So whats the average age of macbook pro users...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brosmooth, Apr 19, 2009.

1. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

Ive been thinking of selling my macbook on ebay and trying to get hopefully 1300........ i would like, thats still 100 savings from tax plus 130 from live cashback, anyhow i was thinking of selling it to get a macbook pro because of the better screen, bigger screen..., better graphics card since i game a little, and the better speakers. But im not a pro, most things I read online say how great the macbook is and i agree, and they say the macbook pro is for well pros... but i just kinda want something better.

So what do you use it for, im only 18 and dont really need it, anyone else out there who just kinda uses it for everyday stuff and a little gaming or w.e, please justify wanting it :)

also, with cashback you can get a new pro for around 1550 on ebay which would be amazing, thats cheaper than the 2.4 macbook

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I'm 19 and have had my macbook pro for a little over a year. I use it to game (when my iMac won't play nice with a certain game), I use it for Auto Cad, Rhinoceros 3D, 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Word Processing, email, AIM, browsing the net... basically for everything. It has been the most reliable machine, even after I opened the thing to put in a larger hard drive (it's the old aluminum style one). There is no age constraint for this machine, it's a question of: "do I have the money for this thing". I bought mine from newegg.com and financed it, finally payed the thing off early this year.

Full specs: 15" 2.2 GHZ Core 2 Duo 4 MB L2 Cache, 4 GB of 667MHZ RAM, 800MHZ FSB, 320 GB HD: Half OS 10.5.6, other half XP SP3 32-bit, nVidia 8600m GT with 128mb of vram, Santa Rosa chipset.

3. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Well, let me be the first to bump up the average. I'm a refurb-spec 37 years old and with 2 MBPs to show for it. :) Great machines - as an IT professional I switched to Mac 3 years ago and won't be looking back. I do game on it too, so go ahead and take my post as a recommendation to buy!

4. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Mid-range

Third MBP at 28, first one purchased at 23 (Powerbook)

I am a Surgical trainee and use it for presentations, the iLife package - creating examination DVD's etc, iTunes of course and also for Osirix which is fantastic for MRI/CT viewing

It is probably more than I needed but I wanted the 15inch screen and this was simply the only model. My last MBP first gen intel lasted three years so I think although initially expensive on a day-day basis they are much better value than any PC esp with software included involved....and of course if you really wanted windows - you can....

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have seen people of all ages from 18 year olds to senior citizens use Macbook Pros and Powerbooks.

6. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I would say 25 area 40 's is probley the oldest.

8. esserdk macrumors member

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You're not a senior citizen. I had a guy in class that was 57, which is much, much older than you. ;)

He could get the Denny's senior discount!

10. ipaqowner macrumors member

I can do better than that...60 :D

11. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I got my first Penryn MBP from my dad for my 15th birthday last summer, then sold it to my mom and upgraded to my current Unibody MBP. Love it to death.

13. kolax macrumors G3

21.. been using a MacBook Pro for 2 and a half years. Recently managed to upgrade to the Unibody model.

Reason for getting a MBP instead of a MB was for the dedicated GPU and better screen quality. Plus the MBP looked a lot sexier than the MB.

14. epyfa macrumors regular

I switched from a white MacBook to a MacBook Pro (4,1) when I was 15.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

19. Been through two macbook pros (dented first one and wanted to upgrade to a quicker model anyway). Its paid for itself over time via photography and I used it at my last employer (a fortune 500 company) who was surprisingly liberal about people using their own machines on the corp network. The only thing I did was remote around into other machines so I guess it didn't matter. I've since purchased a 20" acd and intel x-25m. After I get some additional high speed storage (g-raid mini) I probably won't upgrade until Apple puts FW3200 or eSATA on their machines .

Here in seattle i've encountered a large number of powerbooks since most people are working on college papers anyway, and the resale market is robust. You'll also notice the older crowd using PB/MBP especially the consultant/professional types. I'm yet to encounter a UMBP in the wild except once.

16. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

30's when I bought my first MBP. If I were to do it over again today I may have gotten the MB + external display.

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm a 20 year old college student. I got the MBP for the 15" screen, which makes typing papers easier. I also got it for the graphics card, thinking I would have time to play some games... but that was way wrong.

18. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Just turned 42. MBP 2.2 etc... first Laptop Powerbook 145b... So I go back a ways... :)

19. RKpro macrumors 6502

I'm 20, and got my first mbp when the unibodies were released. It costed me a lot of beer money, but it's worth it. I'm not using it to it's full "pro" potential by any means, I would have been fine with a while macbook, but I wanted the bigger screen.

20. brentsg macrumors 68030

Why would you put an upper bracket on it? Is there some age limit to wanting a nice computer?

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

24. use it primarily for Pro Tools and Logic Studio audio editing and mixing. if you are going to be doing anything computer related when you go to college i would recommend getting the pro. or if you just want to get it. they're not not going to sell it to you just because you might not use it as a "Pro." if you want it buy it.

22. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I'm 18 and I'm on my second MBP, Also just picked up a 2.93Ghz Quad MP.

I use them mainly for CS4, Final Cut Studio, and Aperture.

23. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

25. magamo macrumors 6502

Yeah, don't let age deter you from a sexy computer. I know a few professors at my university who are around 60 and using MacBook Pro.