Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarthSnuggles

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
What exactly is stifling about the iPhone ?
With all the innovation going on in the cellphone market, you'd be hard pressed to find any stifling there... And where's the lock-in ? Which data can only be accessed by the iPhone ?

And which court in which case declared Apple guilty... of what exactly ?

No, seriously, try again.

All the apps that have been denied? (*cough Google voice *cough*) Blocking out alt browsers, disallowing anything that might be 'interpreted', denying boobies, etc.

The iPhone also definitely locks data away in a vault on the iPhone. Pulling the data from an individual app or having apps talk to each other seems to be non-happening.

The disallowing of Palm Pre to sync with iTunes?

Not as bad as Microsoft though...

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Just a bit of a side note... I checked out the base config... It's certainly not bad at 1899.... the 4500$ is the limited edition one... Sorta in the same realm as the overpriced 6000$ stealth macbook pro

Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Silver
13.1" display with scratch-resistant technology and 1600x900 resolution
128GB (128GBx1) Solid State Drive with RAID 0 Technology
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM) with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1066
CD/DVD Burner

for 1899... which I admit is far more than the 1499 for the 13 inch high end macbook pro, but it's less than the lowest end 15 inch one with a seperate graphics card. Downright affordable in that light. Granted it doesn't run mac os....

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
for 1899... which I admit is far more than the 1499 for the 13 inch high end macbook pro, but it's less than the lowest end 15 inch one with a seperate graphics card. Downright affordable in that light. Granted it doesn't run mac os....

How is it lower? The 330M beats the 9600M easily. The Core i5 processor is also more powerful than the C2D processor found in the MBP.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Do you remember how much USB 1.1 sucked when USB 2.0 got going?

Buying a computer now without USB 3.0, especially one you plan to keep for two or three years, is going to set you up for that same kind of suck.

USB 3.0 peripherals are shipping right now. It's downright foolish to think that they won't be everywhere within two years.

UM, usb 2.0 sucks now, and many years prior.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yeah for that price, it better be stacked, but pound for pound, if rather buy a MacBook pro, spend half that price and buy the following model MacBook pro with the money I didn't spend with the first purchase....

Or, using the same logic, you might opt to buy Dell Inspiron: much better value pound for pound, quarter that price and still save money for two more DELL laptops each with better specs than MacBook pro :D

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
Just a bit of a side note... I checked out the base config... It's certainly not bad at 1899.... the 4500$ is the limited edition one... Sorta in the same realm as the overpriced 6000$ stealth macbook pro

Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Silver
13.1" display with scratch-resistant technology and 1600x900 resolution
128GB (128GBx1) Solid State Drive with RAID 0 Technology
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM) with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1066
CD/DVD Burner

Still doesn't look like the Vaio S (also 13") is available in the US, but it's my alternative in Japan. There is an i5-540M version with discrete graphics and 4GB of RAM for 139,800 yen (about $1275 US). There's also an i7-620M version for 154,800 yen (about $1400 US).

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Why is everyone comparing this to a MBA? The Sony Z is 1.3" thick, more than 1/3 thicker than the thickest MBP.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why is everyone comparing this to a MBA? The Sony Z is 1.3" thick, more than 1/3 thicker than the thickest MBP.

There hardly, if any, portables/laptops out there that are the size of the MacBook Air. Comparisons are still valid based on size as well as weight - it all falls into one category. Also consider the question "how portable is it relative to..." depending on person.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
There hardly, if any, portables/laptops out there that are the size of the MacBook Air. Comparisons are still valid based on size as well as weight - it all falls into one category. Also consider the question "how portable is it relative to..." depending on person.

For me, thickness is more important than weight as far as portability goes. A pillow may be light but it's sure as hell not that portable. Something like the Adamo XPS is a better competitor to the MBA than the Vaio Z

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Because both fall into ultra-portable category. Portability mostly depends on screen size and weight (nobody really uses manila envelopes for carrying the laptops ;) ) and these two are very comparable (except for specs)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
For me, thickness is more important than weight as far as portability goes. A pillow may be light but it's sure as hell not that portable. The Adamo XPS is a better competitor to the MBA than the Vaio Z

Did you ever try to carry 8 lbs laptop? I bet you'd change your opinion.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Did you ever try to carry 8 lbs laptop? I bet you'd change your opinion.

Didn't say it wasn't important, but thickness is more important (to me, anyway). If I'm traveling with a laptop and taking it out several times a day, it's easier to take out something thin than something thick/clunky. I would guess that 95% of MBA or Dell Adamo users wouldn't be happy with a VAIO Z.

Also, Sony is known for wildly exaggerating battery life. I'll be surprised if this thing is able to get 2-3 hours with regular use. The easiest way to reduce weight is to just make the battery smaller. The battery is the heaviest component inside a laptop.

buddy1065

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Apple had better step up; the Z is new benchmark for all other ultralights. If Apple fails on their new versions, 13" MBP or MBA, it will be easy for me to choose the Z; I have a 15" MBP that will serve well as a desktop replacement; but the Z will be with me at all times.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Apple had better step up; the Z is new benchmark for all other ultralights. If Apple fails on their new versions, 13" MBP or MBA, it will be easy for me to choose the Z; I have a 15" MBP that will serve well as a desktop replacement; but the Z will be with me at all times.

And I am ready to buy.:D

Am I the only one bothered that this thing is up to 1.3" thick?

buddy1065

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Probably not but I want power and an interior drive for what I use my laptop for and 1.3 inches for me is no way an issue.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
What exactly is stifling about the iPhone ? With all the innovation going on in the cellphone market, you'd be hard pressed to find any stifling there... And where's the lock-in ? Which data can only be accessed by the iPhone ?

And which court in which case declared Apple guilty... of what exactly ?

No, seriously, try again.

You really don't see anything wrong with locking a computing platform to arbitrary and inconsistent "app approval process"? Pulling previously approved apps for no apparent reason (GV mobile)? Imposing weird and arbitrary SDK policies, essentially eliminating competition? Locking out developers from direct distribution of their apps to consumers? Or how about promoting Gestapo like secrecy and paranoia, leading its supplier employees to suicide?

You don't see a problem with any of these, but all you can think of is a 10 year old court case? Just wow.

rva1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Looks good, BUT...

Looks good and has an impressive list of hardware goodies. My problem is NOT the price, though. The weak link in this chain is that it obviously runs Windows. To me, this is like having a Ferrari body, with a Yugo engine.

We've been talking about this new behemoth from Sony in the Macbook Air forums as it's the same weight as an MBA (it's a premium ultraportable!) but the specs on it are so phenomenal that it'll surely take some beating even from an MBP update.

Sony 2010 Vaio Z Series

sonyvaiozgallery04.jpg

Top spec:
Design: Aluminium + Carbon Fiber
Weight: 3.07lbs or 3.3lbs (depending on which Sony website you visit)
Screen: 13.1", 1920 x 1080 Resolution
CPU: Core i7-620M. 2.66GHz, 3.33GHz Turbo. 35W TDP. 4MB L2 Cache
RAM: 8GB DDR3
SDD: 512GB (Raid 0 available)
Graphics: Nvidia 330M GT 1GB GDDR3 and Intel HD integrated - switchable
Battery: Sony: 6 Hours
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burner
Other: x3 USB2.0, x1 HDMI Out, VGA Out, 802.11 a/b/g/n, GB Ethernet, 2.1 Bluetooth, webcam, mic, SD, Expresscard, Memstick

Not surprisingly the thing's almost insanely expensive at $4500+

With that repertoire, it's going to take quite a lot from Apple for me to go with them in my next update. Remember, and I say this again because of how astonishing it is, the Vaio Z is almost the same weight as the MBA (MBA is 3.0lbs) despite having x2 SSDs, an optical drive and discrete graphics!

I'm not going to pull the trigger yet though. It's a no-brainer to wait to see Apple's hand. They have a few avenues to potentially make me go for them instead for my next notebook:

1) Their multitouch trackpad is king
2) OS. Enhancing their current OS with updates (with Win 7, there's barely much distinction in quality anymore, both have positives over the other)
3) Cooling. It remains to be seen how much of a heat/noise monster the Vaio Z is. If it's unusably hot and loud, it's out. This is one of my main concerns with this as the CPU is 35W TDP.
4) USB3/Light Peak. Sony have only included USB2.0 in the Vaio Z. USB 3.0/light peak would have a huge bearing on my decision.
5) Design. If they produce something out of this earth design-wise (as the MBA almost is), then I'll shamelessly go for Apple. Design means a lot and there's not a better design in existence at the moment than the sensational-looking Air (Sony's new Vaio X is a second imo).
6) Improved IGP/Discrete interface. Eg as recent threads in the main news forum suggest Apple are looking into and may be one of the main factors for the delay.
7) OLED. With latest technology to minimize panel degradation.
8) Some other as yet unknown X-Factor. Remember, this is Apple :D Though in saying that, I have to say the iPad had no X-factor for me at all.

I can't imagine any company trumping the processor, RAM nor SSD that Sony have selected at this stage. With Apple's history of not incorporating bleeding-edge tech even in their flagship notebooks (the Macbook Air is a stunning exception), I'm not massively optimistic, nevertheless I can't wait to see how Apple respond especially with Steve Jobs recent quote:

"New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level"

Despite the Arrandale Apple notebook delays (I'm religiously following the Arrandale thread with all of you), maybe the delay signifies something. Maybe we're in for a treat :)

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Why do some of you guys care so much about USB 3.0? It's not like there are an abundance of products that use that technology as of yet.

Yes there are. There are a few USB 3.0 external HDD available allready.

And next month the market will be flooded with USB 3.0 external HDD since companies such as Western Digital have already announced their new external HDD to be released in March with added USB 3.0

If Apple doesn't put USB 3.0 on their new MBP it's just horrible for people that like to use an external HDD because firewire and USB 2.0 are very slow.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Has anyone else noticed that this has the same major downside that the original Unibody MacBook had? No FireWire. For $4500, you could almost buy the 2.8GHz 15" MBP, which outspecs it in every way apart from i7 & Blu-Ray.

In what way outspec that MBP a Sony Vaio Z?

First let Apple try to make a notebook that have 6 hours of battery in Windows which they cannot do. :rolleyes:

edit: Also the SSD drives are in Raid. That makes it also 2 times faster in comparison to the MBP.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
There hardly, if any, portables/laptops out there that are the size of the MacBook Air. Comparisons are still valid based on size as well as weight - it all falls into one category.

It's hardly valid. You could probably stack two MacBook Airs from opposite ends to equal the thickness of the Sony. Something that is half as thick obviously does not have the room inside for all that stuff not to mention thermal management of more powerful processors so how could you possibly compare them? :confused:

I know, let's compare a motorcycle and a compact car since they are both vehicles. :rolleyes:

JosX

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2009
Northumberland, UK
I'm guessing a hefty amount of the $4500 price tag is due to the "Signature Collection" bit, dual SSD and blu-ray drive.

The Vaio Z outspecs it in practically every way. Superior CPU, superior graphics, superior screen, option for SSD drives, far better implementation of switching hybrid graphics, and it's 2 pounds lighter.
Personally I would never say a 13" screen is superior to a 15", the 2" size difference would also explain the weight, I agree on the graphics, and the MBP does have an option for SSDs. It also has FireWire, an option for a matte screen & a far superior trackpad.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Personally I would never say a 13" screen is superior to a 15", the 2" size difference would also explain the weight, I agree on the graphics, and the MBP does have an option for SSDs. It also has FireWire, an option for a matte screen & a far superior trackpad.

But the SSD's can't be put in raid on a MBP. The performance is far greater than a MBP also in that area.

Trackpad is impossible to say unless you have used both. From experience OS X works better with gestures than Windows. But never tried a Sony Z so I can't comment on that.

JosX

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2009
Northumberland, UK
But the SSD's can't be put in raid on a MBP. The performance is far greater than a MBP also in that area.

Trackpad is impossible to say unless you have used both. From experience OS X works better with gestures than Windows. But never tried a Sony Z so I can't comment on that.
I'm not saying the MBP out specs it in every way, but the Sony does seem to have allot missing that a high end laptop should have, although if I was going to buy a PC & money wasn't an issue, I would still definitely buy this or an Alienware m15x, another laptop with similar specs that is far cheaper, although if I ever got the Alienware I wouldn't be able to use it as a laptop... Taking it into public would be to embarrassing.

As for the trackpad, obviously I can't really compare, but just looking at it, it's obviously much smaller, I'm assuming just like any other Sony Vaio trackpad, not as nice to the touch & less gestures. The MBP trackpad seems almost perfect for me, although I do with the physical button had stayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.