Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MacGeek1987 macrumors regular

MacGeek1987

This did the trick for me too, thanks so much for the tip!:D

2. reden macrumors 6502a

My iLife/iWork all apps crash, crash, crash, can't open any of them.

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Downloading the Updates for mine now and mine came out a DVD Install.

4. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Worked great! Thanks for the idea! It's truly awesome Apple is starting to draw in new customers with free apps and OS X upgrades.

5. ryanmcv, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I was able to download the updates by signing out of the Mac App Store (Store -> Sign Out) and then signing back in. After signing back in, I went to the Updates tab and all 5 updates appeared.

It also appears that these apps will be added to your Mac App Store purchase history, so if/when you need to reinstall the iWork and iLife suites, you will not have to use the discs. You can simply download them directly from the App Store. Can anyone else confirm this?

Attached Files:

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

Try moving their associated plist files from your ~/Library/Preferences folder onto your desktop, then open the app's. It will reset its preferences to default. If that doesn't work, maybe it's a third party plugin?

7. portishead macrumors 65816

Now all my iWork apps show up, Aperture shows up, but FCPX still doesn't show up. Strange.

8. MacGeek1987 macrumors regular

MacGeek1987

Another user suggested going into the MAS, going to Store --> Check for Unfinished Downloads. Then go to Pages or whatever app your trying to update, and try again. This worked for me... good luck:D

9. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

What worked for me was logging out of my primary AppleID, logging into an older one, and the back into my primary one, and voila, all the updates were there. Hopes this helps someone!

10. RhythmGuru macrumors member

RhythmGuru

Worked

Worked for me as well

11. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Seems to be fixed, I had the same issues earlier but just now (all of a sudden) the updates have all showed up and are downloading now.

12. Sardonick007 macrumors regular

Sardonick007

Bought it once. Not buying it again. No reason to give it free to newbies and leave existing customers to pay for it again. It's bad enough with all the sterile UI and removal of all the stuff that I felt made it unique as an OS, they're not getting paid twice for those apps.

13. tdgrn macrumors 6502

tdgrn

This also worked for me, thanks for the tip!

14. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

This worked for me. Thanks.

15. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I wish I saw this earlier. I had iLife & iWork installed from DVD's. I ended up buying the apps on the Mac App Store. You think Apple will give me a refund?

16. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Yes. Call them.

17. jrcsh6, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657954

Easy, quick, proven, solution I'd found on another forum (linked) that helped me with this situation.

Here are the directions on what to do.

1.Go to system preferences. 2.Open up User and Groups. 3.Unlock the lock. 4. Press Plus sign. 5.Create a new account and put TEST in the Full Name area. Change new account to an Administrator. Don't put anything else in. Hit Create User. 6. Log out of your account and then log in to the new TEST account. 7. Go to software update where the Apple is on the top left. You will now see iPhoto and iMovie. 8.You have to install Garageband separately and it does install separately then older Garageband. You can keep both installed. 8. Log out of the TEST account and log into your account. Delete the TEST account, and you are all done. Now you will have all new installed.

18. portishead macrumors 65816

YOUR INFO IS LIKE 2 HOURS OLD!
    You don't need to do any of this, just sign out / sign in. Sorry for yelling.

19. 9000 macrumors 6502

Anyone with iWork '08 having problems with saving? Pages crashes every time for me. Luckily, I was able to install iWork '09.

20. Battlefield 2 macrumors member

Logging out of MAS and logging back in also fixed it for me.

21. dimdom macrumors member

none of those work for me. i only managed to update garageband (the only app that said FREE instead of a price tag for me) but no other updates popup :S

22. celebi23 macrumors regular

celebi23

I sent them an email from their support form thing. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow too though

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good stuff! I'd been dragging my heals upgrading our two Macs from Snow Leopard because of all the software I'd have to repurchase. But it also happens that FileMaker (a mission critical) is offering a BOGO until tomorrow, so basically I get two Macs upgraded to Mavericks, new iLife and iWork apps, all for $300.00!

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

How I got it to work...

By default, the DVD-installed version of iWork installed into "/Applications/iWork '09"

The App Store doesn't recognize that location. I merely moved my copies of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to the main /Applications folder, and App Store recognized them and allowed me to update for free.

25. Dambuster43 macrumors member

I purchased iWorks on 2006 for my then new G5 imac power pc. I updated it from a well known site 4 macs...to v9 and since then its been updated as they were made available. Today I had updates for Numbers, Pages, Keynote, but they did not update and remove the old apps...and still there in a folder and usable. The new versions were dropped into the Application folder in Alphabetical order.
    Now I need to find a use for them!