Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jpsaffron macrumors newbie

A reboot did indeed fix it for me. It asked me to sign back in to the app store, said it was verifying the app, and then updated the certificate chain:

$ openssl pkcs7 -inform der -in /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt -print_certs -text
    Certificate:
    Data:
    Version: 3 (0x2)
    Serial Number:
    52:a4:b9:c5:e1:b1:18:81
    Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
    Issuer: C=US, O=Apple Inc., OU=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations, CN=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority
    Validity
    Not Before: Sep 24 19:09:31 2015 GMT
    Not After : Oct 23 19:09:31 2017 GMT
    Subject: CN=Mac App Store and iTunes Store Receipt Signing, OU=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations, O=Apple Inc., C=US

2. nt5672 macrumors 68000

The good news for me is it only keeps me from using Apple apps as they are the only mac app store apps I have.

3. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

It is a big deal when some apps won't even launch. It's a bigger deal when uninstalling and reinstalling those apps, signing out and signing back in, booting in safe mode, and rebooting over and over again doesn't make them work again.

4. Jim L macrumors regular

It just **works**! ;);)

Really though --
    Where's the quality that goes with the premium price we paid? Oh yeah, we got that super-slimmed down <insert device name here>.

Apple's brand image is in the toilet as far as I'm concerned.

This is major issue #5 for El Cap that I'm experiencing. Seriously considering rolling back to Yosemite.

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

I was getting this with VLC when I tried to run it, but then it just stopped after I told it to accept all apps. I know where I get all my apps from.

6. dammerl macrumors regular

dammerl

Sorry, couldn’t find that bit. Is it the “ha..ha..ha....” in line 3?

7. citysnaps macrumors 601

Zero issues here with El Cap, and on four machines.

8. SmallDane macrumors member

SmallDane

I had the same problem with 1Password and Screenium. With 1Password it was easily solved by entering my Apple ID password. However, with Screenium nothing worked. I tried everything including a completely fresh install of El Capitan!

I wrote to the developers of Screenium who offered me to download a non-AppStore version that works fine. Very good service considering that this is clearly Apple's fault.

9. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Similar experience today with the Battery Health app on my MacBook Air/El Capitan.

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

For anyone getting the sign-in prompts saying your purchase was made with another computer - you can solve this by opening the Mac App Store app, clicking on your name and signing in. This worked for me on 2 machines. Once doing that, all the apps opened fine.

-Kevin

12. Sabretooth78 macrumors member

Sabretooth78

13. adamjackson macrumors 68000

I honestly thought this was just me with this issue. I ran XSlimmer last night when I left the office and woke up and couldn't open MarsEdit or Reeder for Mac.

I restarted, issue persisted.

uninstalled all Mac App Store apps from the last 3 years, reinstalled all of the ones I still use (thanks Apple for the force housecleaning)

Everything is working fine now.

14. joueboy macrumors 68000

I probably have the same issue with DropZone because I was prompted to type the password. So I just ignored I'm too lazy because I don't remember my password and have to open my 1Password. Besides I hardly use the app so that's one of the reason why I just ignored it too.

15. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Apple is doomed.

Can't even get El Capitan to work. I guess if you did a restore from Internet, it also gets this problem from MAS.

Windows 10 is looking great.

16. bernuli macrumors 6502a

Happened to me. Reboot fixed it. Pretty annoying. Wish I could still buy software on CD.

17. VeryVito macrumors regular

VeryVito

Had this issue with DaisyDisk on El Capitan yesterday, too. The Mac App Store is really beginning to feel like a house of cards now.

18. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 has been affected ever since this morning on all of my machines. I don't use this app very often but luck would have it that I am building a site this week and just cannot live without it. I have got it up and running on an old macbook, before I booted it up I switch off the wifi connection. It kicked and screamed at me but I was able to ignore error messages and get on.

Fix please Apple

19. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

20. joueboy macrumors 68000

I don't deny the fact that someone here would hate this comment. But denying that you don't hate is ignorant. You're just like people who ignite and then deny it that you're not involved. Besides we're talking about OS X here so it's not relevant. Most likely people are mad at you, because how stupid you are talking different from the topic.

21. helpsaverivers macrumors newbie

I had this problem with BBEdit. I found that deleting the app from my computer and redownloading from the App Store fixed the problem. It did not loose state and reopened with the same files I had opened before the problem.

22. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

A question, if I may: Is it a requirement that MAS apps contact Apple before opening?

23. jdrouette macrumors newbie

Billings 3 is still not working on 10.10.5, even after a sign out, delete, reboot and re-install. Frustrating!

24. samcraig macrumors P6

This is why as great as an appstore is to consolidate all your downloading/updated of software, I still prefer to be able to buy direct so that I'm not reliant on Apple's cloud services/etc to run them. Oh I still buy from the app store. But I do prefer to buy direct.

25. arpi, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

arpi macrumors newbie

arpi

Have the same problem with Tweetbot (doesnt even open). I guess time to move away from the apple store.