Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Ugh, just noticed my iPad has a loose home button and a chip near the headset jack. If I didn't have to work today I would exchange it. Guess I shall be doing that tomorrow.

Did you get the accidental protection? If not, expect to be blamed for it and a possibility of not getting a swap.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Did you get the accidental protection? If not, expect to be blamed for it and a possibility of not getting a swap.

I had a same issue with my iPhone 5 when I got it last year and with my HTC One M8 I got on the 11th. The T-Mobile store replaced them both.

I'm still within the two weeks.

ipad4fan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
My T-Mobile iPad Air should be here tomorrow. Went ahead and returned the iPad 4 Retina because I really wanted cellular and this deal seems to be the perfect fit for that. I'm also very familiar with T-Mobile service in my area... so no surprises in that regard.

I think the T-Mobile website shows conflicting info regarding the 2014 promotional data plans. The fine print reads that they increase $10 per month in 2015... but the website also shows transaction info that my total monthly cost will be $30.79 for 24 months ($20.79 iPad Air + $10 1 GB data) then $10 per month after that.

Is this conflicting or am I overlooking something?

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Hey…. Thanks for all of the good info here.

I have been researching if I can put a Verizon sim in the T-Mobile iPad ? Is Verizon still being jerks about it? Can I just take my Verizon sim out of my Verizon iPhone 5 and use that if i need to?

Conflicting answers everywhere. I just don't want to get stuck with T-mobile if it sucks, I'm in Denver and I understand that is one of their "important markets" so I am not expecting problems.

It sounds like you 32gb phone people are fine with a 16gb? I can't decide. I have the 32 phone but that is for music. I won't have music on the retina. Just apps and reading. Is 16 enough? Does it get slow if it is almost full?

The only thing besides the sim issue that is holding me back is the credit check?! Why…. it I am paying full price. :confused: Hate giving that info out!

Thanks in advance!!! :D This is such a good deal. Plan is to get rid of the phone as I don't use it except for the web. Save lots of $$$$ :cool:

I would go 32GB for sure maybe even 64GB if you're getting rid of the 32GB phone if you're patient you can find good deals.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
My T-Mobile iPad Air should be here tomorrow. Went ahead and returned the iPad 4 Retina because I really wanted cellular and this deal seems to be the perfect fit for that. I'm also very familiar with T-Mobile service in my area... so no surprises in that regard.

I think the T-Mobile website shows conflicting info regarding the 2014 promotional data plans. The fine print reads that they increase $10 per month in 2015... but the website also shows transaction info that my total monthly cost will be $30.79 for 24 months ($20.79 iPad Air + $10 1 GB data) then $10 per month after that.

Is this conflicting or am I overlooking something?

Those numbers look right to me. I took advantage of the T-Mobile deal as well, except I got an iPad Mini Retina. My cost is this: $26.62/month ($16.62 iPad Mini Retina + $10 for 1GB data). My monthly cost will remain the same until the end of 2014, then it goes up by $10 in 2015 since the cost of 1GB is normally $20.

From what I have read, if you have a voice plan with T-Mobile, you wouldn't be paying the $10 for the 1GB of data, it would be free until 2015 and then it would be $10. The key seems to be the voice plan.

I don't have a voice plan, so I just get discounted data until 2015 and then I pay the regular rates.

Hope that made sense.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Those numbers look right to me. I took advantage of the T-Mobile deal as well, except I got an iPad Mini Retina. My cost is this: $26.62/month ($16.62 iPad Mini Retina + $10 for 1GB data). My monthly cost will remain the same until the end of 2014, then it goes up by $10 in 2015 since the cost of 1GB is normally $20.

From what I have read, if you have a voice plan with T-Mobile, you wouldn't be paying the $10 for the 1GB of data, it would be free until 2015 and then it would be $10. The key seems to be the voice plan.

I don't have a voice plan, so I just get discounted data until 2015 and then I pay the regular rates.

Hope that made sense.

This is correct.

ipad4fan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014

Got the iPad Air via UPS today. Unit and screen are perfect. I can't believe T-Mobile ships expensive stuff like this in those flimsy plastic light gray plastic envelopes. The box corners have some light crumpling... but luckily no damage. No wonder other folks have mentioned in the forums about receiving units with dented corners. I'm a warehouse manager by trade and can't believe how companies package their shipments anymore. It's like they either don't care or are trying to save every cent they can.

I don't doubt the data plan will increase $10 in 2015 and that's OK with me... but it's strange that my transaction data on their website states word for word that my payment is $30.79 for 24 months... which extends well into 2015. I'd expect it to say something like $30.79 per month until December 2014... then $40.79 per month thereafter.

Another question... if the iPad develops problems during the warranty period do I contact T-Mobile to handle or can I go direct to an Apple store? I'm guessing it has at least a one year warranty?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Got the iPad Air via UPS today. Unit and screen are perfect. I can't believe T-Mobile ships expensive stuff like this in those flimsy plastic light gray plastic envelopes. The box corners have some light crumpling... but luckily no damage. No wonder other folks have mentioned in the forums about receiving units with dented corners. I'm a warehouse manager by trade and can't believe how companies package their shipments anymore. It's like they either don't care or are trying to save every cent they can.

I don't doubt the data plan will increase $10 in 2015 and that's OK with me... but it's strange that my transaction data on their website states word for word that my payment is $30.79 for 24 months... which extends well into 2015. I'd expect it to say something like $30.79 per month until December 2014... then $40.79 per month thereafter.

Another question... if the iPad develops problems during the warranty period do I contact T-Mobile to handle or can I go direct to an Apple store? I'm guessing it has at least a one year warranty?

You can go to the Apple store for warranty repairs for the first year. I noticed on my online T-Mobile account that I am in the JUMP program. I am pretty sure that this also includes T-Mobile's warranty coverage as well. I need to call to find out for sure.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009

That is interesting. And, after re-reading your post, I totally understand your point. If the data cost will increase at the beginning of 2015, it does make more sense for T-Mobile to explain the pricing like you have done.

Edit: Just looked at my order summary - there are two different columns, plan and device. For plan, I have $10.00/month "1 GB - 2014 promotional plan". For device, it says $16.62/month for 24 months. So, it does seem the total cost has been separated out. And, the description of the plan indicates a change in cost after 2014.

Last edited:

ipad4fan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
That is interesting. And, after re-reading your post, I totally understand your point. If the data cost will increase at the beginning of 2015, it does make more sense for T-Mobile to explain the pricing like you have done.

Yeah... I printed a screenshot of how that's outlined on their website and just might bring it to their attention when the new year rolls around. Don't know if it will do any good since T-Mobile usually holds firm to what's stated in their fine print... but won't hurt to try.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah... I printed a screenshot of how that's outlined on their website and just might bring it to their attention when the new year rolls around. Don't know if it will do any good since T-Mobile usually holds firm to what's stated in their fine print... but won't hurt to try.

It definitely doesn't hurt to have documentation.

midnight555

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Have anybody recently bought an iPad from T-Mobile at full price and tried it out on AT&T's network to confirm that T-Mobile is not locking them to its network. This appears to be a really good deal.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Have anybody recently bought an iPad from T-Mobile at full price and tried it out on AT&T's network to confirm that T-Mobile is not locking them to its network. This appears to be a really good deal.

Unless things have changed, iPads aren't locked to any one carrier.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Well i caved in! ordered a 64gb air.... Would of gone 128gb if i had known the down payment would of actually been cheaper :eek:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
what about me, I have a voice Tmo plan on my iPhone, and the free 200 plan on my ipad Air. nothing was bought at Tmo except my iphone plan. I got the iPad SIM free from Tmo online a while back and set up the free 200 plan myself.
How much of a hassle will I get at the store to access the free 1GB iPad plan. Anything this non-std will loop them for sure. as my plans were set up separately. maybe I should remove my SIM? but I want to keep the 200 plan when the free 1GB plan promo is over.
anyone with this scenario?
I may go by the store but I usually try to avoid the Tmoids in person...

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
what about me, I have a voice Tmo plan on my iPhone, and the free 200 plan on my ipad Air. nothing was bought at Tmo except my iphone plan. I got the iPad SIM free from Tmo online a while back and set up the free 200 plan myself.
How much of a hassle will I get at the store to access the free 1GB iPad plan. Anything this non-std will loop them for sure. as my plans were set up separately. maybe I should remove my SIM? but I want to keep the 200 plan when the free 1GB plan promo is over.
anyone with this scenario?
I may go by the store but I usually try to avoid the Tmoids in person...

When I bought my iPad rMini at T-Mobile they set up both the $10 1gb plan and the 200mb free plan.

On my account summary page it shows the 200mb first. Once that is used up my 1gb starts.

Since you are a voice customer you should get the 1gb (and 200mb) for free, but they have to be on the same account as far as I know.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
When I bought my iPad rMini at T-Mobile they set up both the $10 1gb plan and the 200mb free plan.

On my account summary page it shows the 200mb first. Once that is used up my 1gb starts.

Since you are a voice customer you should get the 1gb (and 200mb) for free, but they have to be on the same account as far as I know.

Where on your account summary page do you see the 1GB of data? When I log into, mim.t-mobile.com on my computer, I just see the active plan as:

200 MB/30 day Free for Life.
71 MB Used/ 129 MB left for 25 days

Once that is used, will I them see the 1GB plan? I did an online chat with T-Mobile and they assure me I am signed up for the 1GB plan, but I am not seeing that information.

Thanks!

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Went to Tmo store, they said I have to call Tmo, the 1gb offer is not in store. Seems pretty stupid since I set up my Tmo voice acct at this store.
I have one unused sim and the current activated 200mb plan one in the iPad now. But I'm guessing they have to set up a new Sim tied to my voice acct I already have. Will call today.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Once that is used, will I them see the 1GB plan? I did an online chat with T-Mobile and they assure me I am signed up for the 1GB plan, but I am not seeing that information.

Thanks!

Yes. Mine showed the 200mb last week. I checked yesterday and it is now showing the 1gb.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Went to Tmo store, they said I have to call Tmo, the 1gb offer is not in store. Seems pretty stupid since I set up my Tmo voice acct at this store.
I have one unused sim and the current activated 200mb plan one in the iPad now. But I'm guessing they have to set up a new Sim tied to my voice acct I already have. Will call today.

Um, whoever told you that lied. The plan is offered in the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.