Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

valvano

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Been reading Macrumors for years, but this article finally made me set up an account...

This issues has killed my Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. Got the log in prompt shown above, then the error message about the app being broken. Deleted and reinstalled multiple time with same problem. Was on tech chat with Adobe but cant get to serial number!!! Glad to see now the problem is on Mac's App Store end, hopeful for a quick fix. I use PSE10 daily!!

konqerror

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2013
This is yet another Apple services fail. What happens if you're outside of Internet access, say you're going to give a presentation?

The cert is valid for 5 years, so they should make the system automatically refresh when the cert has a year or even 6 months left to go.

Even Microsoft's DRM is better than Apple's. For time-limited (corporate) activation, it starts trying to contact the activation server after a month, but will let you go 6 months without locking you out.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008

A growing number of MacRumors readers and Twitter users have been experiencing an issue with some Mac App Store apps displaying a "damaged" error when opened since late Wednesday. The issue has affected popular apps such as 1Password, Acorn, Byword, DaisyDisk and Tweetbot.

It appears that Apple has since set a new 2035 expiration date for the security certificates, at least some for apps, but the issues are persisting for some. Apple did not respond to request for comment.

Article Link: Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificates

I had this stupid issue - I thought it was because I just did a restore on my Mac. Wow - Apple needs to fix their stuff - starting to feel like Windows (and Windows is much more stable now with Windows 10).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Have the same problem with Tweetbot (doesnt even open). I guess time to move away from the apple store.
One hiccup and you're ready to walk away from the conveniences of the App Store? A little rash, IMO. Do you uninstall any app that ever crashes?

A reboot fixed it for me on El Capitan. Had to log back into the App store.

arpi

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
One hiccup and you're ready to walk away from the conveniences of the App Store? A little rash, IMO. Do you uninstall any app that ever crashes?

A reboot fixed it for me on El Capitan. Had to log back into the App store.
Yes I reinstalled. No go. And this is not a hiccup. And honsetly it is not that convenient when there are soo many problems recently (updates showing up multiple times, prev purchased apps don't download, unknown errors). I rather store serial numbers and just reinstall apps manually then to use an app for 2 years then they stop working because Apple decided for me to upgrade my machine's OS to a slower one.

Reactions: Elbon and OLDCODGER

SP Jon M3

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
I'm running El Cap 10.11.1 and I had the problem with 1Password. After a reboot I tried launching 1Password again, then was prompted for my iTunes account info. iTunes stated that the app had been purchased on another computer and that I needed to authenticate the computer I was working on. After entering my iTunes credentials 1Password lunched just fine.

ifarlow

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
I rather store serial numbers and just reinstall apps manually then to use an app for 2 years then they stop working because Apple decided for me to upgrade my machine's OS to a slower one.
I'm all in for believing that Apple screwed the pooch with regards to expired and/or corrupted certificates, but I stop short of understanding how Apple forced you to upgrade the OS on your computer.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
I had the same issues, even a reboot would not fix. I had to sign in (as it requested) to fix.

Apple probably have some big issues somewhere (I know someone has posted here about the certificate expiring on an app). Not good either way
You know, just remembered that y'day I got a prompt on iPhone and iPad to log in to iCloud too! Like the one which we get if we restart the device, except I had not! It messed with my iMessage for a while, but a quick log in fixed that too. Just glad that it's not some sort of ID hack. ( at least I hope not )

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
It just **works**! ;);)

Really though --
Where's the quality that goes with the premium price we paid? Oh yeah, we got that super-slimmed down <insert device name here>.

Apple's brand image is in the toilet as far as I'm concerned.

This is major issue #5 for El Cap that I'm experiencing. Seriously considering rolling back to Yosemite.
I agree, El Capitan is Beta quality at the moment. My guess is it will take 3 or 4 updates before most of the bugs are gone.

El Cap is 100% not beta quality. Yosemite, maybe, but El Cap is smooth and reliable, like Snow Leopard
El Capitan is currently nowhere as reliable as Snow Leopard is. Maybe if Apple updates it for two years it will be as stable. Take a look at this thread for details.

As for the topic, fortunately I am not using any App Store software, all of my software is purchased directly from developers and because of that I have no issues. Given the number of problems in App Store over the years it seems I made the right choice! :D

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Yes I reinstalled. No go. And this is not a hiccup. And honsetly it is not that convenient when there are soo many problems recently (updates showing up multiple times, prev purchased apps don't download, unknown errors). I rather store serial numbers and just reinstall apps manually then to use an app for 2 years then they stop working because Apple decided for me to upgrade my machine's OS to a slower one.
Hey, do what you feel is best for you. I wasn't asking you if you reinstalled the app. I was asking if your reaction to an app that crashes is as extreme as your reaction to this hiccup. And yes, this is a hiccup. A hiccup that is fixed by rebooting your machine.

As far as your statement that "Apple decided for me to upgrade my machine's OS to a slower one..." that statement alone exhibits either a bias on your part, an ignorance on your part, or both. Apple did not force you to upgrade to anything. If you decided to upgrade to El Capitan (or any other OS X version) you did so voluntarily. And if it's running slower for you than Yosemite you have some other issues. Because benchmarks have proven that is not true objectively.

But as I said, you do what you feel is best for you. As far as I'm concerned I will continue to enjoy the convenience and economic benefits of being able to easily install all of the apps I've purchased with one click whenever I bring up a new machine, or whenever an upgrade is available, without having to buy multiple licenses for multiple machines. And I won't blast Chicken Little posts on the interwebs when a hiccup occurs, telling people it's time to run for the exits.

mindquest

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Still on 10.9.5 using Tweetbot 1.6.2 and the app won't open. Just got word from Tweetbot directly that the app store caused this problem and there is nothing they can do. I will have to upgrade my OS since the older version of Tweetbot will no longer run. Not going to take the time to do that since I will be getting a new iMac next year and don't want to waste the hours. Not happy with Apple at this moment!! :mad:

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
This is why as great as an appstore is to consolidate all your downloading/updated of software, I still prefer to be able to buy direct so that I'm not reliant on Apple's cloud services/etc to run them. Oh I still buy from the app store. But I do prefer to buy direct.

I always buy direct given the choice, also you often get deals, discounts and extra features that way too.

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Same here. Running El Capitan. Last night I had two apps show up "damaged", and I reinstalled to fix. This morning I had 4 more, and logged out of the App Store and back in to fix. Annoying.
Same here with El Capitan, that should be downgraded to Corporal rank....
Fantastical and PopClip started to be damaged yesterday , I'm afraid to launch other apps downloaded from the MacApp store

Last edited:

DavidR.

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Been reading Macrumors for years, but this article finally made me set up an account...

This issues has killed my Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. Got the log in prompt shown above, then the error message about the app being broken. Deleted and reinstalled multiple time with same problem. Was on tech chat with Adobe but cant get to serial number!!! Glad to see now the problem is on Mac's App Store end, hopeful for a quick fix. I use PSE10 daily!!
Yep. EXACTLY the same experience for me with Elements 11 . . . and this article made me set up an account!

DavidR.

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
Yep. EXACTLY the same experience for me with Elements 11 . . . and this article made me set up an account!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I had this stupid issue - I thought it was because I just did a restore on my Mac. Wow - Apple needs to fix their stuff - starting to feel like Windows (and Windows is much more stable now with Windows 10).
Ironic. I have a mac because of the perceived stability, everyone else I know have windows including the wife and 3 kids. Since 10 came out I am the one with the less stable. I bootcamped 10 for a while and it was faster and more stable. Thinking about wiping osx and clean installing 10 on mine.

The mac apps I own are the only reason I havn't so far.