paying full price for the AT&T phone now (which from what people say is unlocked if you pay full) and buying the sim free phone that is AT&T? I'm trying to figure out what to buy.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
So what's the difference between paying full price for the AT&T phone now (which from what people say is unlocked if you pay full) and buying the sim free phone that is AT&T? I'm trying to figure out what to buy.
Absolutely nothing.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
A few people have reported having issues getting Verizon to activate an AT&T model. The SIM free model is white listed for both Verizon and Sprint, so supposedly that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Broadus

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
A few people have reported having issues getting Verizon to activate an AT&T model. The SIM free model is white listed for both Verizon and Sprint, so supposedly that shouldn't be a problem.
Can't you just get Verizon to activate a sim and pop it in? Doesn't really effect me since I'm on AT&T but just curious.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
So it looks like it is available in stores today as well as I checked you can actually reserve the sim-free models as well and most stores has them in stock already. Since I'm in central, I'll have to wait an hour.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I was just able to reserve 2 128GB 6S SIM free iPhones. Good to see Apple has the reserve option open. It's a 2 week wait time to ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.