So, are we expecting for the iPad Pro 2 on November or next spring?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drewjonn, Jun 8, 2016.

?

Should we expect for the 2nd gen of 12.9" iPP?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2016.
  1. Yes, most likely this November

33 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Yes, most likely next March

57 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. There will be no more 12.9" in the future

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. drewjonn macrumors regular

I decided to just wait for the 2nd gen. Just curious if they would release it 1 year after the first one, which is November, or do a whole upgrade along the 9.7" on March.

Even someone told me that they wouldn't release another 12.9" for good, it's hard to believe that though. Anyone?

Help me with the poll, of course I'd wish for the November, but know I gotta be realistic.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I wouldn't wait

Think it's more likely it's out a year after the first one

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your poll allows multiple selections, which I'm sure isn't what you wanted. As for when the next 12.9 will be released, I really don't know. November or spring seems both equally likely.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i would suspect it'll be upgraded significantly in november. a year after the first. that team will have had that brief i would have thought.

but then...

a) a lot of people here think different
    b) most importantly, NO BODY KNOWS. could be, could not be of course. your uneducated guess is as good as any so called 'expert's' guess here :)

5. Adolmino100 macrumors member

Adolmino100

i'm also waiting for the 2nd gen of the ipad pro , i hope it will be released in November , and i hope they will release a 2nd gen 12.9 and 9.7 ,

6. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I hope we get a 9.7 and 12.9 in November! My poor iPad 2 will be up for replacement by then, and the current 9.7 isn't quite up to scratch for me.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The 9.7 is the main reason why I'm unsure about November release for the next 12.9. If the 9.7 is updated in November, we'd have a repeat of the outrage when iPad 4 was released half year after the iPad 3. Yet it seems weird to keep staggering the release of the two Pro sizes.

8. RedOrchestra, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

Can you expand on that with something other than the oft mentioned, overplayed RAM issue?

9. ACG12 macrumors 6502

The best tablet on the market isn't up to scratch?

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its the RAM for me. If I'm overpaying for a tablet, I don't want to it be missing specs.

Nup. Its limited by RAM. As said already I'm not paying More than I payed for my Macbook Pro to get something I know won't last as long as its 12.9 inch brother.

11. RedOrchestra Suspended

And meanwhile I'm flying along using my 9.7 iPP without . a . single . hiccup.

So much for all that RAM concern.

12. oldmacs macrumors 68040

And I plan on using my next iPad for 5-6 years and in 5 to 6 years, 4GB of ram will be FAR more desirable than 2GB of ram. As simple as that. Had my iPad 2 come wth 256MB of ram instead of 512, it would be unusable today. Given I'll be paying around double what I paid for the iPad 2, buying something under specced for my needs makes no sense.

So yes, for the time being 2GB of ram would probably work fine for me, but not for the long term.

13. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Yup, it works very well. No issues at all.

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

You haven't expanded on the "my needs" that so desperately calls for 4GB on an iPad.

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

No one is saying that people should be concerned about RAM for using their iPads TODAY. It is a matter of longevity. A year from now you may feel differently.

16. oldmacs macrumors 68040

My need is for a device that is going to last 5-6 years. In 5 to 6 years, 2GB of ram will be tiny. 4GB will be less so. As I'm now said several times, if I'm paying more than I paid for my laptop, I find it unacceptable to be lacking in specs.

I'd suspect by 2020, basic tablet usage will use far more ram than it does today. Otherwise, we'd still all be fine with 512MB of ram in our iPads.

17. RedOrchestra Suspended

I had an iPad 3 from day one and RAM was never an issue.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Do you still have an iPad 3? Oh no that's right, you now have an iPP 9.7. :p

You're enjoying your 2GB totin' iPP. Great! But if you believe that having 4GB is no benefit over having 2GB well... that's silly.

19. oldmacs macrumors 68040

So, then using that iPad 3 in 2017 or 2018 (5-6 years) will be just as pleasant as tablets with 2GB right?

20. ACG12 macrumors 6502

So you're saying the iPP 9.7 can't have the same 5 year longevity as the iPad 2 has had?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2016 ---
    How will it not work long term? The iPad 2 is still supported at 512mb of RAM after 5 years. I think a tablet with 4x more ram can last just as long.

This wouldn't even be a discussion had Apple just named the damn thing the Air 3.

21. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its less likely to last as long. The iPad 2's cutting edge GPU, CPU and doubling the ram on its processor have all been major reasons for its longevity - it had the 'top of the line' specs in every way. The Pro 9.7 has the GPU and CPU, but its missing the RAM, instead using 2GB - from 2014. It will not last as long as the Pro 12.9.

For the price hike over what i paid for my iPad 2, it should be able to last longer and I doubt it will.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the iPads to a spring launch. iPads come out every March, iPhones in September. Just a guess, although I would venture what the next iteration of iOS brings will play a greater role in the release of the next iPad.

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its already limited by the Pro 12.9 having more RAM. As soon as you've got something on the market with better specs, then the more limited a lifespan the other will have. Apps and versions of iOS will be designed for the 4GB of ram leaving the 2GB of ram (which was great for 2014, and more middle of the road for 2016) in the dark. 512MB of ram was BIG for 2011, 2GB of ram is not that amazing for 2016.

As I've said, if I'm paying $1350, instead of the $750 I paid for my iPad 2, I'd be expecting top of the line specifications. Simply put the Pro 9.7 will not last as long as it would have, had it come with 4GB of ram. If you're going to claim that there will be no difference between 2 and 4 GB iPads in 2020 ish then you'd be mistaken.

Just look at the Mini 3 vs the Air 2. 1GB was meh in 2014, and is a big limiting factor for the Mini 2 and 3 now.

24. ACG12 macrumors 6502

I'll give you that, the price increase was not cool. Good thing I waited two months and got one for $200 off open box from Best Buy.

25. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'd pay the higher price if it matched the 12.9 inch iPad.

Personally I would have preferred an iPad Air 3 - All i really wanted in addition to the Air 2 was the Processor, GPU and Ram from the Pro. Don't need the keyboard, the stylus or the true tone display and they could have kept it at a lower price point as a result.