Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Logging out and back in to the MAS worked for me too. All free versions of iLife and iWork.

2. ndavid126 macrumors member

Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto & iMovie appeared in my updates just recently (within 30 minutes). You have to sign in to your apple ID so they can be added.

3. Razeus macrumors 603

I've had my iWork since '09. So you mean to tell me I can't get these updates and need to REPAY for them?

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No. Apple is working on it. Some folks say it is working. Try logging out (uncheck the restore windows) and then log back in, and check for updates.

5. cgriffis753 macrumors regular

cgriffis753

iWork for iCloud! :)

6. lgwells1 macrumors 6502

lgwells1

Logged out and logging back into Mac App Store fixed the iWork Update Issue. Thanks!

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I bought iWork on disc last summer and my programs just updated. They weren't updating earlier this evening so maybe they recently fixed the problem.

8. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Same here. I have always bought the iLife updates until 09 then I was able to get them via direct downloads but the App store never showed them as being purchased. I guess I am out of luck also unless there is a direct download or some way to get it to see that we have already purchased it. I paid $79 or $99 for the family pack.

9. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Either log in and out from App store or use guess account to check for updates. You'll get 'em all free.

----------

This bug doesn't only affect iLife and iWork apps. Neither Xcode nor iBooks author showed up as updates either till I did the same workarounds.

10. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

works for me. thanks

12. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

Nice little trick there with the new admin user. Worked like a charm on a 21.5" 2011 iMac and a 27" 2012 iMac.

13. singhjeet29, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

singhjeet29 macrumors regular

So this worked for me:

1. Go to Mac App Store (MAS) > Click on Store > Check for Unfinished Downloads

2. You will have to enter your iCloud ID

3. Once complete, all the iWorks and iLife apps showed that they could be updated instead of bought.
    [​IMG]

4. But you need to individually click into each application > Click update > enter in your iCloud user/pass and then it will start updating
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this works for people, it worked for me. Before I did all of this I had restarted my computer, but I doubt that had anything to do with it since when I went back into MAS the iWork and iLife suite still said I had to buy etc.

14. 3282868 macrumors 603

Having the same issues I tried:

- Uninstalling and removing any left overs, rebooted, cleared caches, reinstalled, checked again, nada, rebooted, checked again, nada.

- Logged out of MAS, logged in, BAM! Even got the Aperture update.

This happened to a few others I know and two other Mac's I own.

Note: Adding an Admin account and logging in on that account is a similar work around to logging out/in to the App Store, just, more (i)work.

Attached Files:

15. JTR555 macrumors regular

JTR555

As soon as I logged out of the App Store and logged back in, all the updates were available to me even though I had originally purchased them on disk or they had come with my Mac Book Pro.

16. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

This really surprised me! From the keynote it wasn't clear that customers that bought prior to App Store would get this.

I had to sign-out and when I signed-in all the software appeared under Updates.

I bought that Mac Box Set (with 10.6) way back when, and am very happy. This is a really nice move from Apple.

17. firedept, Oct 22, 2013

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Still waiting here. Have tried all the tricks I have up my sleeve. Have also tried all that have been mentioned here. Well good thing I have patience, but been a long day of updates.

Have since been able to update by creating new admin account. Thanks for the tip!

18. bigtroop963, Oct 22, 2013

bigtroop963 macrumors newbie

Iwork ILife

Hey guys don't get discouraged I just took a shot in the dark. I clicked on one of the paid new iwork apps a low and behold they all became free, of course granted your running latest version of both suites give it a try hope it helps I have downloaded nearly all for free and I was just in your boat. Like was stated below May have been what was stated below GarageBand was free hit it all others followed!

19. hetrigger macrumors regular

hetrigger

Went through MAS and saw Garage Band for free...hit it and the rest popped up as updates! Happy Camper!:D

20. davecom macrumors member

Thanks singhjeet29, this solved my issue.

21. just1ed macrumors member

You just need to upgrade to Mavericks, and then install iWork 09 from your DVD. The new versions will show as upgrades for free on Mac App Store.

22. Razeus macrumors 603

Signing out and signing in isn't working for me. :( I'll try making an
    admin account.

23. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

My Mac Mini doesn't have a DVD drive...

24. Orchidkid macrumors newbie

What worked for me is I use to have another user id that I logged on to iTunes with a few years ago.

I logged out of the app store and logged in using that id.

I was able to download all updates of iWork and iLife that I had on discs.

Hope that helps.

25. brilliantthings, Oct 22, 2013

brilliantthings macrumors 6502

Being trying in ML. Need to upgrade to Mavericks. Feeling stupid.