Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Why would some programs do not work? I think all regular programs work, except for add-ons and plugins, since a 32bit plugin/add-on won't work on a 64-bit application.

The base line of the system is the same. All they did was clean up the code.

There are some changes SL in so far as the way some programs register themselves in Leopard vs Snow Leopard as far as I can see in my poking around and deciphering some error messages, depending on how deep they go with certificates etc. I think it was the same sort of thing when Leopard first came out. It really depends on how far into the system and what areas of the system programs need to embed themselves.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Well, it appears that most of the apps appearing on this thread are not really that important (at least for me). I could care less if SL breaks a screensaver, a game, or any third party software that controls the system. The ONLY app listed so far that has any value to me is Dreamweaver, but I'm sure Adobe will fix that before SL arrives or soon after. I suppose the same thing will happen for all the professional applications.

I'm more interested in apps like, CS 4 design, After Effects, Lightwave/Maya, FCS 3, Nuke, BBEdit, and drivers for Epson scanners and printers... etc. I'm especially interested to know if Final Cut renders faster. And finally, I'd like to know if Safari is snappier. :D

Dreamweaver should just work. Not sure what is up with that. I don't really care about screensavers either, but I did think it was odd how 100% of my non stock screensavers were blocked. that doesn't really make much sense. Screensavers are pretty simplistic, all and all, to begin with.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
works:

-warcraft III and the frozen throne (patched to 1.24)

:)

In Leopard, there was a well-known bug (at least before 1.24, not sure if that fixed it). Every few games, a "Port in use. Close other applications and try again." error came up every few games. Is that still there?

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Does anyone have a problem when with Adium it won't remember your passwords, so when you connect to a network you have to type it in every time?

Another program that seems to be buggy is Screen Sharing, the built in screen sharing app. For some reason, even if the username/pass combo is correct, it'll say it's not like 4 times and the 5th time, without changing anything, it'll finally connect.

Dropbox also works but has a bug, when you have files in the public folder you can no longer right click and "copy public URL", the Dropbox menu no longer shows up in the right click menu.

iphone3gss

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
I can confirm DNS-323 NAS Samba access is not broken. It prompts me for username/password every time even though I pick to remember. It connects and I can access files fine though.

Let's have a list of applications that currently don't work under Snow Leopard 10A432.

CandyBar 3.1.2 - Unstable, becomes unresponsive after some time. Cannot scroll through installed icons.

Glims - Installs, but doesn't show up in Safari preferences.

Inquisitor - Installs, but doesn't show up in Safari preferences.

DNS-323 NAS Samba access is also broken in Snow Leopard. I can confirm this.

Let's keep this thread updated for the convenience of other people.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Is there any way to open third party 32 bit System Preferences (under "Other) in System Preferences? Connect 360, Flip4Mac, Growl, MacFuse, and Shades just tell me it needs to quit and reopen, and then it never reopens.

sdragon

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Is there any way to open third party 32 bit System Preferences (under "Other) in System Preferences? Connect 360, Flip4Mac, Growl, MacFuse, and Shades just tell me it needs to quit and reopen, and then it never reopens.
I've heard Flip4Mac and MacFuse have 64-bit versions in beta, so you may want to try those.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
Can someone please cross-check if the Adobe Shockwave player isn't working as it should ? After a clean install of 10a432, Shockwave player is the only thing that doesn't work for me.

Scylax

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Do these work?

Please could someone test Scrivener, Mellel and Bookends for me?

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
DON'T WORK: FreeNX; Little Snitch in 64bit mode; Perian mkv codec in QTX

and you need rosetta to run office 2008.

gdhnz

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
Cisco VPN Works :eek:

The VPN you're connecting to doesn't work with SL's builtin Cisco IPSec support?

I'm just waiting on my workplace to setup our VPN on new hardware that will work with SL (and the iPhone VPN) so I can dump the Cisco piece of crap.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Everything I have on my computer works:

Office 08
Apple Main
Safari 4.0.3
iChat
iPhoto 09 - Infact this version will do software updates. It's updating iPhoto ATM
Final Cut Express 4
Apple Motion 3
After Effects CS4
Preview
Photoshop CS4
Tweetdeck
iTunes
iCal
iMovie 09
Quicktime 7 + 10 = X
Visual Hub
1 Password
System Prefferences = Duh

+

Perian
InsomniaX
Vmware Fusion
Super Tux
Sims 3
Rar Expander
iMovie HD6

Also Apple sneaky with Rosetta in this version. When installing over Leopard if you have PPC Apps be sure to do customize install as you have to tick Rosetta.

Also on my Feb 2008 MacBook Pro 4 fingers is indeed enabled :D

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK

Office 08
Apple Main
Safari 4.0.3
iChat
iPhoto 09 - Infact this version will do software updates. It's updating iPhoto ATM
Final Cut Express 4
Apple Motion 3
After Effects CS4
Preview
Photoshop CS4
Tweetdeck
iTunes
iCal
iMovie 09
Quicktime 7 + 10 = X
Visual Hub
1 Password

+

Perian
InsomniaX
Vmware Fusion
Super Tux
Sims 3
Rar Expander
iMovie HD6

Also Apple sneaky with Rosetta in this version. When installing over Leopard if you have PPC Apps be sure to do customize install as you have to tick Rosetta.

one new feature i found is that the uMBP now detect touches to trackpad i.e you don't have to click the trackpad, just touch with poking way which is good as it's more silent and won't wear the track pad

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil

Office 08
Apple Main
Safari 4.0.3
iChat
Final Cut Express 4
Apple Motion 3
After Effects CS4
Preview
Photoshop CS4
Tweetdeck
iTunes
iCal
iMovie 09
Quicktime 7 + 10 = X
Visual Hub
1 Password

+

Perian
InsomniaX
Vmware Fusion
Super Tux
Sims 3
Rar Expander
iMovie HD6

If you use an application that requires Rosetta, software update will pop-up with a window telling you need to download Rosetta to run that software. I wouldn't install Rosetta on customize installation until I need it (maybe) on a future software download

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.