Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I would be willing to buy them again too since I get tired of digging out my DVD every time I need to reinstall. However, it won't let me buy them.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Uh.. be patient like myself and use the old version to get your homework done? Its not like your old version just stopped working..

3. KALLT macrumors 601

You could ask for a refund. I am sure they will be aware of the problem and issue a refund.

4. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

5. Oliver G macrumors regular

Both iPhoto and iMovie updated with no trouble, but software update is saying there is no update for GarageBand, anyone else having this problem?

This is on OS X, not iOS.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'd recommend people do *NOT* repurchase iWork if you have iWork 09 on DVD installed.

Most of the afternoon App Store showed $19.99 for me, so I just waited.

Now I restarted the store, and it showed them at "upgrade," so they were free finally and I had never bought them on App store.

This is pretty awesome of Apple!!! We used to spend a good chunk when new iLife and iWork came out!

Microsoft should have gotten Office in App Store sooner. Those who don't *HAVE* to have Office will not be buying it when these iWork Apps come on their computer.

7. Moles macrumors newbie

Delete them first

If you delete the app, then go to the Mac App Store, you can download it. This isn't an upgrade which stinks, but it appears to work. I only did so on iMovie and haven't had the guts to do iPhoto since I don't have a disk to put the app on with me, but hopefully someone else will prove me right.

8. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

The problem is that only some users get the free update from iWork '09 to the new iWork.

Me and you are using the same version of iWork right now, why do you get a free update and I don't? It is the same version!

9. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Did you happen installed on your computer? If that is so, then, Apple is finally doing justice to legacy users.

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The update didn't work earlier for my DVD installed iWork Suite. That appears to have been fixed within the last 30 mins. I just installed all the updates for free.

11. Sanford1988 macrumors newbie

New User

Just spoke with someone at Apple and this is what you need to do:

You need to create a new user under settings, standard account type is ok and just call it test. Log out and log into new account. Go to system updates and there they are. Once completed you can delete the test account. Hope this helps

12. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

no

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

As of this morning, the versions of iLife and iWork on the Mac App Store were identical to the physical versions. So if I purchased these Apps from the Mac App Store this morning, I update for free, or if I purchase these Apps back on January 6, 2011, I'm entitled to a free update to this new version, yet if I purchased these SAME darn apps on physical media from Apple between October 20, 2010 - July 20, 2011 (iLife) or January 6, 2009- July 20, 2011 (iWork) I should be excluded and forced to pay for the apps again? Are you serious?

(July 20, 2011, Apple discontinued the physical media distribution for iLife and iWork, as well as their other software)

14. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

Worked for me thanks!!!

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

As I stated, I got the free updates now even though I came from DVD purchase in 2009.

However...the new apps didn't appear in my dock for iWork.

I had to trash the old versions and move the new versions into the dock (AFTER UPGRADING). Do not delete the old apps before you get the new one or App Store will never see it.

16. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Can you please stop posting this in all the iLife/iWork threads. Please, and I'm saying this nicely, but you are 100% wrong on this.

The updates are free, regardless if you have iLife '11 or iWork '09 through DVD or MAS. The update will show for some users, but if not the solution to get the Apps updated at this point in time is to create a new "Administrator" account and running Software Update through the new account and deleting the temp account afterwards. Until Apple fixes this issue on their side this is a way for users to update their iLife/iWork apps to the latest version.

I have done this update on 3 machines, all with clean 10.9 installs and brand new installs of iLife and iWork using my previously purchased DVD install medias.

17. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Odd...

I have iWork '09 and iLife both on Retail DVD. The Mac App Store allowed me to update Garage Band for free, but is asking me to pay for all other apps....

18. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Create a new admin user account. Run Software Update via newly created account. You will see the updates.

19. opo101 macrumors member

Here's a fix.

Go to system preferences & create a new user for your Mac. Make it am admin account. Login to that account, run software update & voila, iWork & iLife will be there.

20. richhh macrumors newbie

I ran into this problem too, but logged out of Mac App Store, quit it, reopened and signed back in and all the updates were available to download.

21. bigsteve macrumors member

Working now

Earlier today, the Mac App store was asking me to purchase the iLife apps. I quit the store and re-opened it and now it says I can upgrade for free!! GREAT JOB FIXING THIS QUICKLY APPLE!

22. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

This is really weird, especially since I can download 'Garageband' for free, but I would have to buy iMovie & iPhoto.

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. Msan macrumors newbie

worked perfect thanks!

24. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Did this and it worked. Thanks man!
    [​IMG]

25. bigsteve macrumors member

Not sure you really need to do something this drastic. All I needed to do was quit the App Store and then reopen it. At least try that first before creating the new user account etc.