Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I've had my iWork since '09. So you mean to tell me I can't get these updates and need to REPAY for them?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I've had my iWork since '09. So you mean to tell me I can't get these updates and need to REPAY for them?

I bought iWork on disc last summer and my programs just updated. They weren't updating earlier this evening so maybe they recently fixed the problem.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Same here. I have always bought the iLife updates until 09 then I was able to get them via direct downloads but the App store never showed them as being purchased. I guess I am out of luck also unless there is a direct download or some way to get it to see that we have already purchased it. I paid $79 or $99 for the family pack.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Either log in and out from App store or use guess account to check for updates. You'll get 'em all free.

----------

This bug doesn't only affect iLife and iWork apps. Neither Xcode nor iBooks author showed up as updates either till I did the same workarounds.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Nice little trick there with the new admin user. Worked like a charm on a 21.5" 2011 iMac and a 27" 2012 iMac.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
So this worked for me:

1. Go to Mac App Store (MAS) > Click on Store > Check for Unfinished Downloads

2. You will have to enter your iCloud ID

3. Once complete, all the iWorks and iLife apps showed that they could be updated instead of bought.
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-22%20at%2011.02.10%20PM.png

4. But you need to individually click into each application > Click update > enter in your iCloud user/pass and then it will start updating
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-22%20at%2011.06.12%20PM.png

Hopefully this works for people, it worked for me. Before I did all of this I had restarted my computer, but I doubt that had anything to do with it since when I went back into MAS the iWork and iLife suite still said I had to buy etc.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Having the same issues I tried:

- Uninstalling and removing any left overs, rebooted, cleared caches, reinstalled, checked again, nada, rebooted, checked again, nada.

- Logged out of MAS, logged in, BAM! Even got the Aperture update.

This happened to a few others I know and two other Mac's I own.

Note: Adding an Admin account and logging in on that account is a similar work around to logging out/in to the App Store, just, more (i)work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 11.11.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 11.11.20 PM.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 120

JTR555

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
Virginia
Either log in and out from App store or use guess account to check for updates. You'll get 'em all free.

----------

This bug doesn't only affect iLife and iWork apps. Neither Xcode nor iBooks author showed up as updates either till I did the same workarounds.

As soon as I logged out of the App Store and logged back in, all the updates were available to me even though I had originally purchased them on disk or they had come with my Mac Book Pro.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
This really surprised me! From the keynote it wasn't clear that customers that bought prior to App Store would get this.

I had to sign-out and when I signed-in all the software appeared under Updates.

I bought that Mac Box Set (with 10.6) way back when, and am very happy. This is a really nice move from Apple.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Still waiting here. Have tried all the tricks I have up my sleeve. Have also tried all that have been mentioned here. Well good thing I have patience, but been a long day of updates.

Have since been able to update by creating new admin account. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

bigtroop963

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Iwork ILife

I don't think there's anything that needs to be fixed.

If you have redeemed/bought iLife/iWork through the Mac App Store, you can update. If you haven't, you can't.

Hey guys don't get discouraged I just took a shot in the dark. I clicked on one of the paid new iwork apps a low and behold they all became free, of course granted your running latest version of both suites give it a try hope it helps I have downloaded nearly all for free and I was just in your boat. Like was stated below May have been what was stated below GarageBand was free hit it all others followed!

Last edited:

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Went through MAS and saw Garage Band for free...hit it and the rest popped up as updates! Happy Camper!:D

davecom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks singhjeet29, this solved my issue.

So this worked for me:

1. Go to Mac App Store (MAS) > Click on Store > Check for Unfinished Downloads

2. You will have to enter your iCloud ID

3. Once complete, all the iWorks and iLife apps showed that they could be updated instead of bought.

4. But you need to individually click into each application > Click update > enter in your iCloud user/pass and then it will start updating

Hopefully this works for people, it worked for me. Before I did all of this I had restarted my computer, but I doubt that had anything to do with it since when I went back into MAS the iWork and iLife suite still said I had to buy etc.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Signing out and signing in isn't working for me. :( I'll try making an
admin account.

Orchidkid

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
What worked for me is I use to have another user id that I logged on to iTunes with a few years ago.

I logged out of the app store and logged in using that id.

I was able to download all updates of iWork and iLife that I had on discs.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.