Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
i wish apple would improve macos spellcheck. give it parity with ios. had i typed this in ios and not macos, you would see several capital letters but instead there are none.

"I wish apple would improve macOS spellcheck. give it parity with ios. had I typed this in iOS and not macOS, you would see several capital letters but instead there are none."

Not sure what is up with your install of macOS - that was the output for me.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Shortcuts only working with Marzipan apps means that UIKit is the future on Mac and AppKit is only for legacy, seems to me.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of AppKit. UIKit is a subset and not the future replacing AppKit. Bringing the UIKit touch event response MVC patterns into macOS is a port mechanism [heavy lifting] for iOS focused devs to extend their ecosystem into macOS.

Reactions: afir93

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of AppKit. UIKit is a subset and not the future replacing AppKit. Bringing the UIKit touch event response MVC patterns into macOS is a port mechanism [heavy lifting] for iOS focused devs to extend their ecosystem into macOS.

No I don’t. UIKit is not merely a subset of AppKit. Some functionality from appkit is missing from UIKit, and some functionality from UIKit is missing from AppKit. I code with both.

The fact that only UIKit (Marzipan) apps will (supposedly) support shortcuts suggests that UIKit is the future.

berrymetal

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
More useless features on macOS - remember when there were reasons to look forward to a new version of OS X?
shortcuts is useless? LOL.
[doublepost=1555698294][/doublepost]
Realistically, how many people actually use apps to access social media on MacOS? (9to5mac made the same point about being able to limit use of social media apps, but about the iOS feature and the rewriting here is a little awkward)

If this isn't baked into safari and capable of monitoring usage of individual websites/URLs, its a failure.
That's how it even works on iOS. if you block instagram for example, you wont be able to access instagram.com...
Do your research ma boi

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
They should focus on fixing the Screen Time bugs on iOS first. Inaccurate screen time, old devices not owned anymore still showing under Device list in Screen Time...etc.

Reactions: Dave00

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
They should focus on fixing the Screen Time bugs on iOS first. Inaccurate screen time, old devices not owned anymore still showing under Device list in Screen Time...etc.

Indeed. It routinely ignores the limits i set for my daughter, randomly changes the limits, and then reports that she’s spent only 35 minutes of screen time of which 1.25 hours was Roblox. The only thing that seems to work is the time-of-day limits.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
Apple seems to think that all of their customers are kids that have nothing better to do than send each other animated emoji, and other cute stuff. Some of us are at least semi-adult. <insert fart sound>

mccaffertee

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2014
Orlando, FL
To run Mac OS you need a Mac. Does Apple still make Macs?

The top of the line Mac Pro is 6 years old with 4+ year old hardware. The Macbook Pro has keys that stick. The Mac mini is MIA. The iMacs have 5200RPM hard drives that I had in my Mac 10 years ago and replaced with SSDs. Shouldn't all Mac come standard with SSDs in 2019?. I am still using my 2008 Mac Pro and am waiting for a compelling upgrade.

How does the worlds most valuable company forget to do what brought them to the dance?
I guess the heroin of iPhone profit has killed the golden Apple of innovation. "Can't innovate my ass" is right.
YOU ARE SPOT-ON, I bought into the complete Mac Eco-System where at one time, "It Just Worked".... today, outdated equipment, no monitor, no airport, no time machine, but oh yeah, they got some crappy PC Car on the way. It's about scaling back investment into things people will still buy anyway and keep the $trillion$dollar$tatus...

FontGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
I have been waiting for Shortcuts (and previously Workflow) to replace Automator for so long! This comes as welcome news.

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Yawn, where are the nested notifications messages on Mac like iOS now has?! How about Apple TV & Smart TV remote control too, like iOS has?! BOTH iOS & macOS need AV Receiver control next!

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Messages on Mac needs a marzipan overhaul—the Mac client is one of the worst native apps on the system. Feature parity would be fantastic. Screen time seems like a cool tool for dumb people like me who want to be able to quantify their habits and see cool graphs and stuff but I dont see the family aspect of making sense—I mean cant you just have multiple users within locked down controls already? Shortcuts only for the 6 terrible marzipan apps that exist? Useless. If the shortcuts dont work for most apps on the system thats an incredibly strange schism

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yawn, where are the nested notifications messages on Mac like iOS now has?! How about Apple TV & Smart TV remote control too, like iOS has?! BOTH iOS & macOS need AV Receiver control next!
Yes. Since none of this has leaked yet it must be proof that these features won’t arrive.
[doublepost=1555709355][/doublepost]
Shortcuts? I already use Scripts, hope they don't kill that!

Marzipan apps likely won’t support AppleScript, and AppKit apps won’t support shortcuts.

Should be a fine mess until UIKit is just the standard on Mac.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I'm a bit worried that all the iOS/MacOS integration is going to end up with Apple restricting MacOS app downloads to those in the App Store. Surely they wouldn't be so stupid as to do that, would they?

Reactions: saytheenay

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Siri shortcuts suck. Such a missed opportunity. They need to open this to third party apps.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Siri shortcuts suck. Such a missed opportunity. They need to open this to third party apps.
Um, what?

Siri shortcuts are open to third party apps. An example I did myself below. About the only problem with them is they aren’t parameterized (hopefully that’s coming).

64232AFB-5DEF-4F26-B5DC-C61B51E7ADEA.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.