Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNPaige

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
Ink and paper is the way to go. Futureproof and non of that battery suddenly dying on you. It was used by geniuses like Leonardo Da Vinci and Albert Einstein, so I guess it must be good enough. No refreshes, just buy more ink and paper. You can use all the money you saved on stamps.

Have you even SEEN how thin they can make a sheet of paper? It makes the rMB look like a chunky old laptop from the early 2000s. It's amazing what technology can do these days.

I'd love to see an updated MacBook with a 720p camera, an extra Type-C port, and the ability to drive a 4K display at 60hz. If Apple did this, it would be the perfect consumer laptop. We're seeing a repeat of the MacBook Air where the first generation tests the waters and the succeeding generations get better and better.

I'm still hoping this isn't a replacement for the Air but more a companion device in the vein of an iPad that just happens to run OS X, though. Some people need a bit more power than Core M can currently provide without going up to rMBP territory. Still, down the road this could be the logical successor in future generations of the product if Intel can make the Core M series even better.

Reactions: Narcaz

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Just replaced my fat and heavy rMBP 13 with the base model. Usage is typing, coding webapps and browsing. The rMBP are too slow for my D810 RAWs anyways. Have desktop solution with two huge screens for that. Still I will edit a photo or two from time to time on my rMB. Thought about waiting, but not worth it. Skylake will be better, but right now the current rMB is the best portable solution in computing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost31

Axeros

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Which one is suitable for the MacBook. Are they all just different clock speeds?

In theory any of the Skylake-Y Intel Core M chips might be used. That's for Apple to decide. I don't think anyone outside of Apple and Intel knows.

I've seen suggestions that these are 1.6GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.4GHz base clocks, but that's probably just speculation.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Replacing the battery yourself costs $65 (I did this last week on a 2011 MBA, battery off eBay). While you are in there, you can swap in a new 240 GB HD (OWC) for $165 including the enclosure to clone your current disk.

iFixit and OWC are great resources, and <$250 to maintain a device for 2 more years is a great investment! Unless you crave the fanless design or screen, I'd keep that '12...just like you said.

Just thought I would update you - I ended up springing for a 240gb transcend SSD for my MBA (opted for it over OWC after reading some negative reviews about the latter). It arrived a few days ago, swapped the disk, and it seems to have given my laptop somewhat of a new lease of life. Apps open and load faster, my laptop wakes faster from sleep now and the slight keyboard lag I used to experience seems to have all but vanished.

Thank you again for your advice. :)

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I'm still hoping this isn't a replacement for the Air but more a companion device in the vein of an iPad that just happens to run OS X, though. Some people need a bit more power than Core M can currently provide without going up to rMBP territory. Still, down the road this could be the logical successor in future generations of the product if Intel can make the Core M series even better.

It's very possible, I'd guess even likely, that you'll have a Skylake MB before December. Why? Cannonlake is scheduled to be released in (late?) 2016. With the 10nm die shrink and DDR4 RAM standard, we could very well see either MB and the Air product lines consolidate into one product, or the MBP/MBA. Either way, Cannonlake's massive power savings and performance bumps should benefit the MB more than any other Apple notebook.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
It's very possible, I'd guess even likely, that you'll have a Skylake MB before December. Why? Cannonlake is scheduled to be released in (late?) 2016. With the 10nm die shrink and DDR4 RAM standard, we could very well see either MB and the Air product lines consolidate into one product, or the MBP/MBA. Either way, Cannonlake's massive power savings and performance bumps should benefit the MB more than any other Apple notebook.
I agree, the macbook air will be let with broadwell along side 13" macbook pro as non retina laptop+ 1 or 2 imac non retina models...but the rest will gain skylake and so on

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
skylake is most likely the reason that apple made the bold move of having only 1 USB port. wireless charging and wireless peripherals (WiGig - wireless replacement for USB, HDMI...) would be perfect for the macbook and supposedly coming with skylake.

deleder

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
skylake is most likely the reason that apple made the bold move of having only 1 USB port. wireless charging and wireless peripherals (WiGig - wireless replacement for USB, HDMI...) would be perfect for the macbook and supposedly coming with skylake.

But how would you charge the macbook when you're not at home? Bring a big induction charger?

Reactions: Dayv

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
But how would you charge the macbook when you're not at home? Bring a big induction charger?

u can still use the usb port, until the wireless charging gets wide spread.
but i'm not sure how big the induction charger has to be. but they will surely shrink in time. intel made a demo once, they don't even need to be in direct contact.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Have you even SEEN how thin they can make a sheet of paper? It makes the rMB look like a chunky old laptop from the early 2000s. It's amazing what technology can do these days.

Not only that, it's the ultimate "retina" screen. I try and try, but no matter how close I get to this sheet of paper, I can't see any pixels... way better than any 5K monitor I've seen.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Perfect if you want to waste energy, yes.

airattack111

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
I got the base model broadwell (1.1ghz). I'm a very efficient/OCD operating system user and this thing really hasn't crapped out that bad yet. I couldn't justify spending a lot of money to upgrade to the 1.2ghz model with it still only having 8gb ram and a 480p camera. As far as storage goes I just use the cloud for everything.. I wish there was a 128gb version.

For skylake I'm sure they'll get a better camera in this thing... I don't really mind 480p because I'm not a huge fan of HD video chatting. And yeah 1.1ghz is kind of LOL.. but it's still cooler than an ipad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
How much of a graphics performance boost is Skylake Core-M chips supposed to bring? That's what I'm most interested in.

Reactions: Ghost31

ZachNathan

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
New York, NY
I'd buy the 1st generation. in reality, I did, and it was a great decision.

The performance anxiety is definitely blown waaaaay out of proportion. I'm a power user, usually requiring A LOT of tabs in Safari, heavy Pixelmatr use, and near constant iTunes utilization. But I'm frugal with my expectations and how I work the processor, and the MacBook is perfectly perfect for me.

My main concern was battery life, but seeing as I've only charged this thing twice since getting it Wednesday, I'd say that's not really cause for concern. In fact, I've been heavily using this thing for the past 2 hours and I'm still at 92% (13 hours left). :O

"Whaaaaaat?" says you.
"Same," says I. "Tis amazing. Just as with the Apple Watch, Apple decided to once again under present and over perform in this regard."

Taking that into consideration, along with the prestige of being an early adopter, I'd warrant the 1st generation a good buy (especially at 20% off).

Reactions: Ghost31 and Dayv

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
I'd buy the 1st generation. in reality, I did, and it was a great decision.

The performance anxiety is definitely blown waaaaay out of proportion. I'm a power user, usually requiring A LOT of tabs in Safari, heavy Pixelmatr use, and near constant iTunes utilization. But I'm frugal with my expectations and how I work the processor, and the MacBook is perfectly perfect for me.

My main concern was battery life, but seeing as I've only charged this thing twice since getting it Wednesday, I'd say that's not really cause for concern. In fact, I've been heavily using this thing for the past 2 hours and I'm still at 92% (13 hours left). :O

"Whaaaaaat?" says you.
"Same," says I. "Tis amazing. Just as with the Apple Watch, Apple decided to once again under present and over perform in this regard."

Taking that into consideration, along with the prestige of being an early adopter, I'd warrant the 1st generation a good buy (especially at 20% off).

Two hours usage and only at 92%?

The quoted battery life is 10 hours if I'm correct, therefore an hour of usage should equate to 10% of battery life. How are you getting double that, and with heavy usage? What exactly is your heavy usage?

Zach Nathan

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015
Two hours usage and only at 92%?

The quoted battery life is 10 hours if I'm correct, therefore an hour of usage should equate to 10% of battery life. How are you getting double that, and with heavy usage? What exactly is your heavy usage?

The heavy usage is definitely off and on in short bursts, but it usually consists of 6-10 tabs in Safari, Pixelmator performing near constant edits, and iTunes either playing music or downloading large files in the background. I'm tailoring heavy usage to this particular model, but even so, I'd guess it'd still constitute as fairly heavy usage on a Pro or Air.

Take note that while Pixelmator and iTunes are nearly always in use (whether at the same time or otherwise), App Nap keeps Safari tame when I'm photo editing.

All reasonable power saving settings are turned on, and screen brightness is at 1 bar (I'm not a fan of bright screens). Dashboard is turned off, though I doubt that has anything to do with this. Spaces are kept at an absolute minimum, as I've got the default, unscaled resolution (which is plenty of space for me, particularly as I don't want to tax the GPU).

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
The heavy usage is definitely off and on in short bursts, but it usually consists of 6-10 tabs in Safari, Pixelmator performing near constant edits, and iTunes either playing music or downloading large files in the background. I'm tailoring heavy usage to this particular model, but even so, I'd guess it'd still constitute as fairly heavy usage on a Pro or Air.

Take note that while Pixelmator and iTunes are nearly always in use (whether at the same time or otherwise), App Nap keeps Safari tame when I'm photo editing.

All reasonable power saving settings are turned on, and screen brightness is at 1 bar (I'm not a fan of bright screens). Dashboard is turned off, though I doubt that has anything to do with this. Spaces are kept at an absolute minimum, as I've got the default, unscaled resolution (which is plenty of space for me, particularly as I don't want to tax the GPU).

Ah I think the screen brightness explains it. Are you using 1 bar from highest or are you using 1 bar out of 16?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Actually I think having a bit of insider knowledge about TB3 going over USB-C with the release of Skylake is the reason Apple went with one USB-C port. I can almost guarantee that wireless charging will not be a feature of the next rMB. As other have pointed out, it isn't efficient yet and the charging pads are going to be too big to be carrying around in a laptop case, even taking into consideration that USB is still a charging option. What's the point if you only need to charge at night after a full day's work? WiGig similarly won't be ready from Prime Time in 2016. Compared to TB3 it just won't be good enough yet.

Can't wait until wireless charging and WiGig are good enough and up to the task, but I just don't see it for a couple of more years at least, even with Skylake and Cannonlake architectures officially supporting the standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: deleder
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.