Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Yes, of course. A high-res display was the only thing that I thought was missing. Now that it's here, it matters to me, so I'll be getting an entry level wifi model most likely.

zp3dd4

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Changing an expensive device like an iPad2 yearly is waste of money..my next buy will be a new computer

As long as you resell it after every year, it becomes a cost of ownership of around $100 - $150 per year. A computer that you might buy for over 2-3 years will loose value much faster.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Yes, and since I have a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot from work, I will have a 4G iPad regardless if Apple offers it or not :)

jlar4

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
SLC
I sold my iPad 2 to my father in law. It's his first Apple anything. Its nice to see a windows guy start to switch to the better side. This lets me upgrade to the 3! Can't wait for March.

----------

As long as you resell it after every year, it becomes a cost of ownership of around $100 - $150 per year. A computer that you might buy for over 2-3 years will loose value much faster.

I've found that if you keep a case on it and have a nice screen protector you can usually sell it for 50-75 less than what you paid for it. I recently sold my wife's iPad 2 16gig wifi for 425. Not a bad idea to upgrade to every year for a small rental fee.

Last edited:

Lya

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I'm buying the iPad 3 once a jailbreak is released. I got the iPhone 4S on launch day, I won't make the same mistake twice.

SammyDFG

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I've posted my ipad 2 on craigslist and have a buyer. It's going to suck not having a tablet.

If the March 7 announcement date is true, how long is it after until we can purchase the iPad 3? Does announcement = release date? Kind of confused about how Apple does things.

Thanks

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I'll be buying one to replace the original I bought 2 years ago. At the time, I felt by iPad 3 we'd have retina, so it's nice to see that prediction look like it's coming true.

If the March 7 announcement date is true, how long is it after until we can purchase the iPad 3? Does announcement = release date? Kind of confused about how Apple does things.

Typically there is a couple of weeks or so between the announcement and the public availability (in US and a handful of other countries) for most Apple products. Gives them time to prep the stores, get review units out to the press so they can publish a review the day it becomes available, etc.

wilfried

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
I won't, since I just got my iPad 2 in January. A friend offered it to me for half price (32gb with 3g for $365; he got it as a bonus from a client, and didn't need it), and I couldn't resist. It does everything it does just fine, so there's no reason I need a 3 (in the end, I don't need an iPad at all, but now I wouldn't want to live without one), but I know I'm going to lust after the retina screen.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
I hope to get mine on day 1. This time I do plan on getting a 3G/LTE model with 32GB. 16GB just isn't enough and I've often found myself WIFI-less.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No I won’t as I’m happy with my ipad 2, does everything i want it to...which is mainly using the internet for basketball and general sport news. Don’t play any games on it...even though I have downloaded infinity blade and real racing. I should play more on there but havn’t done so lately...so i use my ipad just for internet and youtube.

Getting married this year so certainly can’t afford one....it does sound great though. Guess it depends how badly you want to see a retina display.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Not going to fall for the retina display hype. I'll probably end up buying the iPad 4 or 5. I don't really want to upgrade my original iPad as I've only had it around a year.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
I would upgrade if it has more ram and faster. Retina display would not be the reason as I can always zoom in to read.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm going to try to exert some will power and wait until the AT&T LTE rollout here in Tampa. I'd love the other improvements (high res screen and quad core processor) but the high speed data is most attractive.

That being said, you'll probably find me in line at the local Apple store on launch day...:D

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
For a screen as high res as has been reported? I'm all over that!
I'm never short of buyers for my iPhones and iPads, so it's all good.

I needs my iPride. :D

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I live in the UK, but I will be working in New York (10 minutes from the Apple store on 5th Avenue), either W/C the 12th of March or the 19th of March.

I suspect stocks would be like rocking horse poo, but I was planning to get a UK 16 gig WiFi model, but I'm wondering if I could maybe take advantage of being in NY and get a 32 gig WiFi or a 16 gig 3G model for roughly the same money as a UK 16 gig WiFi model?

Does anyone remember what stock levels were like in the US for the iPad 2 launch and what price they were in dollars?

Cheers.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Already sold my iPad 2, so probably. I really like the iPhone 4S display, so if the iPad 3 is as clear, I'm in. I'd prefer a 32GB 3G/LTE version, but I may settle for a 32GB wifi.

Is it March 7th yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.