Some m7/512MB Gaming Results in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mathias Denichi, May 3, 2016.

1. Mathias Denichi, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

I received my Rose Gold Macbook with m7/512GB. I wanted to share my gaming results in bootcamp as well as take any requests for game title fps.

As a tip, you can buy legal discounted copies of windows 10 at this site - http://microsoftsale.org
    I really suggest installing bootcamp for most any game for better FPS.

All game FPS is tested at 1440x900 resolution and High Power Mode.

Smite Low - 56 FPS - Med 43 FPS - High 33FPS
    Minecraft Max Solid 50-65 Fps
    Ark Survival Evolved Low 20fps
    Counter Strike Source and TF2 any where from 150-200 FPS on High
    Rocket League - Low 60fps - Med 45fps - High 28 Fps
    Left for Dead - 60-150 Fps - All settings
    Diablo 3 - 25-30 FPS on high, low shadows.
    GTA V - about 28-33 FPS on Med, but it throttles a bit to 15-28 in high pop areas.
    Heroes of the Storm - around the same as Diablo 3, 25-30Fps but lags on effects. Probably smoother to 50 fps on everything at low.
    Sims 3 - 50 FPS
    WoW - 50FPS on Good, 23 on Ultra

New
    CS:GO - 35-55FPS on All Low, 25-35 FPS on Med-High
    XCOM - 25FPS on Ultra or Low, doesn't change.
    COD MWF2 - High 38 FPS
    Runescape 45fps High
    Unturned 31fps All high except foliage and no AA
    Diablo 2 - 250FPS

Adding more as requests come...

2. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

3. ffnc1020 macrumors member

4. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Diablo 3? Heroes of the Storm? SimCity? StarCraft?

5. Voley macrumors regular

6. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Thanks for the info. Question though - what is your methodology?

I'm not terribly scared of throttling but it'd be nice to know if say, after 30 minutes of CSGO, the framerate drops below 60 consistently and becomes a nightmare to play.

Cheers

7. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

I pretty much play each game for about an hour and record the FPS averages. What I'm posting is about the highest you can go with the graphics with it being playable.

8. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

This is great, you're thorough and informative, good job.
    Just going to repeat my earlier wishes:

Deus Ex Human Revolution.
    Dishonored.
    Dawn of War 2.
    Supreme Commander.
    Fallout New Vegas.

9. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I've never gamed on my MacBook ( I do on my PC), but quite a long time ago I tried running a few games (MMOs and one FPS) on an 11" MacBook Air. While the games were playable with whatever appropriate settings at the time, the chassis got incredibly hot. Too hot to comfortably use the keyboard. Just curious as to how the 12" MacBook does with heat after that long pushing the CPU. Admittedly, I really don't push my macBook too hard. Most of the Apps I run are pretty bursty CPU-wise. Probably the hardest thing I do on it is Time Machine Backups.

10. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Was WoW tested in a raid/dungeon or what did you do while logged in?
    Also second Cities Skylines :)

11. masterpace macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing those benchmarks. As happyslayer, I'm wondering how does the 2016 MacBook deal with heat and throttling. There's no active cooling system plus the chassis is really tiny. On my 2015 MacBook, I cannot even play Skyrim on low at 720p (15-20 fps) for instance. Please post some more data.

12. Serban Suspended

13. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Have to ask for Civilisation 5, I'm sure it would be quite popular.

14. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

15. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

Yeah I asked for this in the other thread too. I don't expect this one guy to review every game but if anyone has civ 5 and any kind of the 2016 macbook I would really appreciate it. The quickest way to test it would be to open a save file from the modern era to see how it performs. It can get pretty cpu intensive in the late game.

16. dylan101 macrumors newbie

Really curious to see how cs go runs! My call on buying the machine depends on it's ability to handel some casual cs go gameplay. Preferably 50+ fps.

17. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

CS:GO - 35-55FPS on All Low, 25-35 FPS on Med-High
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2016 ---
    This was tested in BGs mainly. Arathi like majority of the time. Im sure it will be a bit laggy in raids, but then it will feel retro again. As far as main gaming machine, no, but its a great machine on the go.
    I'd like to, but unfortunately don't have it. Ill see if someone can share me their steam account under family.

18. dylan101 macrumors newbie

Does the fps drop below that after a while? And I assume it was on 900 resolution?

19. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

The heat isn't bad really. Its a bit less than the 2015 rMB (I have both). Its too small to sterilize you as well being closer to the kneecaps. For 1+ hour gaming, I would still probably use a desk or surface to put it on though.
    Nope this is the FPS after 1 hour. It actually starts low when you first boot the game, then evens out after about 1 min to 35-55fps, closer to the 50ish area.

20. masterpace macrumors regular

That's great you own both 2015 and 2016 models to compare. I own the 2015 one and throttling kicks in after only a few minutes of gaming. That translates in about 50 % (or more) fps drop. So, how does the 2016 model behaves in that manner? Have you compared a game on both 2015 and 2015 Macbook? Do you think the performance boost on the 2016 is worthwhile an upgrade?

21. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

Def a worthwhile upgrade. Im seeing a majority of my games actually playable now, which was my main beef with the 2015 version.Not that I'm using this as a gaming machine, I have a system with sli 980tis for that. I did however want to be able to play some games on low for trips.

I was going to wait until the rMBP refresh, but didn't want to set myself up for disappointment, and my iPad pro wasn't cutting it as my only mobile device. And the surface pro 4 and surface book had their fair share of glitches and low battery life.

The throttling is different on this machine, id say it starts slow the first minute but then evens very nicely and cools while running long term.

22. masterpace macrumors regular

Too bad I've owned my 2015 model for 3 months only. If I knew... So, you're saying that the performance is day and night (gaming wise)? Also, throtlling much more subtul? Any other benchmarks or numbers?

23. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

Gaming wise, yes. Actually its pretty significant in Photoshop and InDesign from what I'm seeing as well. If it were me, id probably either see if I can exchange or resell it and buy the 2016.

24. masterpace macrumors regular

Thanks for the advices. However, I'll have to forget about making an exchange after three months. Here in Canada, the usual return period is 14 days (not 30 days like in the US). Plus, the new Macbook has just been released. I guess I'll have to sell the 2015 one. I have the 512gb model. I'll have to swallow a huge loss (2016 512gb model is about 2050 $ CDN with taxes for EPP discount). I might get 1000 $ for the 2015 one (512gb).

Please post some other real world benchmarks. Thanks.

25. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

Personally, I would wait till next year.