Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I probably use Siri on my first generation Home Pod a dozen or more times each day and it usually works. It's generally good at setting timers and alarms, it can find places to eat and shop and knows whether a store is open or not. It can find information (bios, ages, etc.) on famous people. It knows a lot about movies (but not TV). It offers weather forecasts and can give information on cities and geography. And, it can play music, although its matching to artists and song titles can sometimes be embarrassingly bad (like playing a song that is nothing near to what you asked for, by name or other characteristic). I also listen to podcasts on the Home Pod and it usually (but not always) does a good job of matching my request to the podcast that I want.

There may be a few other abilities that I've missed or seldom use and unfortunately if you try to go much beyond any of the above Siri will generally reply with the dreaded, "I found some web results, I can show them if you ask again from your iPhone."

However, for the last several months it has been having problems telling time. It often exchanges PM and AM, saying that it is 2:34AM when it is actually PM. It also has problems saying the time, so instead of 2:00 PM it might say two hundred PM. Quite frankly, I can't see how such a simple bug has gone months without a fix and I'm somewhat at a loss as to how something like this could even be coded (in error).

So, yes. Siri is kind of a disappointment but it can still be useful. But, to be fair I've tried other home appliances over the years, like Google Home -- but not recently, and in direct comparisons on a range of questions Siri tends to offer just as good of answers although sometimes somewhat worse or better and I could find no clear winner between Siri and Google. But, that was more than two years ago so maybe Google has gotten much better while Siri has stayed largely the same (or in some cases gotten worse).

All the above said, I see much, much worse behavior from my T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway. The service is often unusably slow (measured in kilobits rather than megabits) and I have to restart the Gateway probably at least once per week. T-Mobile has no explanation or solution and I've already had the Gateway replaced so it's not a one-off issue (the Gateways seem to have bugs and the service is vastly overloaded).

HERE IS AN UPDATE:
I just tried using my Google Home Mini for the first time in years (required a reset and new setup) and I did a comparison to the quality of answers it provides against my Home Pod. The results were basically the same, both provided similar answers to a range of questions with Siri being a little more verbose or detailed in several cases. However, I did find at least one question where Google provided an answer while the Home Pod could not. But, that was one item out of MANY that I tried and even Google couldn't answer all of my questions and on the few occasions where the Home Pod failed so did Google (and vice versa).

However, it looks like both services now have a lot of information on TV programs which is something I hadn't tried on the Home Pod for a year or more, thus it looks like the Home Pod has added TV info to its fairly extensive movie Q&A.

In any case, it looks like both services rely heavily on Wikipedia and I'm sure that both Apple and Google are paying for that access.

Lastly, I think that some of the problems I've been having with the time of day as spoken by the Home Pod were perhaps caused by my use of an English language voice with an Indian accent. I won't know for a week or more whether my switch to an American English voice will fix those problems but I noticed that when I changed voices the time (after sunset) was spoken without the "PM" but it did include "AM" when after midnight. I think that's a change from when I was using the Indian accent voice since that always included the "PM" or "AM." Plus, it looks like the Indian accent voice handles the speaking of numbers differently than the American voice, so maybe the accent type determine things like number separators and formats and its possible that some bugs only exist in certain accents (voices).

Last edited:

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Oh ya, we were all feeling terrible about ourselves until this Siri SNAFU appeared. 😄

You aren’t the only one. At first I thought I was going to have to start using some flowery Californian, “Siri can you please call my life partner on their iPhone.” But I realized it’s just bad programming.

Mine is set to Jive.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It did break for me yesterday, but then my HomePods also completely lost their internet connection. Restarting them has fixed both issues, and all three of the mentioned phrases work for me.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Siri's decline had been gradual over several years, then all of a sudden in a few months. In past weeks, Siri has been unable to answer virtually any question, referring nearly any request to search results.

incoming-57CE8D7F-110F-4B7E-BE38-F2F08DD34871.PNG

It used to be able to answer this easily with Wolfram Alpha. It even presented the full written equation on how to achieve the calculation.

I actually feel that this is a good sign. They're disconnecting Siri from services it depended on to answer questions and diverting resources away from maintaining the old Siri, likely in anticipation of a full reboot at WWDC.

I'm optimistic because I've also caught glimpses of "intelligence", things that Siri was never able to do and is incapable of with the previous pre-programmed model. I recently renamed my home office to "Studio" and out of habit I'm still sometimes saying "turn the lights on in the office", and Siri corrected me the other day: "Did you mean the studio?". This is the kind of correction I'd expect from chatGPT, not Siri.

I just hope that they don't make us wait until September and make an LLM Siri live once it's announced.

incoming-945E6E17-BE99-4C8C-823B-E2707B2193B9.PNG

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: freedomlinux

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I finally broke down and bought an Echo. It fixed all my automation problems with the HomePod and HomeKit. Now I just use the HomePod to play AppleMusic. That‘s about all it’s good for these days, IMO.

Reactions: burgman

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Yesterday, I asked Siri in the car to take me to a chain store. She suggested one 90 minutes away, while the one 10 minutes away was the third option. Nice.

Then I asked her until what time the store was open and she referred me to the web. And when I asked her to call the store, she said there were no driving directions available.

One day she will kill me. Literally.

jonparadise

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2005
London, UK
I haven’t had any issues with normal Siri functions, like HomeKit, alarms, time, etc, but its ability to do things like answer questions and find out information is much, much worse than it used to be. Every answer seems to be ‘I‘ve found these web results’, etc.

I‘m getting the impression that resources aren’t being used on maintaining Siri, and have been diverted to something else. Hopefully Siri AI.

I’m probably late to the party, but I did read that it’s possible to ask Siri a question, and for ChatGPT to provide the answer.

Its not perfect, but it’s not too bad, and helps fill the knowledge side of things until Apple sorts it out.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Siri is awful, it’s basically the metric by which I judge Apple software quality. The unwillingness of that company to fix things they cannot possibly be unaware of if comedic. And this is how Tim drives things. Siri isn’t a subscription based item, so it gets little attention. I wouldn’t discount them lumping Siri pro into iCloud or something because their drive is one of complacency for a while now in this realm.
Indeed... I get the feeling (and have feedback from some old-timers) that modern, Tim Cook Apple just isn't as fanatical and obsessed with uncompromising, "insanely great" (tm), rock solid, quality, delightful software/UX regardless of shareholder return.

get-a-mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
I could recreate this problem, but only if I included the words “right now” as in "What time is it, right now?” Perhaps that exceeded the HomePod's ability to provide the current time, including seconds.

Reactions: ipedro

stewiebeamen

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
Some days Siri works great. Most, however, it doesn’t.

Anyone else get the feeling Apple’s Siri / HomePod teams tinker with the live (production) server for Siri / HomePod?

Siri is in a constant state of “Beta”, and I would rather Apple tell us that. 😂

Blue Nova

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2021
Siri is a joke, I asked to play the last song again, it wouldn’t know what I just heard. It always wants to send info to my iPhone, but I’m in the bathroom listening to music on my HomePod mini, why should I have to rush to my iPhone in the next room just to see the results, I asked it to read it to me, but it doesn’t. If next generation of HomePod comes out it should have a screen so you can read it on the speaker on the display. It’s like selling a car with no tires. Siri is nit well planned.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
C'mon, don't be silly. God knows how many lines of codes they are modifying, and this time bug is clearly a result of it. I mean, it was working fine till a while ago...

Two days ago, I had a Shortcut on my phone decide to start formatting the date in a different way than I've specified. Oddly, the same Shortcut on my Mac still formats the date correctly. This happened out of the blue. "It was working fine till a while ago".

There have been reports of iPhone alarms suddenly not working. Those users will tell you "It was working fine till a while ago".

Are these recent and sudden failures because of A.I. improvements also? And even if so, these bugs should be limited to the development versions and not pushed out to the current stable release.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Siri ALWAYS points me to the device when I ask what time it is. I can only ever get it to say it out loud if I say "Siri, read me the time out loud"

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I could recreate this problem, but only if I included the words “right now” as in "What time is it, right now?” Perhaps that exceeded the HomePod's ability to provide the current time, including seconds.

You're right. That stumped Siri for a good while.

Me: What time is it right now?
Siri: One moment... still on it... (almost a minute later) it's 12:09 PM (though it's now 12:10).

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Really makes you wonder if any Apple employees even Tim actually use Siri at all because these issues are so easy to see and so common. I'd be embarrassed to have something as unreliable as this on the market compared to the competition when it can be so much better.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Really makes you wonder if any Apple employees even Tim actually use Siri at all because these issues are so easy to see and so common. I'd be embarrassed to have something as unreliable as this on the market compared to the competition when it can be so much better.

Tim Apple has people.
For every hour of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.