Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I'm not surprised. Like I said to friends who want to buy this thing. Just keep in mind 2 things.
1: The HomePod by itself or in stereo mode sounds beautiful. Specially with the OG one or 2nd gen. Even the mini sounds great.
2: The Software with Siri is a POS. Absolute POS!!! You will love being frustrated if you have several at home. "This is taking too long" "There is a problem with Apple Music" "I didnt' get that" or it just plays whatever instead of what you asked. One or two HomePods will not play when you ask it to play everywhere, all speakers, every room. Just randomly stops with a speaker and then plays again. What an absolute POS software. Sounds wonderful though...when it works.

• Love
Reactions: Huck and decypher44

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Yes... Sadly, it's a tradition here going back 20 years. It's the only way some people can feel good inside.
Oh ya, we were all feeling terrible about ourselves until this Siri SNAFU appeared. 😄

Sometimes Siri/my watch forgets who "my wife" is one request to the next.
You aren’t the only one. At first I thought I was going to have to start using some flowery Californian, “Siri can you please call my life partner on their iPhone.” But I realized it’s just bad programming.

It works perfectly, if you set your HomePod to speak Gibberish, as I do myself too
Mine is set to Jive.

bgarnett

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Perth, Australia
Last night, I was trying to get Siri on HomePod mini to play the Techno playlist in Apple Music, it just couldn’t get it right. Though I should know by now it rarely does.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
what a joke LOL.

I will say that over the past couple of weeks after restarting me 3 HomePods, Siri and the functionality seem much better.

I won’t get my hopes up, but asking for the time, to play a certain song etc have been working well.

it just blows my mind how Apple in all its ability has so much trouble with HomePod and Siri.

Reactions: decypher44

VCTGomes

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2022
On HomePodOS 17.3 I could say: "turn on AC", and HomePod would know exactly what AC I'm talking about based where it's installed.

Since HomePod 17.4, this incredible feature stop working and I need to say "Turn off AC" and it'll ask me which room.

That's terrible and I don't see many talking about it.

I updated one of these, but I won't update another HomePod yet.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
The HomeKit is full of software holes. Simple things like the icon to turn on lights disappears from the app and then comes back. Interesting thing lately, Siri doing better than the App for most operations in controlling home devices. A really annoying set of Apple miss steps.

Reactions: rchornef

sgreen314

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
I've run into this several times in the past day or so. Good to see the article and understand it wasn't just me. "can you tell me the time?" gives me mixed results right now: I either get the time or 'results on iPhone', answers are skewing to the latter but occasionally I get the former.

edit: A quick repeating test of "What's the time" is giving me mixed results as well. Seemingly random mix of the actual time and 'results on iPhone'. 🤷‍♂️

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just today:

Me: “Siri, add apple cinnamon oatmeal to the shopping list”

Siri: “I’ve added apples, cinnamon, and oatmeal to your shopping list”

Me: “Siri, turn on the living room corner light”

Siri: “You don’t have any lights setup in the Home app.”

Me: “Siri, add chopped, actually no, cancel that request”

Siri: “Ok, I’ve added that to your library.”

I don’t know what she did there on that last one.

Siri is basically unusable nowadays. I find myself using her less and less.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
I just got home, checked to see if it works now, and it works.

Had a friend check it too, and his works now as well. His was affected.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
This is a recurring theme. On CarPlay I ask Siri to "Pause the music" verbatim and it says "Sorry I don't understand!" 😕

XMI

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2023
Los Angeles, California, USA
"Siri, add milk to my grocery list"

incoming- copy.jpeg

This started happening for me about 3 weeks ago.

Amazingly, it only happens about 50% of the time, and only happens on my Apple watch (not on my iPhone or iPad).

Sigh.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
I’m very happy for you that Siri worked when it most counted. Unfortunately that is not always the case for lesser things, but I’m glad she saved your home.
Not sure though that this is a reliable way to put out kitchen fires.

HailstormX

Contributor
Nov 21, 2012
Thought it was just me... was going crazy today on that. I worked around it by asking what time it was in my city.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I'm not surprised. Like I said to friends who want to buy this thing. Just keep in mind 2 things.
1: The HomePod by itself or in stereo mode sounds beautiful. Specially with the OG one or 2nd gen. Even the mini sounds great.
2: The Software with Siri is a POS. Absolute POS!!! You will love being frustrated if you have several at home. "This is taking too long" "There is a problem with Apple Music" "I didnt' get that" or it just plays whatever instead of what you asked. One or two HomePods will not play when you ask it to play everywhere, all speakers, every room. Just randomly stops with a speaker and then plays again. What an absolute POS software. Sounds wonderful though...when it works.
honestly there was an update a few months back and nearly all my homepod problems along those lines vanished

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Siri is awful, it’s basically the metric by which I judge Apple software quality. The unwillingness of that company to fix things they cannot possibly be unaware of if comedic. And this is how Tim drives things. Siri isn’t a subscription based item, so it gets little attention. I wouldn’t discount them lumping Siri pro into iCloud or something because their drive is one of complacency for a while now in this realm.
I agree. It's incomprehensible how crap Siri still is

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I turned on an alarm with Siri, then asked it to do something, can't remember what, with the alarm. What I can remember is it sounded nothing at all like delete my alarm but yet that is just what Siri decided I wanted to do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.