Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I feel like the mini will never be updated on the same schedule as the others because the target demo is different. The vast majority of mini customers are not the kind to update every september, but more likely to update every 3 years. So maybe an iphone 16 mini in spring of 2025

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Haha.

Blass "Has leaked countless smartphones" but is wrong because Ming-Chi (who is wrong all the time) says otherwise.

Someone needs to make a running tally of all the times Ming-Chi is wrong, to post on these sorts of articles.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The SE (2016) was a premium smartphone (6s internals) when it came out.
Yeah, just like the second and third gen SE. Newest chipset on an old body, when that design and that production line is already paid off. The current iPhone mini is a premium smartphone, not an old design.

I could buy the idea of a 500$ SE with the mini body with a lot of tradeoffs: LCD instead of OLED, one camera, and other changes that lower the production cost. But you cannot sell the same iPhone Apple is selling at 700$/800€ for the SE price. At least not with the Apple view of profit margins. The iPhone 13 mini is as premium as the regular iPhone 13. You cannot sell those at the SE price point, because the idea of the SE is an old, almost obsolete design, renewed with the latest internals.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Have a 13 mini on an unlisted number to send the darn two step six digit security number to when home.

If the 14 Pro Max has dual esims, then the mini will get my UK O2 SIM card until I get over there again to have an esim in space two of the new 14 series.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
If true I’d suddenly be in the market for an iPhone this September but I really doubt it since nothing has corroborated it so far.

Reactions: xpxp2002

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Yeah, just like the second and third gen SE. Newest chipset on an old body, when that design and that production line is already paid off. The current iPhone mini is a premium smartphone, not an old design.

I could buy the idea of a 500$ SE with the mini body with a lot of tradeoffs: LCD instead of OLED, one camera, and other changes that lower the production cost. But you cannot sell the same iPhone Apple is selling at 700$/800€ for the SE price. At least not with the Apple view of profit margins. The iPhone 13 mini is as premium as the regular iPhone 13. You cannot sell those at the SE price point, because the idea of the SE is an old, almost obsolete design, renewed with the latest internals.
Not to mention that not everybody wants a cheap, small phone full of compromises. That’s already what the current SE is.

I bought a 12 mini and a 13 mini because it had 4x4 MIMO antennas and mmWave support, the same cameras as the regular 13, and the latest hardware. The only things I would’ve wanted — and would’ve gladly paid more for — were the ProMotion display and a 3x optical telephoto lens instead of the 0.5x ultrawide.

I don’t want a small, cheap phone. If I did, I’d just buy the SE. I want the premium flagship phone in a reasonable size, like we used to be able to get with the iPhone 6s and 7. I want the same features as the Pro phone, and I’ll pay Pro/Pro Max prices if that’s what it takes. But without a 14 mini somewhere in the lineup, no iPhone offers that anymore.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If that was the case, then I'm guessing Apple simply renaming the current 13 mini into a 14 mini, and discontinue the whole 13 lineup, leaving a 14 mini, 14, and 14 Max. Since the 14 is sporting A15 and not much else difference than the 13, it makes sense.
So we will have 2022 SE, 12 mini, 12, 14 mini, 14, 14 max.

AppleFan1998

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
USA
iPhone mini is fine, I have the 13 and its fine, if the pro cameras can go into that form factor it would be great.

Reactions: klasma

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
This is one of the downsides about following Apple and for that matter Tech Rumors in general. Alot of so called insiders or what ever just making stuff up for clicks and views and attention. My rule of thumb when it comes to this stuff is simple, if theres multiple reports from different sources on it, then its likely true (the old where their is smoke theres likely fire). But NOTHING is official until apple makes it so!

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
Case manufacturers would have models of a mini if one existed. And no manufacturer has come forward with a 14 mini model. But they have with all the other sizes.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
The Mini needs to be the SE and Apple needs to finally ditch that old iPhone 6 design with that terrible LCD.
Terrible LCD!!!? I’m composing this from my SE3, LCD seems to work perfectly well thanks. There is plenty of space in the market for phones that don’t encompass bleeding edge display technology. And when I compare my display to some of my colleagues it’s hard to tell much of a difference….

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Terrible LCD!!!? I’m composing this from my SE3, LCD seems to work perfectly well thanks. There is plenty of space in the market for phones that don’t encompass bleeding edge display technology. And when I compare my display to some of my colleagues it’s hard to tell much of a difference….
The LCDs Apple uses are actually better than the OLEDs because they don’t have a headache-inducing PWM flicker.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Is it possible they’ll just rebrand the 13 mini as the 14 mini? Since the iPhone 14 is rumored to use the same SOC as the the iPhone 13 lineup, it might make sense.

The rumor mill may not have picked up on it if the only thing they’re changing is the name and maybe color options.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not to mention that not everybody wants a cheap, small phone full of compromises. That’s already what the current SE is.

I bought a 12 mini and a 13 mini because it had 4x4 MIMO antennas and mmWave support, the same cameras as the regular 13, and the latest hardware. The only things I would’ve wanted — and would’ve gladly paid more for — were the ProMotion display and a 3x optical telephoto lens instead of the 0.5x ultrawide.
I feel that.

I’ve tried a few times the 13 Pro, and the ProMotion display is really gorgeous. But the phone is a bit too big and especially, too heavy for me. Still, that screen and refresh rate kept me wondering if I would be able to adapt to such dimensions… Because it looks gorgeous. The telephoto lens is nice to have as well.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The LCDs Apple uses are actually better than the OLEDs because they don’t have a headache-inducing PWM flicker.
Esxactly, and this is the reason I hope the next iPhone SE, which allegedly will come with a 5.7”, will come with an LCD display. The main source of this leak, the reliable display analyst Ross Young, didn’t specify if the screen will be LCD or OLED, but considering that LCDs usually have bigger bezels, I would say that 5.7” on an iPhone X body (which was a 5.8” OLED screen) means it will be an LCD.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

A mini as an SE might be released after the regular iPhone has moved to a notchless design, in which case the mini would be an old design as well. If we believe the rumors about the SE 4, that one will have a 5.7" display, so maybe using the iPhone X body with a minimally smaller screen; in any case, not a mini. That could be the SE 5 at the earliest.

Personally, I doubt that the mini form factor will be used for an SE, because (a) all SEs so far have used previously mainstream form factors, which the mini is not, and (b) Apple might just relegate the iPhone mini to a slower update cycle similar to the iPad mini, thus keeping it as its own thing, i.e. a small iPhone, not a cheap iPhone.

Reactions: Populus

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
A questionable report this weekend from 91Mobiles claims that one of Apple's largest distributors in the Asia-Pacific region is preparing to stock new iPhone and iPad models next month, including a supposed "iPhone 14 mini" and a 10th-generation iPad with a 10.2-inch display, but the information is very likely wrong.
Wouldn't it be a riot if this iPhone 14 mini rumor was true, and the iPhone 14 Max (plus) 6.7” was a red herring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.