Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
There was a whole time where I couldn't ask in Dutch "Welke dag is het? (What day is it?)" if I wanted more than a web search referral. I had to specially ask "Wat is de datum? (What is the date?) to get a real response. It's baffling how Siri still struggles with the simplest of questions or seems to randomly forget stuff. Lately it seems to understand "Welke dag is het" again though.

Well, let's see... you "tell Siri" ... that could be where things are going wrong? She's not your personal slave. Treat her with respect by asking, not telling, and maybe she'll respond more positively?

"Hey Siri, would you mind kindly changing my wake-up alarm?..., when you have time."
...please!

Maybe begging will do the trick?

Reactions: Digitalweddings

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011

IMO... Apple cancelled their car project because it became clear to management they would not be able to compete on cost/price with all of the Chinese EV manufacturers who will soon have dealerships in western markets, and selling EVs at prices Apple couldn't compete with.

I'm guessing that's also what's driving Musk's recent moves regarding Tesla.

Rockin Robin

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
London, UK
I use Alexa for any switching. Anything tricky and I am invited to look at a link. It rarely copes with anything other than calling a friend with first name and surname. Hapless.

magnamaduin

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
Connecting the Phillips Hue to HomeKit was pretty painless. Reverting colors with a voice comand however...

"Hey, Siri, set [light name] to regular color."

"What color would you like to set?"

"Regular"

It understands "regular" in the response but not in the request. But Regular is the only word that works at all for it. It doesn't understand "default", "normal", "standard", etc.

HOWEVER, all those words work fine the first time if I ask Siri to CHANGE the color instead of SETTING it. Which... why?

Reactions: klasma

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Why would the Homepod need to talk to a server to relay the time? I just put my phone in airplane mode and asked it the time and it was able to tell me using its internal clock.

It's INSANE that such a simple request would require a server.
They are probably skimping on the processing power and storage/RAM on the HomePod.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
It worked great for me for music, home stuff and general maths etc... but the last month has just gone crazy. I guess they are screwing with the hooks for the launch at WWDC.... I hope.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Consider myself lucky, I disabled that crap years ago on all my devices.
But Siri is hard to kill, she pops up now and then and irritate me, despite being turned off.
That Apple hasn't come further with this, say unfortunately a lot of the company.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Bugs happen, but this is indicative of a larger problem. Siri is a dumpster fire.

Hopefully this is some kind of bug related to internal testing of a complete overhaul of Siri’s backend and will result in a new golden age of AI.
My literal first thought was "this sounds like someone was testing in prod"

Reactions: rchornef

Windoes

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
It works perfectly, if you set your HomePod to speak Gibberish, as I do myself too

• Haha
Reactions: Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.